Charatan Supreme Lane Era Magnum Cup and Saucer

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onabullit

Reaction score
One of my estate auction finds. Got it for a ridiculous $30! I'm sure others would have bid on it had they known the value as a collectable. Most of the people there were scratching their heads at why I was so thrilled to possess a dead mans pipe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LANE-ERA-CHARATANS-MAKE-SUPREME-MAGNUM-ESTATE-PIPE-50s-/230590315008?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b040fa00#ht_500wt_1156

Anyone have any idea as to the value of this bad boy? I have seen traditional shaped lane era supremes go on ebay for a pretty penny, but I have never seen a Lane Era Magnum up for bid.

Congratulations!!! What a pipe!! Have you fired it up yet? Curious to know how it will smoke. :!:

Nice pipe. Looks like it's in great shape.

Can't help you on value but $30 sounds like a good deal. :cheers:

I wont be firing it up. The bowl is far too large for me. I'm sure it would be a great smoker though. I'm putting it up on ebay next week.

I just read this thread while researching Chartan Supreme pipes. What a smart purchase and resell, I hope that funded some more great pipes for you!

Wow! I hadn't seen this. What a good eye! I would have totally passed that up without a second look. That was quite a return on a small investment.

The freehand carvers at Charatan were some of the most adventurous and strange ever seen in pipe making.

Tidy profit. :)

I am wondering if anyone else gets a "golf" novelty feel from the profile shot, of a wood hitting a ball, or am I just seeing things?

Tim_Haggerty":9j5s4wi2 said:
I am wondering if anyone else gets a "golf" novelty feel from the profile shot, of a wood hitting a ball, or am I just seeing things?
Nope, it's not just you... looks like an antique fairway wood striking a ball.

Zeno Marx":8sspca06 said:
The freehand carvers at Charatan were some of the most adventurous and strange ever seen in pipe making.
I'll say amen to that, I've witnessed some wild looking Charatans on ebay from time to time. And considering they were an English pipe and many of them date back to decades past, those carvers were downright nuts! Creative genuis I suppose.

Frost":7yf35td2 said:
Zeno Marx":7yf35td2 said:
I'll say amen to that, I've witnessed some wild looking Charatans on ebay from time to time. And considering they were an English pipe and many of them date back to decades past, those carvers were downright nuts! Creative genuis I suppose.
Someone coined a phrase that Chartan was a "drinking club that happened to make pipes" or similar. Genius always needs fuel!

...thing looks lik a goiter!

...a slug with a GSW!

...maybe a Python with a chicken inside!

...yeah, those guys at Charatan could be artists, putting interesting and beautifull nuances on traditional shapes. Then there was, as someone said, the 'Three Pints of Guiness Carving Club". lol

Seriously, looks like something any collector of Charatans would swoon over. Good score.

I will say its a very strange looking pipe, not one of my favorites but an excellent buy to resell I will say.