Cleaning discoloration on briar pipes?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Radice Rind finished pipe I bought as an estate about a year ago, and I really do like it. The problem is that the briar has turned a darker color through handling during its life. Is there any simple way to try to refresh or clean the pipe up? I would appreciate any advice or recommendations from the group.

I have a Radice Rind finished pipe I bought as an estate about a year ago, and I really do like it. The problem is that the briar has turned a darker color through handling during its life. Is there any simple way to try to refresh or clean the pipe up? I would appreciate any advice or recommendations from the group.
Try some Magic Eraser with clear alcohol like vodka. Rub gently and see if that works.

I've gotten decent cleaning of especially the rim with Murphy's oil soap. I think it might remove a little stain if too strong. I just tried Kirks castille soap on one, and it worked fine. This was also a dark stained pipe, but the soap with some firm rubbing brought out more grain. The castille was chosen thinking it was gentler. I believe this is made with olive oil.

I'm a convert. I've posted this many times now. Dish soap, toothbrush, and warm running water, and while you're at it, you might as well get a nylon tube brush and clean the airway and mortise. Like starting totally fresh. You'll have to re-wax it no matter what you do. Or don't re-wax it. It'll pick up oils from your fingers anyway. Briar is tough stuff. Water won't damage it. To re-tell a story from another board: a smoker experimented with how much water briar absorbs. Ran a pipe through the dishwasher and then cut the pipe in half on a band saw. After two hours in a hot dishwasher cycle, water had only penetrated 1-2mm. It'll only take around 10 minutes with a toothbrush and warm running water, so water won't penetrate even that much. If you don't trust this process, try it on a lesser pipe and see for yourself. I trust you'll be converted too.

Spit. It contains salivary amylase, an enzyme (or some such) that is effective at removing tar, etc. And of course…with the soft bristle toothbrush.

And sometimes setting it on a steel spike and hitting it with a judicious bit of flame to soften the residue…

IMG_7398.gif