Carol Burns, ex-tobacconista

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinM

Reaction score
I received a message on FB today from Pipeworks and Wilke in which Carol Burns said she plans to leave the tobacco blending business, though P&W will continue selling pipes and associated hardware. Carol said she is looking for a buyer for the tobacco blending piece of P&W, but gave no reason in her message for the exit, so I won't speculate, even though we're all thinking the same thing.  I think her blends smoked beautifully and were of very high quality. I recall times that Carol opted to pull a blend, because the available leaf wasn't up to her standards. Basil Rathbone, wherever you are, you'd better phone your final order in, because it will soon be no more. Entropy at work, I'm tellin' ya.

Sad news, and an end of an era really.  I have had a handful of Wilke blends and they were all pretty darn good. She is a very nice person to chat with on the phone. Whenever I call her it's kind of like ordering take out from my favorite neighborhood restaurant. Sad news indeed.

Id like to see Rich at 4noggins pick 'em up. A nearly one stop shop for my baccy needs would happen.

Very sad news! I was just as shocked when GQ closed its doors. I felt real bad for Glynn. That's the main reason everyone should focus on stocking up their cellar's before February of 2018 before getting your favorite tobacco could be a thing of the past. However, there will always be good tobacco available, but at a much higher price!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Ozark Wizard":cg4sluqj said:
Perhaps there is a way to replicate said blends?
Won't happen. It'll cost too much to do it, thanks to the new FDA rules. And if another company buys the blends, the FDA may possibly consider them to be new blends, and thus subject to new testing and fees. I say buy what you can from her now, because there likely won't be a later.

Some of my faves. Churchill has just a smidge of Latakia, and Nut Brown Burley is lucious-

WILKE CHURCHILL
Mr. Churchill fancied his cigar. I believe he would have been pleased with the liberal amount of cigar leaf that is added the Virginias, Burley, Latakia and Perique that makes up this traditional English mixture. A robust tobacco and a special treat.

WILKE NUT BROWN BURLEY
A distinctive blend of aged cube cut Burley . An old fashioned slow burning tobacco with a naturally pleasant aroma, and no added sweeteners

And even though I'm mostly off Lat blends right now, #78 was one of my go-to's. Not a Lat bomb, and still occasionally enjoy a bowl of it-

WILKE No. 78
A classic English blend made of the finest Latakia, Perique, a medium cut Burley and Virginias. This is an ideal blend for the smoker who enjoys a spicy and full bodied smoke that is also smooth.

http://vtpipes.com/tobacco.html

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":4ph03icr said:
Some of my faves. Churchill has just a smidge of Latakia, and Nut Brown Burley is lucious-

WILKE CHURCHILL
Mr. Churchill fancied his cigar. I believe he would have been pleased with the liberal amount of cigar leaf that is added the Virginias, Burley, Latakia and Perique that makes up this traditional English mixture. A robust tobacco and a special treat.

WILKE NUT BROWN BURLEY
A distinctive blend of aged cube cut Burley . An old fashioned slow burning tobacco with a naturally pleasant aroma, and no added sweeteners

And even though I'm mostly off Lat blends right now, #78 was one of my go-to's. Not a Lat bomb, and still occasionally enjoy a bowl of it-

WILKE No. 78
A classic English blend made of the finest Latakia, Perique, a medium cut Burley and Virginias. This is an ideal blend for the smoker who enjoys a spicy and full bodied smoke that is also smooth.

http://vtpipes.com/tobacco.html

Cheers,

RR
Hmmm. It might be enough.......…