Chew

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK so this isn't a snuff question, but I figure it's the best place to put this query out there-

Waaaay back sometime in the mid-60's when I was in Jr. HS (and didn't smoke anything), I was at the checkout line in a drugstore. I saw a tobacco product that looked quite like a brownie. It was rectangular and wrapped in shrink wrap. Being a curious and clueless yoof, when the checkout gal wasn't looking I appropriated this surreptitiously.... yes I stole it! Anyway, not knowing what it really was and intrigued with the mystique of chewing 'baccy, I subsequently bit off a corner of it...

I'll always remember the "hot" flavor as well as the sweetness. I tried to chew this but spat it out pretty much right away as it was overwhelming for a young'un such as myself. Yet the flavor has remained in my memory all these years. I always wondered what it was and what the brand might have been, and if it was still available.  The "brownie" was composed of long strands and very juicy. Prolly a true chewing 'baccy of the day and age.

Any clue as to what this might have been and if it's still available? Nothing comes up on any site I've seen so far.

:?: :?:

Cheers,

RR

It was plug tobacco meant for chewing. There were quite a few brands back then. Days O'Work comes immediately to mind. Red Man had one. I think they still exist, but to find any you might have to go to a reservation smoke shop or some equivalent, rather than a grocer's as in days of yore. I thought they were rather tasty, but a p.i.t.a. to cut or rip off a piece with your teeth. Made an extremely rich, dark expectoration--or is that TMI?

(The reason you can't find it on any site is because it's illegal to ship chaw or snuff retail anymore, in this here land of the free. It's to save the fucking chilllllllllldren.)

Red man plug.....

(shudder)

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Some of those "Good Old Days" are best buried. Got some from an uncle, and was never curious again..... :no:

Use to chew Beech-nut back in the day, pretty good stuff but, the girls didn't like it much when you cleared your cheek, if ya know what I mean.
Days O work is the one you probably had BD, it's the only one I remember with a clear wrapper anyway.

Brewdude":c43lu69h said:
Thanks for the intel guys. I happen to have a rez smoke shop near me so will check this out...
Gasp! You actually want some? Let me know if you can't find it. I make an occasional foray onto the Rez near here. If you want a chaw that actually tastes really good, try some butternut flavored. They have some at the Rez, probably Stoker's, if memory serves. Anything to help a brother glide down the slope to total depravity.

Well, visited the rez smoke shop but didn't really see anything like what I was looking for. Then again I didn't look all that well or ask any questions. Will go back and check it out a little more thoroughly, but their selection seemed pretty pedestrian.

Apparently Days Work plug chew is available on line at Northener for like $5.59. Might get in one of that to check out.

Cheers,

RR

Cannonball plug, Brown's Mule and Cup of Joe also come to mind as possible options. Brown's and Cup of Joe are also available at Northerner.com. Hope you find one that rings your bell. I have a plug of Days Work around here somewhere. I used to use them to make wood stain to repair antique firearms.

Jim

Oh, the memories. We'd get one of these if we didn't have enough for a tin of Copenhagen. It was like molasses.  :silent:

MisterE":l504p0rl said:
Oh, the memories. We'd get one of these if we didn't have enough for a tin of Copenhagen. It was like molasses.  :silent:

Sounds right up my alley. But I'll wait until after I've moved to get a plug. Hope it doesn't kick my scrawny lil' arse!

:pale:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":m1czlzy6 said:
MisterE":m1czlzy6 said:

Sounds right up my alley. But I'll wait until after I've moved to get a plug. Hope it doesn't kick my scrawny lil' arse!...
You've heard the saying, "Swallow a little bit, you don't want to eat; swallow a lot, you don't want to live." ? Like many sayings, it's true. :lol:

I remember it as "Days o' Work" but I think the o was just a design on the label. The newer packaging  doesn't have the o.

I don't really remember it being a nic powerhouse either. Copenhagen was much stronger. I guess the ground glass in dip really works for nicotine absorption. So glad I gave all of that up. I'd be toothless now. :lol!:

I’m thinking what you might try are the Gawith pigtails. Sure you can smoke ‘em but they’re really made as a “chew” (between the cheek & gum?).

MrSnuff website has a number to look at and other things like it, meant for smokeless punishment.

https://mrsnuff.com/gawith-hoggarth-sweet-plum-p-3235.html

Why not take a bite out of a Plug...like Warhorse? Or Cob, or Canon....etc. That should do the trick! :roll:

Blackhorse":ne6ntcl9 said:
Why not take a bite out of a Plug...like Warhorse?  Or Cob, or Canon....etc.  That should do the trick!  :roll:
I dont see why not! :cheers:

Chewing plugs are a lot wetter, though. You could end up leaving a few teeth stuck in the plug with some of the tightly packed and steamed smoking plugs. Gold Brick etc. Might be best to slice off chunks on those.

Jack Knife or Triple Play would be a little more user friendly for chaw.

The Gawith ropes are actually pretty tasty and not overly sweet like US chew is. I really didn't get much out of either nicotine wise though....ymmv.

Jim

Frankly I'd forgotten about this thread, as just after I'd posted it I was starting to get ready for my move to AZ. Need to look into the many smoke shops here to see if they have Day 'O Work.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":kpbnxud8 said:
Frankly I'd forgotten about this thread, as just after I'd posted it I was starting to get ready for my move to AZ. Need to look into the many smoke shops here to see if they have Day 'O Work.

Cheers,

RR
I still like a good "chaw" every now and again. I haven't been able to find a good plug tobacco in a while around here though. I usually just grab plain ol' Red Man, but if I could find some Days O Work or Apple plug I'd give them a whirl again. ***Used to be one with a donkey on the cover too. Can't remember the name of it though.***

I believe the one you're thinking of was Brown's Mule which is available from the northerner.com

Jim

huffelpuff":b1z39orc said:
I believe the one you're thinking of was Brown's Mule which is available from the northerner.com

Jim
Oh, wow! Yep that's it. I now have a hankering to try some of the old plugs and maybe that twist they have on their site. I might have to place a small order. Have you ever ordered from northerner, Jim?