Churchwardens? Pros? Cons? Preferences?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfactor87

Reaction score
Hey there everyone. I've always loved the look of a churchwarden pipe. Maybe it's the outta-this-world appearance of them; maybe it's the essence of someone smoking one in the middle of the woods at night. That does sound quite peaceful. Anyway, as you know, I'm new here, and am wondering what the pros and cons of a churchwarden are from the more advanced smokers here based on personal experiences? Also, I was wondering if anyone here prefers them or just has one and either enjoys it or not?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks guys,

Matt

I had one - a Bjarne - that smoked pretty well, but I never really clicked with. Piet cleaned it up & sent it to the Oubaas who loves it. Some guys really like them, some don't. I can live without one.

I wholeheartedly endorse the Stanwell Hans Christian Andersen line of pipes. They all come with a churchwarden and a standard length stem. Hard to go wrong with a Stanwell in general.

As to smoking the churchwarden, I actually really like it. It does seem like a cooler smoke. Now whether that's all in my head or not I don't know. Experience is still the same either way.

They can be had for 120-140 bucks new and you can find some good deals around. Seen unsmoked estates go for 90...

http://www.cupojoes.com/cgi-bin/dept?dpt=H&srch=KW&search_text=Stanwell+Hans

Churchwardens are fan-dang-tastic :)

Don't forget the long pipe cleaners...

I bought an inexpensive one at my local B&M just to try out...it does seem to smoke cooler and i enjoy the way it smokes.

I bought one for the mrs. And I have to say I do sneak it from time to time if I'm in the cao flavour mood. It quite nice and cools the smoke. Not sure if its the meerschaum or churchwarden shape but the flavor is very clean.

i liked the one i had until it suffered a cracked shank and in my ignorance, discarded it.

i one day need to find a suitable replacement.

yes to a cooler smoke and in my personal opinion allows a different taste of the tobac at times.

camo

They really are great looking pipes, aren't they? I am looking for one myself.

Don't know if it's true or not but I heard somewhere that Churchwarden came about because the cathedral guards were not aloud to smoke in the church so they came up with the extended stem so they could have the pipe actually outside while standing at the window.
I had a Meer churchwarden a long time back. (like 1973) It didn't smoke so good and I think it is the only pipe I've ever discarded. But now when I think of Striker, Gandalf, Gimli and the others I wish I had one.
When I first read the triology back in the 60's I never dreamt they could make a movie series out of them. But danged if they didn't thanks to modern technology and they did the books justice!
J.R.R would approve I'm sure! :cheers:

Here's to old Toby!

Yea bro, they are cool, Had 2 Pete's but they did not go with what I am collecting. So I sold them.
Smoke really cool and dry.
Cons are the dainty stems and the fact that you cannot really clench them. Good smokers, I agree wit Jason here!

I think you should PM Beebiz, he is a CW nut nand has a couple of them, he will give you a good run down of the pros and cons....... then again with him there will be no cons!!!!!

ditto for the Stanwell Hans Christian Andersen. two pipes in one. i love stanwell pipes.

I had one, it did smoke cooler, but for me that's like drinking cold coffee. I like my smoke a bit warmer.

I've got five at present, four that are quire regular in my rotation. A Stanwell Hans Christian Anderson, a great bean pot Sasquatch made me, a Brigham that Sas also sold me, a no-name meer that just happens to fit the Stanwell stem perfectly (which is a good thing as I snapped the original cheap stem off the first time I tried to remove it!) and a nice Dutch clay. Love them all, but it's that meer that I smoke the most. I think because I'm trying hard to color it.

Natch

I find them very elegant, but in my clumsy hands I'm sure it would break upon first use :lol:

I have quite a few. A couple of Meershaums, two briar Mike Brissetts and several others from different carvers. I enjoy relaxing on the easy chair while reading a book smoking one of my Churchwardens. One thing I have learned is that you need to be careful while smoking. Smoke it just like any other pipe, just because it has a long stem doesn't mean you have to suck harder. If you do you end up with a hot tongue and a hot bowl. :lol: I have always wanted to get one of the Stanwell's.

Piet: Don't let the Avatar fool you - that was a long long time ago in a Galaxy far far away.................