Card Cobs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveaux

Reaction score
I was in the local B&M (really an RYO/smokeless shop) today, buying a new cob. They have a couple hanging displays with Diplomats, Legends, etc.. I grabbed another Card Cob ... I think it was my sixth.

The Card Cobs look exactly like the Legends, except the outer rims aren't perfect and they are blister-paced on a card. Is this what MM does with their seconds?

The Card Cobs are $2.89, while Legends command a whopping $5.39. :affraid:

Prior to my interest in bringing my pipe smoking up to the level of my cigar smoking, I always figured Card Cobs were just fine for my PA, CH, H&H, and FB.

Am I missing something, or are these just cosmetic seconds?

These "Card Cobs" I have found randomly, cleared out a Walgreens in a tiny town here in Nevada that had them on the clearance rack... $2 a piece. They seem to all have an odd butter-yellow tinge to them, none of them are hardwood plugged on the bottom, and many have the honey-colored plastic stem. I like 'em, and with some care and eventually a little pipe mud to shore up the bottom, they're as reliable as any other cob.

8)

Seen the sack o seconds today. Really thinking about ordering it for no other reason than a good deal. I was looking at the 2 pack of gentlemans but didn't like the fact they are filtered.

Kyle Weiss":921496wd said:
These "Card Cobs" I have found randomly, cleared out a Walgreens in a tiny town here in Nevada that had them on the clearance rack... $2 a piece. They seem to all have an odd butter-yellow tinge to them, none of them are hardwood plugged on the bottom, and many have the honey-colored plastic stem. I like 'em, and with some care and eventually a little pipe mud to shore up the bottom, they're as reliable as any other cob.

8)
Yes, they are more yellow. I just peeled a sticker off one and you're right, no plug. Mystery solved.

I'm going to grab a few more. They've always held up, smoking-wise, but tend to suffer ignominious fates (lost, drowned, broken, my buddy's bird dog ate one, etc.). Upon reflection, I think I've gone through more like eight or nine.

This forum is such a great resource.

Thanks, Brother.

Geez, you do go through a few. My first one is a year old, few chips on the edges from being dropped, the plastic bit had a nice, comfy tooth divot, and has had a good hundred-plus bowls through it. I don't see it conking out any time soon.

No harm in stockpilin' 'em. They're a great way to introduce curious fellers into pipes, too.

8)

Kyle Weiss":852yc17e said:
Geez, you do go through a few. My first one is a year old, few chips on the edges from being dropped, the plastic bit had a nice, comfy tooth divot, and has had a good hundred-plus bowls through it. I don't see it conking out any time soon.

No harm in stockpilin' 'em. They're a great way to introduce curious fellers into pipes, too.

8)
They're the ultimate knock-around pipe. Cheap, functional, good to go after just a few bowls. I did give one to a friend. He's run at least two cans of SWR through it, and shows no signs of slowing down.

Most of the 'Card Cobs' I've seen are the MM Legends. MM does offer different varieties in Card form to retailers, so I guess it's whichever that particular retailer orders.

Speaking of Cobs, I just ordered another MM Freehand. Had one years ago and it was great!

The cared cobs usually are imperfect Legends or Washingtons, I think.

tiltjlp":wcpr3s39 said:
That's what I was thinking, John. But Kyle's right. There is no plug in the one I peeled.

You got it, Rob !!!

:bounce:

Steveaux":v6x49jdk said:
tiltjlp":v6x49jdk said:
That's what I was thinking, John. But Kyle's right. There is no plug in the one I peeled.

You got it, Rob !!!

:bounce:
Right, there are no plugs in the Legend, Washingon, Eaton, Mizzou, Pony Express, or Country Gentleman. Unless I'm mistaken, all the other models have plugs.

tiltjlp":d21ag31x said:
Right, there are no plugs in the Legend, Washingon, Eaton, Mizzou, Pony Express, or Country Gentleman. Unless I'm mistaken, all the other models have plugs.
Well, this is now about as clears as mud.

I guess I could bug the nice folks at MM.

Heh ... an awful lot of dialog for a $3 pipe.

:)

Went and picked up a couple card cobs today.

9-13-12002.jpg

9-13-12003.jpg

The guy at the shop told me they would only last about 90 days and then have to be thrown out. : )

jbrown287":hjdc8z8u said:
Went and picked up a couple card cobs today.

9-13-12002.jpg

9-13-12003.jpg

The guy at the shop told me they would only last about 90 days and then have to be thrown out. : )
Those are nice.

The guy at the shop needs to be thrown out within 90 days.

Did either of those come shrink-wrapped to a card, like this ?

P9130089.jpg

This is why I call them "Card" Cobs.

No. They were on a display......that's why I thought they were called cards???? Am I wrong?

jbrown287":lt70af30 said:
No. They were on a display......that's why I thought they were called cards???? Am I wrong?
Let's just go with "misdirected". ;)

I understand your confusion. The wall displays are really just big cards with wires on them.

I believe the bent is a Diplomat, and the straight is a Washington.

You're right, Steve.

The one with the wooden plug in the bottom is a Diplomat. That particular one is the newer model, since there's currently a shortage of Fatter cobs to make the traditional Diplomat shape.

That's one heck of a Cob and will last for many years if you take care of it.