Cleaning Kits

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tperoda85

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with the Denicare, or Dunhill White Spot cleaning kits for pipes? I'm considering grabbing one, is it worth it to shine up the briar? It's almost worth a tin of tobacco! Haha

I think it all comes down to what one likes. As long as you keep the interior of your pipe fairly clean you'll not have any issues with it as far as smoke-ability goes from that stand point. How clean and shiny the outsides are is just ones preference. Of course I wouldn't want a nasty green oxidized Vulcanite stem in my mouth either. ;)

I just use olive oil. Just buff it on there and it cleans sterling silver quite nicely too. Helps keep vulcanite from oxidizing too.

I like elbow grease and mineral oil for vulcanite. A chunk of flannel impregnated with wax does well for smooth briar. For blast finishes, I use a horsehair shoe brush. Yeah, even on Dunhills ...

Bar Keepers Companion is all I use on oxidation.After the stem is black and shiny I use chap stick after every smoke!

Cleaning kits? NOT!

Deal with oxidized vulcanite stems with magic eraser, followed by mineral oil. Some report soaking in Oxyclean followed by buffing with a scotchbrite pad or 000 steel wool is the ticket.

Acrylic should require no maintenance. Clench/chatter marks, well that's up to you to figure out. Either don't or use the softie bits.

Shining up the strummel on smooth finishes, well I don't bother generally. Maybe did it once or twice. I prefer a matte finish anyway.

Reaming the cake is most important to me. Apart from scraping the bowl with a tool (pipe nail, etc) after each smoke, when it gets to be more than a thickness of a dime I use my Castelford reamer. Similar results can be achieved with other means.

Use a pipe cleaner regularly. Perhaps after every smoke (or during). That will prevent build up of tars. Occasionally use Everclear, Isopropyl 90% or any other high proof alcohol on the pipe cleaner and you should be golden.

This is what I do and has seen me in good stead for many years.

Cheers,

RR

pipe cleaners
pipe scrubby cleaners
91% rubbing alcohol *or* Everclear
cotton balls
Savinelli pipe knife
100% cotton socks
Halcyon II Wax  http://www.finepipes.com/accessories/halcyon-ii-wax
natural bristle brush (soft) to remove the wax and buff

no thanks on a kit.  I prefer to compile my own tool boxes.  Nobody knows what I need like I do.