Cheap Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe 10 years ago a guy on EBAY had a bulk lot of 3 dozen smooth Spanish-made briars, no name, unsmoked, up for sale...All identical..All medium size billiards...I won them all for $ 75......What a deal! Some minor sandpits, NO FILLS...At about $ 2 bucks a pipe I am set for gardening and garage smoking for life! So, keep a lookout on EBAY for similar deals !

NeroWolfe":29gqlgi1 said:
At about $ 2 bucks a pipe I am set for for gardening and garage smoking for life!
I bought quite a few Missouri Meerschaum Legends from a Rite Aid that was going out of business for $2 each and thought that was a decent deal. You definitly did well.

For me it is a Marxman. I took it to my office and and it is the one I am using the most. And gets better everyday!!!

This is probably cheating, but I got a bunch of free briar, including 5 mMarxman pipes and a Tom Howard. I never found anything about the TH, but this is promising. All are awaiting restoration, so I don't know how they smoke. My fingers are crossed

TH with 1554.

I've got an old GBD RJ full bent which I bought for R75.00 ($10.00) about 15 years ago. It's got some "putty" but...it's my #1 favourite. I'm sure horse dung will also taste nice in it!!

Hi, This is my first post but I wanted to get in on this thread. I really like Cheap Pipes. This is a pic of mine. I sand down the Cobs and put silver rings on the stems (I'm a journeyman silversmith). The briar started out as a 50 year old chunk of Sardinian briar and that is it's true color, no stain added. It's a remarkably ugly piece of brair but smokes great. I like Cobs, those are the MM Diplomat and the black one is a Country Gentleman. All of these pipes smoke cooler and just as nice as any of my briar pipes. My high end are about $250 pipes, no real expensive ones. Love Cheap Pipes! Tak

Yak":832u2nbu said:
Reason : seasoning. Briar mellows with time the way tobacco does.

The name on it doesn't matter.
YES! Although I have newer pipes, my best smokers by far are at least 50 years old. I let previous generations break in pipes for me. I have one "high grade", a Don Carlos, that I bought new and it lies somewhere in storage, ignored, maturing. I like my pipes like my women: experienced, inexpensive, good cooks first and foremost, pretty if possible, and feel good in your hands.

Thomas Tkach":3jaxwt5v said:
This is probably cheating, but I got a bunch of free briar, including 5 mMarxman pipes and a Tom Howard. I never found anything about the TH, but this is promising. All are awaiting restoration, so I don't know how they smoke. My fingers are crossed

TH with 1554.
Tom Howard
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Howard

Three weeks ago I saw one VERY DIRTY Parker 109 on eBay, a nice big bulldog. It was in terrible shape according to the photos. My bid for $9.99 was the only one, so it was mine!

I received the pipe 5 days ago. The previous owner must have smoked the pipe for years without ever cleaning it. It took me one whole day to just get it smokable. Since then I've cleaned it up nicely and this is one super pipe. The whole pipe is in perfect condition. It smokes like a champ, it's good looking and it likes any kind of tobacco I feed it.

This surely is the biggest bargain in pipes I've ever bought.

...kind of answers some of the questions I posed in the thread 'please enlighten me...'

Years ago my pipe mentor gave me a new Canadian marked "Made in London, England." He was apologetic because it was a basket pipe with a few odd pits and fills, with nondescript grain, and is a little too big to carry in my breast pocket. But the proportions are perfect, the bowl's walls are 5/16" thick, the draw is open (with never a hint of a whistle), and I've yet to find a tobak it doesn't show to its best. My Dunnies, Upshalls, Comoys and Sav Artisans don't smoke any better.

P.S. Also, I've been smoking it for nearly 40 years. That's a pretty respectable ROI for a basket pipe, even looked at from my mentor's POV:)