Cigar Leaf Blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
So, a general question -

How cigar-y are cigar leaf blends? I've never tried one (to my knowledge), but it sounds like it could be something I'd like (I do enjoy a nice cigar, particularly in warmer weather). Or is the use of cigar leaf more common than I realize? I don't think any of the blends I've had incorporate it, but maybe I'm wrong.

There's been a lot said about Storm Front around here over the past few months, and I'd considered giving it a shot, but cigar leaf would be venturing into uncharted (pipe) territory for me. I dunno...just fishing for some general info, I suppose.

Thanks fellas!

Two cigar blends I rotate through frequently, Connecticut Yankee and Storm Front both are cigar-blend pipe baccas, and neither have this overpowering "cigar-type" note to them. At least not to me. They're both keenly balanced so the cigar leaf adds a thickness to the mixture rather than a specific flavor.

GL Pease's "Key Largo" is one I'm interested in trying more of. I had a pipeful once a while back and while bolder than the above two, was buttery and pleasant, with plenty of kick, and almost a familiar cigar-like pepperiness on the tongue--very pleasant.

I'm not a cigar guy at all, but cigar tobacco pipe blends shouldn't try and mimic a cigar at all, to me anyway. 8)

I think most of the time it is a condiment type of ingredient, like perique or latakia. I think one of the best out there in my book is GL Pease Key Largo. Outstanding in my opinion.

Yeah, I'd heard Key Largo mentioned as well, but I'm not really a huge fan of latakia and oriental blends (I'm starting to come to terms with Latakia, but its really, really, really hit and miss - it has to be used lightly (say, like GLP Fillmore) but not "weakly" (as in EMP, to my taste), if that makes any sense to anyone but me.

EDIT: More to the point, am I in the right ballpark to say that cigar leaf blends add more the qualities of cigar than the actual taste of a cigar (again, if that makes any sense at all)?

If you want a good Va based Cigar leaf blend I would give McClellands Dominican Glory a try. I tried it several years ago back when I was smoking cigars regularly and it did hit that "cigar note" for me at that time. As usual, it's based on Mc's great Virginias and they even have a Maduro version of it now that they did not have when I last smoked it. And as I recall, it does not smell nor taste "ketchup" at all :p

My intension in adding cigar leaf to Storm Front was to add body and texture to the blend. While you may taste the cigar leaf briefly a few times, it adds more roundness to the flavor rather than being In Your Face.

I've smoked Dominican Glory Maduro, Storm Front, and Billy Budd. I'm primarily a pipe smoker, however, I also occasionally smoke a robust Partagas Black Label Maduro cigar which I like very much. I also have cut an inch of cigar, placed it in a coffee grinder for a one second grind and now have a small jar of cigar flake that I add to Engine99 tobacco on a bowl by bowl basis as a condiment. My thoughts:

I prefer Billy Budd to Stormfront. Billy Budd seems to have more maduro leaf in the blend that I prefer. I do like latakia and I'm not overly fond of burly tobacco. Stormfront does not appear to contain choice maduro cigar leaf. I did not like the Dominican Glory Maduro at all and traded it for Penzance.

By adding my choice cigar leaf to my choice of pipe tobacco in the amount that I like enables me to control the flavor nuances. If you like a fine cigar, you know what a good leaf should taste like. My advice would be to enjoy your pipe and occasionally experiment by smoking a cigar. If you don't find a cigar you like there is no point in trying to smoke cigar leaf in a pipe.

I also had similar interest and purchased the Cigar leaf sampler from P&C and Storm Front. I am also a cigar smoker. They aren't the same, in fact the cigar leaf sampler from P&C come with a bag of shredded cigar, and that in a pipe is still different than a cigar. I don't know anything about blending, but what John said makes sense, the cigar leaf adds the "bold" quality which is nice. I love to sample and encourage you to do the same if you have the resources. Get a few of the recommended blends and experience for yourself.

I doubt it is possible to get the same fermented tobacco quality from a pipe that you get from a well aged maduro cigar, but a good cigar blend gives nuances of smoking a cigar. I think much of this comes from the cigar leaf aroma; much of our sense of taste is really supplied by our sense of smell. If you think of the cigar leaf as a condiment tobacco such as perique or latakia, you will get the idea. The nice advantage of smoking a cigar blend over an actual cigar is that it usually doesn't generate the over-whelming 3 day room note which smoking a cigar does.

I have read that cigar leaf blends were more common many years ago. They seem to be enjoying a renaissance nowadays, and for that I am grateful since I like them very much. Billy Bud, Cuban Mix, and Storm Front are very nice. My all-time favorite is the now defunct Mr. Alfred's Own. I should have cellared a dozen tins of Mr Alfred's before they discontinued it.

EMP has way more Latakia than Fillmore, so I guess I'm unsure exactly what you are looking for in that respect.

I've tried a good share of cigar-leaf blends lately and I, as you, am not a huge latakia fan..that said, Key Largo is, at present, my favorite tobacco overall and Storm Front is not only my second favorite but one I can and have smoked exclusively for a day.

Not sure what it's worth to ya' but there's MY .02 cents! :cheers:

Just grind up a Swisher Sweet and add it to your favorite blend, there you go - that Fine Cigar Leaf something special! :shock:

Give it about a month to age and let the flavors to mingle though... :mrgreen:

That's a lot of good info, guys...thanks.

I do enjoy a fine cigar (though to keep many on hand is generally cost prohibitive, in my case), so I'd imagine some cigar notes would be appreciated. I was just leery that a cigar leaf blend would be so predominantly cigar-like that it would obscure the VA or Burley tobaccos that I love so much...it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Mike, as you're not a huge latakia fan, but still enjoy Key Largo (and as Key Largo seems to be highly recommended in a number of threads around the board), it sounds like that I might actually be interested in (Marty, from reading a number of your posts, I know you're a lat/lat-bomb kinda guy...I can't say that our tastes are similar in that regard, though I wouldn't hesitate to join you in a Partagas Black Label).

It sounds to me like what concerned me most is really not a matter of concern, at all. If it's a matter of complementing, not overblowing, the other leaf used in the blend, I think I'm going to have to shell out a few bucks to try a few of these blends.

Thanks!

The only blend I've tried was C&D Habana Daydream. Not a bad mixture, I didn't notice any cigar notes at all. It did have a nice sweetness to it and smoked cool. Easy to light and keep lit. The tin kept in my car for months over the winter.

McClelland Dominican Glory Maduro suited me just fine, although its no substitute for a good cigar. I've found pipes and cigars are just two radically different experiences.

GL Pease Robusto is what I like for a cigar note. Same goes for C&D Billy Budd.

My spin: Billy Budd, Maltese Falcon, Habana Daydream, and others like them have WAY too much Latakia for me. The McClelland Dominican Glory and the Maduro are so-so. Storm Front is excellent in the extreme. Others that I like are Virginia Spice & Stogie...both Oulette blends via P&C. Others with no Latakia are Peretti's No. 500 which is supposed to be good. The Robert McConnell blends called Caribe and Brasil (I don't think you can get the Havana ones here) look interesting, but I've never tried them. Then there's the Virginia Memory No. 10 which is a newer Ouletter blend that I also haven't tried - but it's also supposed to be excellent. A real disappointment is the other blends containing cigar leaf developed by John Patton...Crossroads, Oriental Dusk and Harvest Home...as they are not available. Would have loved to try those! And lastly, Steve Books, formerly of Rich's in Portland, now in his new location called House of Calabash arguably makes the most extreme cigar blends out there. They often used extremely aged leaf of all types, including cigar leaf or maybe not...but are often among the most expensive blends I've ever seen...and worth every penny, being totally unique in many cases and superb beyond any other blends anywhere. Rich's may still offer many of Steve's blends he developed while in their employ...but if you want the best of the best of the best...contact him and chat. Though not a household name, there in no more highly trained, knowledgable or experienced blender anywhere...IMHO. An example: when he was 17 he apprentices with Lord Comoy in London and was driven back and forth to work in a Rolls Royce. He has memorizing over 3,000 blends that are his very own signature blends...quite a feat. And to think that his little storefront is right here in Oregon City...my home town. Pretty nice...if I could afford him! lol

http://houseofcalabash.com/tobaccos

Billy Budd is my favorite cigar blend. Sailorman Jack got it right, as far as I am concerned.

Blackhorse":8r7cbrky said:
My spin: Billy Budd, Maltese Falcon, Habana Daydream, and others like them have WAY too much Latakia for me. The McClelland Dominican Glory and the Maduro are so-so. Storm Front is excellent in the extreme. Others that I like are Virginia Spice & Stogie...both Oulette blends via P&C.
I agree with VA Spice. That's one fantastic cigar leaf blend. I also agree that Dominican Glory is a bit of a snoozer. Storm Front is, of course, outstanding.

Billy Budd is a bit much in the lat department IMO as well, though Habana Daydream's latakia component seemed far more subdued to me though.

Does Maltese Falcon have cigar leaf in it? I wasn't aware of that. It's on my to-do list...Stogie as well.