Charatan 109 Special Bulldog

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
riff raff":4baqth3j said:
That is interesting Monblac.  I didn't know the significance of the 2 in the first digit of the shape number.
They sized their standard shapes 1 thru 4 which were NOT equivalent to Dunhill's group sizes as Charatan's numbers were around a 1/2 to full size LARGER than a correspondingly numbered Dunnie.
Here's a reference shape and price wise of their standard shapes back in 1970  that might help. It's a copy of the "catalog/brochure" available at B&M's at that time. I have a couple I picked up filed away.

http://www.tecon-gmbh.de/info_pages.php?pages_id=121%3FosCsid%3D093163f4f79f9136b21700ce1bdf1f80&language=en&osCsid=28818b9eab896a9fc57621f11a90566a

Thanks monblac, I saved a copy of that grade/price chart.  It even shows the Special line.
I did not know that Charatan has a size standard.

riff raff":hheseczs said:
Thanks monblac, I saved a copy of that grade/price chart.  It even shows the Special line.
Can't really say what it is today. THAT is what it WAS back at that time. Remember, they are now made and marketed by the multy brand factory that Dunhill owns. ( Hardcastle, Parker and such). As to whether the new Charatans made today still follow that sizing I don't know .  :twisted:

monbla256":6j34qk6u said:
riff raff":6j34qk6u said:
Can't really say what it is today. THAT is what it WAS back at that time. Remember, they are now made and marketed by the multy brand factory that Dunhill owns. ( Hardcastle, Parker and such). As to whether the new Charatans made today still follow that sizing I don't know .  :twisted:
Based on those prices, I assumed it was a chart from a bygone era!

For sure!! My $45.00 Special Group 3 Pots back in 1970 ( date of the price list) would retail at $ 209.91 today !! :twisted: