Chicago International Pipe & Tobacco Show 2014

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the rev":egwtgcnv said:
I am making pipes in earnest

Rev
He doesn't find it to be disagreeable.
LAmc32w.jpg

It's getting so close now. I've really been looking forward to this since arriving home from last year's. I'll definitely drop by and see you, Rev. Can't wait to see what you've been working on in person.

Carlos- I was looking around for you last year to no avail. Any way I can talk you into wearing a parrot on your shoulder, tin foil hat... Anything to make you easy to spot? :)

I am already like an elephant in a china shop.  :lol:  Often surrounded by bass players. I do try to be near a fresh air point. The tent sometimes gets a bit stuff, so look to a table near a doorway.

A week from today! Pipe seminar starts on Wednesday. I will arrive on Thursday. Not sure what the weather may be like yet. It's going to be cool early next week, but by the time the show starts it could be nice. Let's hope for great weather!

I'll be there so be sure to stop by the Smokingpipes.com table and say hello!

Last year a few brothers got together and had some drinks in somebody's room...

Rev, how did you like that old Solani?? I'm looking forward to checking out your table!  :cheers:

Only a week to go. I told my wife that next year I'm planning on going for the full time (Thurs-Sun). I still plan on making the most out of Saturday though. BTW, I noticed the itinerary on the site hasn't been updated. Does anyone have a listing of what events are taking place and when throughout the week?

There will be printed events lists posted around the resort, probably starting next Wednesday morning. What I know:

Pipe making seminar Wednesday (4/30) and Thursday (5/1) You will have pre-registered With Brian Ruthenberg to get in.

Thursday 6pm to 10pm in the tent: The Chicago Cigar Show.

Friday starting at 9am in the tent until mid-afternoon or so, should be the: Swap & Smoke This can get crowded and intense. There is vendors, artists, pipe makers selling for several days out of their rooms, in the tent, in the halls, but this Friday event was an instant hit.

Here is the link to an updated show flyer.

http://www.chicagopipeshow.com/show_information/flyers.php

There are seminars, focus groups, over several days. The free Welcome Dinner on Friday has always been superb. For those of you who golf, there is a course right outside the resort and wraps around a portion of it. The views in the spring can be stunning. Check with the Pheasant Run resort pro shop. I think there is a discounted rate on Thursday which may be affiliated with the Cigar Show event.

I have never attended the Saturday evening dinner. For which there is a charge. It's not the money, it's, well, I don't dress up. I would feel like I needed to and this fat man is a lot more comfortable in shorts and a tee shirt. They give you a goodies bag that has plenty of value.

My experiences at the Chicago Show, we say Chicago, but it's really St Charles, IL. I get to the resort and I don't leave it. Anything to keep from having to get out in the traffic up there. There is always plenty of food right at the resort with often more than one choice. You can always get something, even in the tent most of the weekend. The tent does have a bar, so please, if you bring something to drink, leave it in your rooms. The bartenders do try to keep a watch on things. They are good people. For those that must venture out, there is anything you could want to eat within a short trip. The area is a bit touristy and lots of shopping nearby. There is a vintage vinyl record store downtown that I keep meaning to go see.

Speaking of food at the resort, there is several restaurants. Sometimes the restaurants are closed and they do breakfasts in the Atrium. There is also a vendor's breakfast that they let us in and pay a small fee, which I think happens on Sunday morning.

One of the major events for funding the Show is the silent auction. I don't know what I will be spending this year. But I can tell you that it's a great opportunity to pick up some very nice donated items for a reasonable sum. This is done on Saturday, usually ending around 3pm. They will be getting donations almost to the end. So it will be getting busy there after 1pm.

See you there!

Here is the full schedule of events.

Here is the full Show Schedule for 2014:

THE CHICAGOLAND INTERNATIONAL PIPE & TOBACCIANA SHOW
MAY 2014 SCHEDULE OF EVENTS

WEDNESDAY April 30, 2014
9 am Pipe Making Seminar, Mega Center Annex, Pre-registration required

THURSDAY MAY 1, 2014
9 am Pipe Making Seminar, Mega Center Annex, Pre-registration required
4 pm International Charatan Collectors Society, Turquoise Room (Tower)
6 pm – 10 pm The Chicago Cigar Show in the Tent

FRIDAY MAY 2, 2014
9 am – 4 pm, Smoke and Swap, Tent (8 am vendor set up)
9 am The Chicago Bowl opens, Tent
9:30 am – 4:30 pm Champagne Limo to Premium Outlet Mall, Hotel Lobby
12 pm – 5 pm Welcome Table, Hotel across from indoor/outdoor pool
2pm-5pm Blue Ribband Focus Group, Mega Center
3 pm UPCA Annual Meeting, Ruby Room (Tower)
5 pm John Seiler, Emperor Leopaldo's World : A Place and Time where Pipe Smoking is Encouraged - A discourse by the author, Sapphire Room (Tower)
7 pm – 10 pm Welcome Buffet Dinner, St. Charles Ballroom
7:30 pm presentations at Welcome Dinner
9 pm Rick Newcombe, Pipes in the Movies, Mega Center
9 pm Ladies’ Tobacco Related Arts & Craft Program, Turquoise Room (Tower)
9 pm Pipe Repairmen Roundtable, Sapphire Room (Tower)
10 pm Kevin Godbee, PipesMagazine.com Panel, Tent

SATURDAY MAY 3, 2014
7 am Exhibitor Set up, Mega Center
10 am – 5pm Chicago Pipe Show, Mega Center
10 am Chicago Bowl opens, Mega Center
11 am – 3+ pm Silent Auction, Mega Center
12 pm Private Ladies’ Luncheon for Exhibitors, St Charles Ballroom Salons 5 & 6
2 pm PipesMagazine.com Meet Up table, Tent
3:30 pm Winner Announced for 2 free nights at Pheasant Run, Mega Center
4 pm The Chicago Bowl closes, Tent and Mega Center
4 pm Smokers Forum Meet Up table, Tent
6:30 pm Cocktails, Pipe & Cigar Banquet at 7 pm, New Orleans Ballroom
9 pm Doctor of Pipes Meeting, Arnold Palmer Suite (Tower)

SUNDAY MAY 4, 2014
6:30 – 9:30 am Pipe Show Breakfast, St Charles Ballroom, Salons I, III, IV
8 am Study of Tobacco in the Bible (Tent)
8 am Exhibitor Set up, Mega Center
9 am – 5pm Chicago Pipe Show, Mega Center
12 pm Show Awards Presentation, Mega Center
1 pm UPCA United States of America National Pipe Smoking Championship, Tent

MONDAY MAY 5, 2014
8 am – 12 pm Post Show, Terrace Café Area

More on the item listed called the "Chicago Bowl". I asked one of the club members about it.

It's our own tobacco throw down! It has been completely rethought and is going to be an incredible contest now. There will be 5 different tobacco companies/ blenders that will replicate an old English tobacco. There will be samples handed out starting either Thursday or Friday for the whole weekend. I'm sure the samples will run out. But we have designed a trophy "Cup" that will be a traveling trophy in sorts. Like the one for the Indy 500 or the Stanley cup. The winner will get a small one but we will have a large cup that will have each years winners name plaque mounted on it. It should be a great contest this year. We're all excited about it.

s.ireland":l1f370ok said:

Rev, how did you like that old Solani?? I'm looking forward to checking out your table!  :cheers:
dude, that was so tasty. So sorry about that. I felt so bad... until I smoked it :)

I sincerely hope I don't embarrass myself, I will be at the table next to Grant Batson and Steve Liskey, so I will have friends near by, but man, what an intimidating pair they are :)

rev

s.ireland":u7pkc9wa said:

shane2dope and sammy b fresh shall reunite at long last!

Getting all my ducks in a row for an early Saturday road trip. Can't wait.

I swear. You would never have recognized The Rev. He shaved his beard off!

Met up with a lot of old friends. Fondled pipes. Discussed just about everything. Solved all the worlds problems. And it's only Thursday.

:sunny: 

Carlos":2xuvjwao said:
I swear.  You would never have recognized The Rev.  He shaved his beard off!! 
This is a clear violation of the rules. How am I to identify and harass my brethren if they go changing their appearance? Admittedly, he has a table that should be reasonably identifiable, but still. I call shenanigans. Can't wait to see you, brothers. Leaving bright and early in the morning to get there by "doors open".

Take and post lots of pics w/captions so we can live vicariously through all those of you who are fortunate to attend this grand sounding event!

:tongue: 

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":yp3mrxla said:
Take and post lots of pics w/captions so we can live vicariously through all those of you who are fortunate to attend this grand sounding event!

:tongue: 

Cheers,

RR
I agree.  There should be a write-up with photos for those who cant make it.  I am planning for next year.  I told my wife that I want to go then.

I haven't been taking any pics. To be fair, the cloudy weather made it dingy in the tent. But the crowd today was outstanding all day. The pre-show was really busy. Well, just a couple pics. one little purchase. A Jerry Crawford pipe.

crawfo10.jpg
[/url][/img]

crawfo11.jpg
[/url][/img]

Great pipe Carlos. Jerry Crawford make some super pipes, mostly on the smaller size and very well executed designs and sandblasts like the one you bought. Good for you, enjoy.
Thanks for the updates on the show, first time I'm not there in years.
Andy