Can anyone recommend a strong perique blend?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alfredo_buscatti":xsk58317 said:
An idea would be to get real perique from St. James Parish and mix it with straight VAs in larger quantities, with VA/Periques in smaller quantities.
I had done that once, several years ago, when I let field studies trips down onto Cajun country. I was able to go to the only producing farm in the Parish (at the time) and we had a tour of the fields, barn, and spoke with the old man (I can't for the life of me remember his name) about growing tobacco and specifically perique.

Before we left he brought out what looked like a large, wet loaf of rye bread, cut off about half a pound, and gave it to me. It was straight, aged perique and I was able to mix it with various Virginia blends over the next few years. Alas, it's only a distant memory today. :(

Natch

Glad I found this thread. I tried some of McClellands St. James Woods today which was recommended by my tobacconists, but I thought that Beacon Extra had more in it.

I also had a bowl of the blending Perique straight from the can . After hearing all the horror stories about it, I thought it was really nice

McClelland 2015 pepper comes through brilliantly here!
Bayou morning flake (C&D)

Piet Binsbergen":tkaf6fqx said:
Bought and tried the Bayou morning flake today....I like the Beacon Extra alot better.

Found out my local B&M down the street has the 2015 in bulk and it is called "Southport"

I'm never going to be able to retire at this rate. :shock: But I'll have a garage full of tobacco. :cheers:

hobie1dog":cyw3fmxv said:
Piet Binsbergen":cyw3fmxv said:
Bought and tried the Bayou morning flake today....I like the Beacon Extra alot better.

Found out my local B&M down the street has the 2015 in bulk and it is called "Southport"

I'm never going to be able to retire at this rate. :shock: But I'll have a garage full of tobacco. :cheers:
:cheers: :cheers:

hobie1dog":z2dn4ouh said:
I worship the Sun,but I don't pray to Sun, know who I pray to?...Piet Binsbergen cause he looks like a guy who makes things happen.
smiley_worship.gif
Wow Piet, you have achieved "God Mode" :lol!:

bluedigital":gle83eog said:
hobie1dog":gle83eog said:
I worship the Sun,but I don't pray to Sun, know who I pray to?...Piet Binsbergen cause he looks like a guy who makes things happen.
smiley_worship.gif
PM sent!!!

bluedigital":f66p87nj said:
hobie1dog":f66p87nj said:
smiley_worship.gif
You have to go watch the George Carlin video and that line is at 7:15-7:45 or so in the video( it's about a 10 minute long video). It's one of my all time favorite video's, so many great things are said in that skit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

Natch":hgg252x3 said:
alfredo_buscatti":hgg252x3 said:
An idea would be to get real perique from St. James Parish and mix it with straight VAs in larger quantities, with VA/Periques in smaller quantities.
I had done that once, several years ago, when I let field studies trips down onto Cajun country. I was able to go to the only producing farm in the Parish (at the time) and we had a tour of the fields, barn, and spoke with the old man (I can't for the life of me remember his name) about growing tobacco and specifically perique.

Before we left he brought out what looked like a large, wet loaf of rye bread, cut off about half a pound, and gave it to me. It was straight, aged perique and I was able to mix it with various Virginia blends over the next few years. Alas, it's only a distant memory today. :(

Natch
Was that old man Percy Martin? He is the man when it comes to perique.