Capstan & Three Nuns

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad Three Nuns will be the current VaBur version, and not the VaPer version that was so great. The current version is fine - I'm smoking a bowl now - but it's not magical as the old version. I'll wait until the hoarders have their say before I sweat buying it.

I for one will not be bothering with this abomination called Three Nuns. To my mind it is not right to trade on the name of one of the best blends in the history of pipe tobacco with a version that is nothing like the original. The bean counters got a hold of this blend and determined they could make more money by deleting the more expensive perique that was in the original. They now expect people to flock to it because of the name and not the taste, it is not right and it is insulting. They ruined this once classic blend and they should not be rewarded for it.

Ok I am off my soap box.

I'm looking forward to try all these blends. I sure do appreciate Mac Baren and the folks that made possible to have these blends available in the US again. I don't have any Capstan tins left, I never really stocked up on them, but I still have quite a few of the square Three Nuns tins I purchased in the 90's. I will do a comparison once I've tried the new generation.

wetdottle, I am also looking forward to trying the Capstan flakes, and hope they are tasty. You are fortunate to have multiple square tins of TN still around, I am down to my last one. If I had known it was being discontinued I would have loaded up.

Being as I've never had any of them, I'm looking forward to seeing what they're all about. Just a tin of each should be enough to lmk if these are in my wheelhouse.

Cheers,

RR

M9VGWEN.jpg

:p :roll: :fpalm:

Sadly, I will not be getting any Three Nuns as after checking with smokingpipes.com, I've found that it is NO LONGER a VaPer, but now is a cased VaBur. :( NOT AT ALL what the old Bell's Three Nuns was ! ( I don't do well with Burley) But I am gonna try some of the Capstan Flakes as they are supposed o be pure Va's :cheers:

monbla256":awi32aqj said:
Sadly, I will not be getting any Three Nuns as after checking with smokingpipes.com, I've found that it is NO LONGER a VaPer, but now is a cased VaBur. :( NOT AT ALL what the old Bell's Three Nuns was ! ( I don't do well with Burley) But I am gonna try some of the Capstan Flakes as they are supposed o be pure Va's :cheers:
That notwistanding mon, I'll still be trying it out as I've never had the prior iteration. And I'm OK with burley.

:rabbit:

Cheers,

RR

You know, regardless of liking them or not, what I'm happy about is the fact that these new blends are going to be available. It seems that the trend has been against us, with many blends under constant threat (think Escudo). And I also appreciate that Mac Baren seems to be committed to bring us good stuff and want to encourage them to continue to do so.

Harris, I do understand the disappointment with Three Nuns and I, too, wish they would bring the original formulation back. For those looking for it, I suggest Villiger After Dinner. Have you tried it?

I'm looking forward to getting the alert email and navigating to SP to see that they've all been sold. :p

I hate Perique but I'll probably try to get a sampling for the cellar. Maybe it will mellow.

It's weird that they'd go from a virginia to a burley. That's a giant leap when you're shooting for nostalgia.

You would think the corp guys would make more money off either famous version than the current blend that no one is lauding. A loss for the pipe world.

I'll visit these in six months when the "OMG-NEW-TOY!!!" dust settles and everyone gets their fill (or bored) and there's tins available. 8)

Just enough time to pop the tin of Capstan that Miss Beetle sent me a while back and figure out if I care or not. :lol:

Where the hell has that girl been lately, anyway? :scratch:

I'm enjoying a nice bowl of C&D's Three Friars right now as I type this. A very tasty VA,burley & perique mixture that packs easy, burns well and delivers a good middle of the road smoke. (all without trying to recreate a darn thing!)

Maybe I'll give these a try someday but it's not likely to be anytime soon - more than likely it'll be after the novelty has worn off and the retailers start selling 'em at discounted prices to clear their inventory. :lol: :suspect:

alfredo_buscatti":8cw8pas1 said:
You would think the corp guys would make more money off either famous version than the current blend that no one is lauding. A loss for the pipe world.
The know full well that after all the years since the original's disappearance, many of those who remember it well are no longer interested in it, or perhaps, no longer. So, they can put whatever they want in the tin, and count on legions of relatively new pipe smokers to flock to it, to "experience the legend." They'll sell a ton of it, and if it's good, it doesn't even really matter that it bears little resemblance to the original; they'll continue to sell a ton of it, and the throngs will continue to believe they're experiencing the legend. They'll tell their friends about it, and soon, the number of smokers who think this new "version" of Three Nuns is the real thing will outnumber those who know it isn't by a significant multiplier.

And, they'll do this because they've watched it happen before with other blends masquerading as once-great, legendary products. As long as there is someone to buy it, there will be someone to sell it.

Three Nuns hasn't been Three Nuns for a very, very long time, and there is little reason to believe that it will suddenly become Three Nuns again with yet another factory producing it. Ditto Capstan. These may turn out to be delicious tobaccos, but that's not the point, is it? (The tobacco world doesn't have an exclusive on this sort of nonsense, either. Years ago, when Heinz bought Lea & Perrins, arguably because they wanted to own the recipe for their super Worcestershire sauce, the immediately turned round and f'd up that very recipe, whilst still robing the stuff in the same livery. Malt vinegar was replaced with distilled white vinegar. Real sugar disappeared in lieu of high fructose corn syrup. I called BS then, and I call it now. [The HFCS has, probably because of huge public outcry, been removed from the formula, but the distilled white vinegar is still a poor substitute for malt vinegar.])

I'm really not trying to get all sour grapes about it, but I'm just old-fashioned enough to believe that a brand should actually mean something. All these "reintroductions" are like a homeless meth addict knocking out your best man, nicking his tuxedo and showing up at your wedding with a plastic ring stolen from a broken gumball machine, and I'll stop there...

Well ranted, Greg, and spot on.

As long as they seem to have VA and burley available, I wish they (including um, domestic blenders..) would at least try to duplicate the long-gone Troost slices.

GCook":gd3i1hrv said:
Well ranted, Greg, and spot on.

As long as they seem to have VA and burley available, I wish they (including um, domestic blenders..) would at least try to duplicate the long-gone Troost slices.
Nothing to add. Except that Greg is right on the mark!

Cheers,

RR

Kyle Weiss":fo2kudy4 said:
I'll visit these in six months when the "OMG-NEW-TOY!!!" dust settles and everyone gets their fill (or bored) and there's tins available. 8)

Just enough time to pop the tin of Capstan that Miss Beetle sent me a while back and figure out if I care or not. :lol:

Where the hell has that girl been lately, anyway? :scratch:
THIS!

:?:

Cheers,

RR