Card Cobs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if I were a store owner, I'd put lifespans on my products, too. If, that is, I assumed my customers were all gullible and I was okay with misleading them to make a few more bucks. :lol: Hopefully the guy working there that told you about the 90-day throw-out period was also mislead.

Even milk is good after the expiration date: we call it "cheese." With certain care, it can even taste quite good.

These "Card Cobs" are usually sold in those blister packs, shrink-wrapped to a red card with retail information, advertising, and a cute story printed on the back...as pictured above. I think they're pretty keen, kind of a throwback product delivery system whose design (or the pipe itself, really) is not intended for today's world. I love it.

8)

I doubt he was misinformed. He made reference to his 20 years of pipe smoking every time i would ask a question or mention something i had read on the internet. He even said the internet was the worst place to learn about pipes. The sad thing is they have a really nice cigar humidor and a lot of pipe stuff but i doubt I'll spend much money there unless its a need situation. The straight pipe is smoking wonderfully. I had to put it down because I was starting to feel tongue bite. So far I'm really liking these and can't wait to try the bent.

If you're getting tongue bite from your cob, sometimes packing a little firmer helps. At least this is what solved a few flavor/tongue issues on my end. It's tough to say. Might be you're just enjoying the heck out of them and smoking too much. :lol:

So, the Internet is the worst place to learn about pipes, huh? I wonder if the sells GL Pease tobacco. Greg's one of my favorite Internet sources to learn about pipes (and chat with occasionally) on the Internet. I'm inclined to believe him over a store owner. Plus, Monbla here's been smoking for 40 years, and that trumps 20 years, and I guarantee I like Monbla more. :)

Yep, mouthful of wasps, as I say, but that's what expectations get a fella. Gotta filter out the bullshirts no matter where you go, digital or in real life.

For fun, I'd make it a game to see how much past 90 days you can take your cob. Yeah, you might get a burnout in the bottom of that Washington, but my Washington is the first I ever got, had it for a year now, and I "pipe mudded" the bottom--seems unstoppable now.

Also, I know it's the Internet, but you should print out and give this to the store owner:

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer (evil propaganda!) :lol:

8)

I love 'em.

I know my oldest cob is at least four. It's not that I hadn't been smoking a pipe prior to joining BoB, I just hadn't pursued the finer points.

I best get enough to set aside fer these new, high-falutin' 'baccys what's comin'.

The fun ... has begun.

:bom:

Sometimes burnouts post here on BoB and think they're being cute by posting marijuana-related cheekiness, but we make sure they don't have any fun. :lol:

Otherwise, "burnout" is what happens in briar tobacco bowl when a pipe is smoked too hot/hard (and frequently), or when a flaw (like a pit) is somehow overlooked and the pipe burns itself out along that weakness. This unfortunate circumstance can happen anywhere in a pipe, but is unusual outside of a pipe's sensible care while smoking.

In cobs, it's sort of the same, but often times happens in the non-hardwood plugged models, due to the bottom of these kinds of pipes accumulating moisture and heat repeatedly.

It's a relatively easy problem to fix in cobs with pipe mud, and this can also help briars, especially if the problem is noticed right away.

8)