Churchwarden

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarMyFriend

Reaction score
I have a question... I want to know your experiences with Churchwardens. I have smoked outta a clay straight churchwarden that belongs to ThistleOak. I want to know what a briar churchwarden is like. I understand the smoke is cooler, but whatelse is nice about it? Are there benefits/cons you can list for me? I have a little bit of cash, I believe I might post something in the trading post looking for an unwanted churchwarden so I can experience it. I'm really interested. Someone let me know if they got one unwanted for a lower price.
Zach

They are longer, cooler, and make you feel like Aragorn. I have one. When I smoked it I couldn't see what was going on in the bowl without a telescope, couldn't light it without a lightening strike, and felt it subdued the taste of the leaf more than I wanted.

Highly recommended!

Lord of the Rings for the win. (My older sister just named her two kittens Pippen and Marry).
So the taste is subdued? Not exactly what I'm looking for...

GuitarMyFriend":tl1wl0t5 said:
Lord of the Rings for the win. (My older sister just named her two kittens Pippen and Marry).
So the taste is subdued? Not exactly what I'm looking for...
Maybe not, but it maybe just the thing you're looking for in certain blends.

The last time I took my churchwarden out I discovered a crack in the shank that wasn't there when I bought it. I need to repair it. I'm sure there is an easy fix for it. I'll need to find it somewhere around here.

Not to derail your topic... :silent:

I've not felt that they subdued the taste, just that it was cooler when it got to my mouth. They light just as easy as a normal briar, you just have to overcome the subconcious telling you that it takes more lighting because the smoke takes a second longer than normal to get to you. Mattia has on at vikingclubpipes.com and you get a discount for being a BoB member if you like the one he has over there. You might look into the Brebbia Twin or the Stanwell HCA pipes which have a churchwarden or normal stem so they are dual purpose in the evnt you don't dig the churchwarden. I have both straight and bent wardens and they all smoke great. I try each new tobacco out of a briar, cob, meer, and churchwarden to give each a fair chance to perform. They aren't everyones cup of tea but they are darn sure enjoyable to me, I brought 2 along with me here.

I really like my Churchwarden. The smoke seems cooler to me than a regular pipe because of the length. I don't notice any difference in taste. It is a relaxing pipe to smoke. I like how they draw. Very smooth.
They look cool too.

I find I can really relax with my churchwarden. Not being a clencher, I'm always using my arm to hold, move a pipe normally. But, with the church warden, my hand just rests on my belly holding the bowl and I can sip away at the tobacco. Absolutely zero effort required on my part to thoroughly enjoy a smoke.

Also, you are pretty much forced to sit down, relax, stop doing things, and concentrate fully on your smoke, unlike with other pipes where you can still potter about and the smoke becomes secondary to whatever else it is you're doing.

I'm not a fan of them for a few reasons.

* I've smoked my partner's 'wardens, and they get wet quickly, probably due to the longer stem giving the smoke more of a chance to hit cooler air and condense inside the stem. Add to that an aromatic or a wet tobacco, and it's soup city.

* It seems every "kid" that wants to start smoking a pipe has to get one as a rite-of-passage, to pretend like they're a smartass wizard or being simply cheeky. The pride they have with them! Making up for inadequacy? :p :lol: If they see someone else with a churchwarden, it's like one has an instant friend to talk about college, parents, how they miss their cartoon mornings...etc. :lol: (...that's just my snarky old man soul talking there...)

* I'm usually at the computer at home when smoking, and the longer stem isn't helpful.

* The bowls are usually small--great for short smokes/beginners, troubling for someone who wants to really challenge Hal O The Wynd or Jackknife Plug. :twisted:

Not that this is to steer anyone away from 'wardens, I think it comes down to the fact I never learned how to smoke them to their design, and they don't fit my style of smoking or person. *shrug*

8)

I have both a (1) briar churchwarden and a three set of clay colonial pipes. I haven't noticed any difference in smoking the briar churchwarden from a standard stem length. However, the clay are interesting. Since clay is very porous it will build flavor character quickly. This is not good if you can't dedicate the pipe to one tobacco, but is great if you can. Once you have spent 10 or so bowls of a nice aro in a clay, you will get great very robust flavor! I am referring to these kinds of pipes: Penn Clay Pipes

This one is sold. However, I can design and make you one real close to this one. Or, if you have a particular pipe you've had your eye on,send me a photo and I'll see what I can do. I design a few wardens a week for people, they seem to be quite popular. I do one pipe at a time freehand.
There's some of my work,,,,,but not all of it yet @

www.DPedittopipes.webs.com ALL of the pipes on there are sold, there may be a certain design on there you like. All the best to you Brother, Darren

I can also be contacted at 609-437-3919 feel free.

I love smoking clay pipes. Mostly for the same reasons that have already been talked. Mine smoke very cool and are the perfect pipes for me while reading a book. I actually like smoking aro tobacs in mine because they don't seem to bite as much. Yeah, they can be a little kitsch-y, but they're also lots of fun. The only thing I don't like about them is something Kyle already mentioned. All mine have exceptionally small bowls, about 1/2 hour smokes for me... But, heck, give them a try! Enjoy!

Sloppy Joe Hemingway":sku9oizw said:
The only thing I don't like about them is something Kyle already mentioned. All mine have exceptionally small bowls, about 1/2 hour smokes for me... But, heck, give them a try! Enjoy!
As you might suspect, small bowls in churchwardens isn't universal. I have a Mauro Armellini that is one of my favorite pipes that has a bowl that's 7/8" by 1 1/2". I tend toward pipes with long stems just because I like the way they look and for my 1860's appropriate pipes, long stems were very common. I just picked up an antique clay bowl to mate with the 16" NOS curved reed stem I've had for a few months and a meer churchwarden is on its way from Turkey.

And I really like that pipe that Darren pictured. I took a quick look at his web site and didn't see one I liked better.

I currently own 2 Churchwardens - I mainly smoke aromatics and some of the best smokes I get are from the wardens. Cool (temperature not the Aragorn sense), flavoursome and relaxing - is how I would sum up my experience of these pipes.

To be fair I have a Peterson and a Brebbia - the Peterson is fairly faultless although the Brebbia is prone to the occasional gurgle and therefore gets smoked less. It's probably got a lot to do with the way I smoke.

Fraternally

Jers

Lesepfeife":3fjbdopz said:
I [have] a meer churchwarden is on its way from Turkey.
I got it today and it reminded me that I was also going to say that churchwarden doesn't necessarily mean no clenching. I must have pretty strong jaws because I am able to clench all my longer pipes but that may have something to do with the fact that I don't have any straight ones so they hang better. The new one I got is very light and I suspect that many other clenchers might be able to do so with this one. It does suffer from the small bowl syndrome but that's OK. I don't need a larger bowl all the time.

I've been curious about 'wardens for some time.

I have to ask ... how do ya clean 'em ?

:?:

Steveaux":wz3mad84 said:
I've been curious about 'wardens for some time.

I have to ask ... how do ya clean 'em ?

:?:
Churchwarden pipe cleaners.

Well, ermmm .... durr.

I looked them up. Never encountered a foot-long pipe cleaner.

Where's the "embarrassed" smiley?

There are also a few vendors that sell pipe cleaners in like 50' coils. Just cut it to whatever length you like. Very handy...but rare. Cup O'Joe's has 'em for eight bucks...bristle too.

Cleaning: There are church warden size pipe cleaners at your local shop.
Clinching: Sure you can, until you fail to pay attention and the thing acts like a spring board with ash and cherry flying all over!
I own 3. One is a Peterson. As a previous post stated, the great thing is relaxing with your arm proped, holding the pipe, and puffing.
While they are not my 'favorite', they are great smokers and yes, my wife does say I'm trying to look like a Hobit.