castello sea rock pipes- estate or new?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rikowrites

Reaction score
Hello BOB:

Castello appears to have a fine rep. Some say equal to or better than Dunhill. What are your thoughts?

Better in every way but the white dot :lol:

Dunhill does the classic shapes better, Castello does above average smokers with modest artistic license taken on classic shapes (Which are fabulously executed, IMHO). Castello only makes lucite stems (a big plus, IMHO) and Dunhill has all that romance of days gone by and British history and all that. Pick yer poison, they're both great, probably one will sing to you a bit more than the other but it will be a matter of personal preference.

rikowrites":ccfw3u2w said:
Some say equal to or better than Dunhill. What are your thoughts?
Marty Pulvers":ccfw3u2w said:
Every so often, an internal issue captures the attention of all pipe hobbyists and demands thoughtful analysis and commands many column inches of copy. Issues such as that provide satisfaction to me because I stay far away from them.

No, what brings me to the fore is rumor and gossip...the stuff fueled by insinuation and innuendo of a quality that would make old Senator Joe McCarthy proud.We are lucky to have just such a topic hitting the market, in the guise of a story in Pipes & Tobaccos magazine. We are talking about the article on Dunhill, which has a number of hobby veterans annoyed, their claim being this is purely a puff piece.

Yes, it is a puff piece, but isn't everything that Pipes & Tobaccos publishes a puff piece? I haven't seen a single pipe maker labeled mediocre and over priced. We old timers have seen this before, when Bruce Spencer
published a magazine that avoided any whiff of honest criticism in its aim to promote the hobby to sell more magazines. Correspondent Regis McCafferty (who writes and collects money from Pipes & Tobaccos as have
I) notices this unenlightened self-interest about the magazine and it's hard to disagree with his assessment.

Much of the criticism of the Dunhill article centers on credibility. The Dunhill spokesman alleges only 5% of the briar they buy, specifically dedicated to produce Dunhills, makes it into a pipe and the rest is burned. Why would they have such a difficult time buying wood that is as worthy as everyone else's briar? Nobody throws that much briar away, including the most
exclusive, high grade pipe makers. Plus, if the Dunhill briar is so much better than the Parker & Charatan briar, as he claimed (foolishly, I should think) why not use it for those pipes if it is already on hand and superior? It makes no sense at all.

What is credible is the statement that Dunhill's Stephen Wilson made to P&T writer Stephen Ross, saying that "I can tell you that the same quality standards in place in 1969 are still in place today." Sadly, according to Bill
Ashton Taylor in a conversation we had in England a few years ago, Dunhill's quality standards nose-dived in 1968 when they went to using an 8 pipe frasing machine and ceased their oil-curing process. I think Bill Taylor had a good handle on how Dunhill operated. He worked there for 25 years. I personally question the statement that "all White Spot (notice the absence of the word 'Dunhill' the craven dogs) pipe bowls are turned at the factory in north London."

Bjarne Nielsen told me, point blank, that Dunhill came to him during the RTDA and asked him to sell them bowls. Bjarne explained to Dunhill that the only bowls he could possibly make available to them was inferior briar
because he used all the good pieces. According to Bjarne, and I did not misunderstand or mis-hear any of this, the Dunhill people said they did not care. Now, as far as I am concerned, after years of close observation
(Bjarne stayed at our home for a number of years during his annual pipe-sellng trip to Northern California) Bjarne was incapable of fabricating such a story. Furthermore, he requested that I not repeat the story, which I did not while he was alive. He's dead now and I feel no obligation to keep quiet. You, of course, are fully licensed to believe who and what you want.

I also have heard information, directly from the owner of a pipe factory in France, that they make pipes for Dunhill and have for years. But, when it comes down to taking the stand and raising my right hand, it has to be
acknowledged that I am dealing in second hand information. I have no first hand information with which to finger that Dunhill article as a pack of prevarication. It is, as suggested above, a bunch of innuendo and insinuation, a low form of communication in which I excel...as do so many other people, many of whom, unlike me, call themselves public informants.
I'm sure that I don't need to tell you that whatever it is you want to believe, that is what is true.
:face:

IMHO I prefer a new castello over a new dunhill but an older dunhill (pre 70's) over a new castello. But I echo PD in the fact that both pipes are great smokes.

Cigar2you":demfrs49 said:
IMHO I prefer a new castello over a new dunhill but an older dunhill (pre 70's) over a new castello. But I echo PD in the fact that both pipes are great smokes.
Hear Hear!! :cheers:

estate or new: estate
Castello or Dunhill: Dunhill

I say this purely on smoking qualities. I prefer the Italian aesthetic. I've owned a good 15 Castellos in the past, from giant tobacco hogs to standard sized shapes (all from the 70s and 80s). I don't think anyone makes a more classic, classy Lovat. However, I've never had a great smoking Castello. A couple have been average smokes, but none of them impressed me of note. I've had a couple Dunhills that were tried and true great smokers, which made up for the fact that I didn't like to look at them or hold them. I gladly sold those Dunhills, and when I was shaving my collection down to a few essentials, I didn't have to think twice about selling the Castellos. The one thing they have in common with Dunhill is that they are greatly overpriced and overvalued.

I have a few Castellos because I like their Trademark finish. However, to me, they have quite a unique taste. I don't know how to explain it, but they impart a certain background note to the flavor. This note subsides, but it never quite goes away, at least in my pipes, of which the oldest was purchased in the late 90's. This is to say that I find Castellos to be quite unique pipes, and one has to try before deciding if this is a pipe that fits the bill or not. I wouldn't say they are better or worse than other pipes, just different. So, my recommendadtion is to try one and decide for yourself. Similarly, I wouldn't say they are better nor worse than Dunhills, "better" is too general of a term, but nowadays if I were to buy a pipe I would unhesitantly choose a Castello over a Dunhill. However, I don't like Castello's carved finishes and will never buy one. YMMV...

I've had the complete opposite experience than Zeno. I have two 1950s Dunhills and they won't stay lit and when they do, smoke very hot and wet. My Castellos on the other hand, basically smoke themselves and stay dry and cool.

It just goes to show that different pipes give different results. However, in the value department I would agree that Dunnies are overpriced. As I understand it they've been pretty much machine made since '59.

Castellos on the other hand are each made by hand in what I believe they refer to as an "artisan's workshop". This is why I consider the smoking qualities to be more consistent and worth every penny.

Again, this is just my experience.

I love my Castellos, I own several. I love my Dunhills, I own eleven; all made between 1920 and 1969!!!!!! Wouldn't buy a new one "on a bet!" Just my opinion. And, yes, that Dunhill article was total, Class A, Number one......Bull$hit!!!! JMHO, FTRPLT

I've had many of each over 35 years.

They are both good. The trend is Dunhills were excellent until the middle 1960s, took a dive through the 70's, came back somewhat in the 80's and have been holding steady since. Castellos seem to be getting better all the time with the exception of whatever decade it was that they drilled airways weirdly for their "straw system" gimmick. (Since abandoned)

Castello has more "flyers" in their output and grading, while Dunhill is notably more consistent.

All Cassies have Lucite stems, while all Dunnies use rubber.

It's far easier to find a selection of Dunhills in small(er) sizes, and Castellos in large ones.

Both brands are spendy when new and lose considerable value as estates.

You have to try pretty hard to go wrong with either brand, but you CAN match the quality for less. Such as a Peterson first (fill-free) model for an English shape, and a Cavicchi for an Italian one.

My Castellos are consistently better smokers than my Dunnies. Nobody does the classic English shapes better than Dunhill, but for pure smoking quality, I prefer a Castello.

LL":26vi03ig said:
I've had many of each over 35 years.

They are both good. The trend is Dunhills were excellent until the middle 1960s, took a dive through the 70's, came back somewhat in the 80's and have been holding steady since. Castellos seem to be getting better all the time with the exception of whatever decade it was that they drilled airways weirdly for their "straw system" gimmick. (Since abandoned)

Castello has more "flyers" in their output and grading, while Dunhill is notably more consistent.

All Cassies have Lucite stems, while all Dunnies use rubber.

It's far easier to find a selection of Dunhills in small(er) sizes, and Castellos in large ones.

Both brands are spendy when new and lose considerable value as estates.

You have to try pretty hard to go wrong with either brand, but you CAN match the quality for less. Such as a Peterson first (fill-free) model for an English shape, and a Cavicchi for an Italian one.
Coming from you LL,
This info is well worth it, Thanks for sharing!!!!!!! :cheers: