Cheetos Popcorn

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years ago, 60 Minutes did a piece on this place in Sweden (?) that is the world's primary laboratory on flavorings. Everyone in foods goes to them to have flavors tested, developed, etc. I mean EVERYONE. Even whiskey companies. If you put it in your mouth, this place is likely to have had something to do with the flavoring component. It's sort of an industry secret...up until the 60 Minutes story. This place is also contracted to do other things with flavors, not just develop said proprietary flavors. One of the cornerstones of their business was the development of making flavors only last X amount of seconds. Why? If you ate three Doritos and got that fix, having the flavors linger in your mouth for 30 minutes, then you wouldn't eat more chips. If the flavor only lasts ten seconds, then you'll keep eating them to get that flavor satisfaction. Thus, you eat the whole damn bag because it never truly satisfies that desire for that particular flavor.

Going back to that thread "what do you miss"...I miss foods...and yes, mostly junk foods...that weren't screwed with to such capitalist minute degree that it crosses the line into sinister, evil, manipulative behavior. When I was a kid, you could indeed literally eat a handful of Doritos and put the bag away. You tasted that fake cheese and spice for the next half hour. Heck, it was so rich that if you ate anything else in that half hour, it too tasted like Doritos.

My point: Cheetos Popcorn that likely tastes too darn good...it would be nice if they also gave you some satisfaction in a handful.

Katie gets these at one of our convenience stores here. She likes them well enough. I can't comment on flavor though as I don't eat popcorn of any kind anymore.

Zeno, I remember exactly what you're talking about. Doritos used to be a serious favorite now I hardly touch them because they just don't taste like they used too. I never could quite put my finger on why but I think you nailed it. The flavor just doesn't hang around anymore. At this point if I found a 30 year old bag I'd eat it lol.

Jim

Huummm well that could be but I'm pretty sure they've reformulated the food more than a few time in the last 30 years. So I'm going to reserve judgement until I find a 30 year old bag to compare lol.

Jim

Think you guys just hit on a new market; consignment sellers of estate junk foods!

I wonder will aged Twinkies go for similar prices as 1970s Balkan Sobronie?

Throwback flavor Doritos? That's a thing? We don't seem to have them here yet. Interesting most interesting.

Jim