Cellaring Ennerdale

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodos44

Reaction score
Hey B'soB,

Just ran thru my first 8ozs of Ennerdale. Completely loving this stuff. I'm thinking of buying a bunch in bulk, more as a price hedge than anything. Just curious if anyone else has tried some of this after some aging and if it keeps the aroma rather well. I DO enjoy the base tobacco in this immensely but the toppings really put it over the top for me. I'm assuming that the flavorings will fade over time, I'm just curious as to just how much for this particular blend. Thanks.

Scott

GH&Co":v3bjvotb said:
Our best selling flake by a wide margin. Predominately virginia leaf from Brazil, Zimbabwe and Malawi (86%) but with the addition of sun cured Malawi (10%) to add sweetness, strength and to cool the smoke and Malawi Burley (4%) to "carry the flavour" in addition to its cooling and strength qualities. (Burley is very good at absorbing casings and flavours) A background flavour of Almond is enhanced with the addition of fruit flavours, vanilla, and the special 'English type' flavours which give this tobacco its distinctive, yet typical 'English' Aroma associated with the UK best selling brands such as Condor, St Bruno and mellow virginia.
That being the case, if you jar it well, and keep it cool-ish, it should keep virtually forever, becoming gradually sweeter and sweeter as time passes.

:face:

Look, I tell ya what ya do, ya goes and buys 100kg, ya sends it to me, I store it in my favourite pipe, but whilst storing it I must stress I tend to store baccy whilst it is burning, then when I have stored all of it I will send you the aged 'ash' then I will tell you the best way to go forward from there, probably just to order a 100kg of some other baccy, I dunno.......... :twisted: :lol:

People I know who enjoy Ennerdale find it hard to cellar it.
They keep smoking their reserves!

gravel":qs6tvvw3 said:
People I know who enjoy Ennerdale find it hard to cellar it.
They keep smoking their reserves!
Yes I have that problem.

I'm not sure that I will ever get round to cellaring Ennerdale in the quantity required for it to age for a few years. It is more a case of attempting to keep a large reserve supply and even that does not work! I realised recently that what I had thought was a reasonable supply has dwindled rapidly to the point that I need to stock up again very soon.

Feel free to send me your credit card information Kirk. I'll gladly buy a bunch and send someyour way :tongue:

It seems like I have found a favorite tobacco. It'sddefinitely going to be a problem keeping some to cellar. Thanks for the replies.

Scott

So based on some discussions I have read about Ennerdale Flake I throw in a few ounces with my recent order from Smoking Pipes. When I open the box, I am immediately reminded of my sainted grandmother, God rest her soul, who used to wash with nothing but Cashmere Bouquet soap! Sweet Mary, my wife is going to think I have a girlfriend - this stuff smells like women's perfume or something.

I am giving it some time to let it settle down. However, I am afraid to smoke this stuff! :shock:

Cadfael":2gv81x1q said:
So based on some discussions I have read about Ennerdale Flake I throw in a few ounces with my recent order from Smoking Pipes. When I open the box, I am immediately reminded of my sainted grandmother, God rest her soul, who used to wash with nothing but Cashmere Bouquet soap! Sweet Mary, my wife is going to think I have a girlfriend - this stuff smells like women's perfume or something.

I am giving it some time to let it settle down. However, I am afraid to smoke this stuff! :shock:
Welcome to the wonderful world of Lakeland scented tobaccos :D As a reference point, Ennerdale Flake is definitely one of the more "scenty" tobaccos that G&H has to offer. Personally I love them. I spent last summer sampling everything from Grasmere Flake, Glegarry, Bob's Chocolate, & Rum Flake to Coniston and Bosun Cut Plug. These tobaccos offer up some really unique flavors and smoking experiences.

I would highly recommend trying Ennderdale in a Cob to start. A brand new one would be best. If you enjoy it, you have your Ennderdale pipe, if you don't you can ship/trade that cob and the tobacco to someone who does, no big loss. I have two cobs and one briar dedicated to Lakeland scented tobaccos. The cobs are only lightly ghosted after a lot of use. The briar on the other hand will at some point need to be sent to Walker for an ozone treatment if I ever decided to smoke something else in it. :p

I've had some that has been in jars a little over two years and its really good. The added flavors are a bit more harmonious and the tobacco is definitely sweeter and without some of the edge I got when trying some fresh stuff recently. I can't say for sure about long term of 5-10+ years but I'm guessing if stored well it will be just fine, likely better even than the wonderful 2yo stuff I have. Enjoy

.....and don't forget to try gh&co's Kendal flake. It seems a bit overlooked but is another really nice Lakeland flake.

Scott,
You are right on with your thinking about price hedging. Buy all you can afford NOW, because it will never be less expensive than it is today. And with the uncertainty of future taxes and Internet controls now is the time to load up!!
As for losing any flavor, I agree with the otherBrothers here, it will only get sweeter and better. Age may not be a friend to man but it certainly is great for tobacco.:cheers: 

Words of wisdom from doc, above. I pack it loosly in quart jars (so you can put whole flakes in, unbroken), probably no more than 6 to 7 ounces in a jar, seal it tight, and forget about it. I probably have a jar or three of such with a decade or more on them, but they're in one of my boxes marked, "do not open until 2015" so I won't know for a few more years.

Natch

I cellar everything in Ball Mason Jars and just keep them in a closet in the basement.

Would this work?

Texican":2s7m5a49 said:
I cellar everything in Ball Mason Jars and just keep them in a closet in the basement.

Would this work?
Certainly will work. I have jars that have been in storage like that since 1992. Once in a while I'll open one and they are perfectly preserved.