Care of Calabash pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loneredtree

Reaction score
This article covers the care and maintenance ot he calabash pipe. I found this information in a book: “Pipes and Tobacco” by Carl Ehwa, Jr. I hope it answers your questions as well as it has done for me.

The calabash like other pipes need periods of rest and should not be over smoked. The bowl should not be allowed to build a cake as it can split.

The inside of the gourd should be cleaned periodically. To do this, remove the stem and bowl, then pour some alcohol into the gourd . Move the gourd around as you would a brandy snifter for a short time. Then, let it stand for a FEW minutes. This allows the alcohol to break down the tar deposits. After 3 or 4 minutes pour the liquid out through the shank to avoid getting it on the cork. Wipe off the shank cap and stuff the gourd with a soft cloth to absorb excess moisture. Remove the cloth and let the gourd dry over night or as long as necessary. If the calabash is smoked often and hard this procedure should be done once a week.

The bottom of the bowl may become dark and soft in time. When this happens, take the bowl off and turn it upside down. Lite it with a lighter until it supports a flame. When the flame dies after it burns off the tars, let the bowl cool completely. The tip should be hard and back to normal.

A cracked gourd can be repaired by smearing epoxy on the inside and compressing the gourd with rubber bands or pipe cleaners. After it dries the excess epoxy can be pealed away.

Happy puffing.

“Pipes and Tobacco” by Carl Ehwa, Jr to me is the pipe smoking Bible.

Yes it is. I found it in a used book store. I have had it 3 years and just started to read it in detail. Lots there for sure.

If the freezer trick does not work, take a dishtowel and wrap the bottom lip of the bowl with it. Then use a hairdryer to heat the gourd up to get it to expand while the bowl stays cooler and give it a twist. Each time you try let it cool back down to room temperature before trying again. Try heating it longer and more aggressive each time repeating. Have patience and good luck.