Cheap Pipe Lighters: A Comparative Review

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have around 20 zippos im looking to trade for tins if anyone is interested, i have some rare/ old/ and nice zippos. pm me if anyone is interested.

10-31-2009-4-1.jpg

I've carried this Zippo, given to me by my grandparents as a Christmas gift, almost every day for 22 years this Saturday. The chrome plating has long since worn off most of the shell. It's been sent back 4 times to the factory to have the hinge replaced, free of charge. Each time it's been returned with a brand new insert, as well as the old one.
Service like that is hard to beat!

I've always been in the habit of refilling my Zippo every few days, or when the flame begins to diminish in the slightest. Just never risk it, I also keep a spare flint in the insert. Here's why I hate lighters that aren't windproof and durable and why I wouldn't be caught dead with a Bic--gotta be able to rely on my lighter.

The pipe Zippos are harder to find, I had to mail order mine.

So activating a zippo say 3 times per smoke, for 5 nights in a row and you're empty? I guess I won't go that route then...I thought you could go 3 weeks or so with a fluid chamber as big as it is. :no:

The only thing I dont like about the Zippo is that you have to keep refilling , that doesnt stop me from useing it ocasionaly.

Refilling just becomes one of those matter of course parts of the getting ready for work routine, or something like that. I'll think of whether or not to refill about when I pocket my pipe/tobacco pouch. Then again, I gather many of us here don't smoke every day. A Zippo wouldn't make as much sense for infrequent smoking, especially if you smoke those few bowls inside and away from any wind.

I refill my Zippo daily also. I have two so that I'm prepared if one is sent back to the manufacturer for a new insert. I also always carry a cheap BIC butane just in case the Zippo is out of fuel. A pipe, without a light, is a bad experience.

Right, it's best to make sure. I just ordered a backup pipe Zippo online for only $13. The manufacturer wants $18 for the same item. Back when you could get Zippos (or anything) from drugstores, I scored one for $10. And yet, I still have the same first Zippo I bought eleven years ago. It's a slim design with engravings, still works and looking damn fine--if you want to light a cigarette.

The Resource pipe lighter from Xikar has served me well and the tools included with the lighter have came in handy on more than one occasion. Best $50.00 I ever spent.

May as well add my 2 cents. I keep both my lighters in my truck, which is where I smoke the most.

This one retails in the $75 - $85 range. I enjoy messing with it because it feels so great - well built. The ergos are good for sparking the flame, but lighting a pipe feels awkward, especially relights; thus, its been just a toy. The flame ignites easily in both cold and warm.

IM%20Corona_pipe_magie.jpg

I paid $17 for this in a B&M, 1.5 years ago, and use it exclusively. The ergos are great and relights are a snap even in deep bowls. The flame lights easily when warm, somewhat reluctantly when cold. When I'm smoking in cold weather I sit on it to keep it ready.

Lotus_vertigo_reach.jpg

Excuse me officer...for just a moment while I light my pipe...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041733F2

That's the one I fixed. I have used it little since because I need to refill it and have just been using matches.

My Nibo still works...well, it never worked wonderfully, but it still functions I should say.
Parts began to fall off and I got sick of the ramshackle look

Every time I buy a cheap lighter I regret it. Man, the XiKar is $60.00 and on Pipe Night at my B&M, it's 20% off with an extra 10& off if you're a veteran.

Very nice info on the IMCO lighters . I just took up pipe smoking and am pleased after reading this because my pipe shop sold me a IMCO . I lose bics because they are inexspensive , so I keep track of this one and love the features .It lights at an angle,adjustment wheel at the bottom ,and holds a spare flint .

Does anyone know the origin of these? :?:

I love my imco, had for 11 years and still going strong with a yearly cleaning. 1 fill lasts me about 2 weeks and you can store an extra flint in the little tabs on the lift out section(it is made for a spare). I have only 2 of 5 spares left as I given the other away.

I recently purchased a Fujima - Arrow pipe lighter for $15 US from cheaphumidors.com on eBay. Been using it this week and all seems to be going well!