Can anyone recommend a good aromatic?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipedJimmy

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm looking for a good aromatic, I've tried some like, American Blend's Sweet Peach, Planta's Black Vanilla Flake and some other in-house recipies. I was planning to buy some University Flake but looking through reviews on Tobacco Reviews, the magic seems to have gone out of the blend. I live in England so Boswell products seem to be out of the market as they only accept relatively large orders and I don't have that much money! Can anyone give me some ideas??

I enjoy all of the WO Larsen aromatics - Signature, Old Fashioned, and 1864. Samuel Gawith has a few American style aromatics if that is what you're looking for.

Also, check out 4noggins. He ships overseas and will have a range of American aromatics. Cornell and Diehl's aromatics can't be beat.

AThe only true aromatic I would recommend is SG's Celtic Talisman. Another tobacco that is cased and has some aromatic qualities IMHO and is very good is Shortcut to Mushrooms.

Actually, the Gawith houses make many good aromatics IMO. In an English style of aromatic. The flavorings used are different than what we get in American style. Coniston Cut Plug, Dark Flake unscented and scented, 1792 Flake. Good stuff.

University Flake is not an arromatic. My favorite arromatics are Peterson's, with the favorite being Connoiseurs choice followed by Sweet killarney.

Texas Outlaw":82il8x1a said:
University Flake is not an arromatic.
Huh? I always thought that it had a blueberry essence topping? Perhaps something has changed since last I tried it? Did they recently change the recipe?

Kapnismologist":5z7ehhsm said:
Texas Outlaw":5z7ehhsm said:
University Flake is not an arromatic.
Huh? I always thought that it had a blueberry essence topping? Perhaps something has changed since last I tried it? Did they recently change the recipe?
Thought it was a straight va; let me see if I have any in the cellar.

I have recently smoked Stanwell Melange and it is a very good aromatic. It is one of the few aromatics that I have smoke that actually taste as good as the tin aroma. Some of the C&D blends are like that.
I don't know if C&D blends are available over there but if they are or if you can afford to order them, they have some excellent aromatics. I believe they still blend a line of English aromatics also.

PipedJimmy":8hi42f9l said:
Hey there, I'm looking for a good aromatic, I've tried some like, American Blend's Sweet Peach, Planta's Black Vanilla Flake and some other in-house recipies....
Can you describe what you didn't like about these? Were they too fruity? too sweet? too weak? too bitey?, etc.

That will help others with their recommendations.

Like Carlos said, there's alot in the GH line: from 1792 to Ennerdale, from Kendal Flake to Rum Flake, Top Black Cherry, Coconut Twist, etc.

Try pipesandcigars.com. They do international orders. Right now they have a closeout sale on CAO tobaccos. The Sweet Vanilla Honeydew and the Milonga are both pretty good aromatics. pipesandcigars.com's Trout Stream from their Adirondack Series is quite good. Also look at Stanwell's Melange, haven't tried it but it is getting good reviews and is reasonably priced.

I just ordered Trout Stream from pipesandcigars.com and Wilke #191 from Pipeworks and Wilke based on each having very good reviews. Haven't tried them yet, so not necessarily a recommendation other than that when I had asked a bunch of folks I was recommended these two the most. I hope they will both be here by Monday/Tuesday.

Hate to rain on your parade, Tex, but University Flake is indeed an aromatic. It has a very noticeable blueberry(ish) topping. It's not unpleasant (though it is too strong for me in large pipes). You'll probably like it a lot, actually.

I like a lot of the blends mentioned. But I will also second the vote for Peterson. Connoiseur's Choice is tasty, the Luxury Blend (NOT De Luxe Mixture) is outstanding, and Gold Blend is not bad at all either. I get a hankering for these about once a week.

Larsen stuff is good too, but a bit heavy on the flavoring for me.

Doesn't surprise me since most Peterson's are arros. I like it regardless. Y'all make me wanna open a tin.