Chicago International Pipe & Tobacco Show 2014

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc, yesterday pre-show was very busy. The show is quite crowded today. Sunshine and a slight cool breeze making the tent seem bright and cheery.

Thanks for the update Carlos, have a ball, enjoy the camaraderie. I'll be thinking about the good times you will have there. Glad the weather is obliging.
Andy

I was told that the Chicago Bowl was won by Arango Cigar Co. I only know that blend number 17 was the winner. More details as I get them. It was very hard to smoke bowls of 12 blends in the short time we had.

If correct, my notes on that one was "Izmir. A lot of Izmir." And that shot it down for me. I can remember when a bunch of Izmir blends hit the market and nearly all were too heavy-handed with the Izmir, except that done by GL Pease.

My favorite was number 27. I'll try to find out what that was. It had what I thought was a Turkish in it. It was outstanding. I had a bowl last 1.5 hours.

I picked up 5 tins each of C&D's latest offerings which are all a pressed flake type. All are marked that they should be best in 8-10 years. We shall see.

I was at the show today.. found the Revs table but he was not there... unless I did not recognize him without the beard.. I was gonna freak him out and and sit next to him and hold his hand.. just for a reaction.and then say his pipes are ugly... but there were also to many people around..I see some others hogged a lot of sutliffe stuff. I told the guy I liked Molte Dulce and he gave me 5 cans of new offerings he thought I would like.. wow..and I didnt even hold his hand...

Carlos, were you wearing a blue T shirt and Blue shorts today(Sat) if so I maybe saw you...

Moosecop":6okk3pgi said:
Carlos, were you wearing a blue T shirt and Blue shorts today(Sat) if so I maybe saw you...
Nope. Green shorts and a canary yellow shirt.

That #27 was Sutliff #5. I was surprised.

I had a great time yesterday. If you can, I'm curious to learn what number 56(2) was. I would almost bet money it was Hermit tobacco. Got to meet a lot of brothers and others. Unfortunately, for the second year I left without really buying anything. Maybe next year.

I didn't write them down. But most, or all were established blends. GL Pease was represented by Blackpoint. But I will have to ask for the numbers of what each was.

Seems like you have had a great weekend Carlos, good for you.

Between Sutliff tobacco Co. and all of the other tobacco manufacturers there's no reason for anyone to leave empty handed with all the samples that are given away for free.

Some of what I picked up.  Three new C&D products. (Cellar Series)  A new Mac Baren product, processed similar to Old Dark Fired flake.  Jerry Crawford pipe.

cpcc_210.jpg
" />

Wow Carlos,
Blends mixted for cellaring ten years into the future for best flavor!! That's definitely something new.
I admire your will power with acquiring but one pipe. Thanks for your reports.
Andy

docwatson":z4ngu528 said:
Wow Carlos,
Blends mixted for cellaring ten years into the future for best flavor!! That's definitely something new.
I admire your will power with acquiring but one pipe. Thanks for your reports.
Andy
Well, I did place bids in the Silent Auction. I bid on a Peter Heeschen and just got beat out. A Tonni Nielsen that went for way above what I thought. Which tells me what a steal I got on the one I won a couple years ago.

I had a great time and an had very unexpected 6 pipe haul including a rare shape 30 Epoca from a friends collection that I've coveted for over 12 years. I drove home last night at 11pm and made it to work at 7am I'm over the moon happy but beat.  :shock: 

Glad to hear of your successful show Dave. Another shape 30 pipe you say! I love that seldom seen shape. Can I assume that it came from Chuck's collection??
And 6 pipes os quite a haul for sure. Congrats.
 :cheers: 

docwatson":vsfm3i0q said:
Glad to hear of your successful show Dave. Another shape 30 pipe you say! I love that seldom seen shape. Can I assume that it came from Chuck's collection??
And 6 pipes os quite a haul for sure. Congrats.
No, nothing from "uncle" Chuck this show but he had a good show and was in good spirit. The 30 and another Epoca came from Gaffney's great apple collection and the others, 3 Castello's from friend Rex and a big ODA Shell from Joe Harb.  :shock: 

Tri - #56 was GLP Blackpoint. Hermit 10 Russians was #64 -well rubbed out.

hp
les

Moosecop":qdyudkif said:
I was at the show today.. found the Revs table but he was not there... unless I did not recognize him without the beard.. I was gonna freak him out and and sit next to him and hold his hand.. just for a reaction.and then say his pipes are ugly... but there were also to many people around..I see some others hogged a lot of sutliffe stuff. I told the guy I liked Molte Dulce and he gave me 5 cans of new offerings he thought I would like.. wow..and I didnt even hold his hand...
I like holding hands

Rev

skaukatt":il20l9qz said:
Hey, we missed you, Doc.!
Thanks Lou,
Hope to see you in Richmond which will probably be my next show, and then the fun show in Vegas.
Hope Chicago was great for you.
Nice article and photo of you in the New York paper about pipe smoking and the New York Pipe Club Blends. Congrats. Something positive for a change.