Close call indeed (The sky is falling)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
I was going through my Tobacco cellar today taking inventory when I came upon my 2 oldest tins, GL Pease Haddo's Delight dated February 2005. On closer inspection I noticed 2 tiny spots on the bottom of one tin, sure enough rust! I decided to open the tin, I was saving these tins but I didn't want to take a chance on losing one. I can't even begin to describe the tin aroma but I will say that I was overwhelmed with the smell of fine red wine and rich dark chocolate, the moisture content was near perfect. After I came to I quickly placed the weed into a small Ball Jar then I checked out the tin and there were 2 small holes that went through the bottom, not large enough to allow a straight pin to go completely through. I'm great- full that I got to this tin in time and the tobacco was in fine shape. The tin in question was the older style Pease tin, approximately 2 1/2 x 3 inches. I would recommend that if any of my brothers have this type of tin in there cellars they should be checked periodically.

You are not alone:

http://www.smokersforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=78692

In case you do not want to dig through the thread, C. Tarler responded:

Unfortunately, the tins from this time were not lined, food grade. This has been rectified for the last four or five years and we now use aluminum, lined, food grade tins.

I suggest you remove the tobacco to Mason jars and seal it tightly. There should be little or no degrading of the blend.

We apologize for any inconvenience and hope you continue to enjoy our products.

Craig

Thanks Kap,

Looks like a few others have been down this road. The tins I have are stored in a very comfortable environment without excessive humidity, so the problem must lie in the tin.
This has been a very positive experience for me, I would have not opened this fine aged tobacco had it not been for the tin issue and I would be missing out on a wonderful blend. Life's to short.

Look at it as a silver lining MB, you get to smoke some really fantastic tobacco and then go buy more of it :D

After reading your post Danny I looked through my tins and found a rusted tin of GLP Tribute. I opened the tin to find that it was totally dry and the bottom of the tin was caked with rust :( So sad!.....

Midnight Blues":neg2k53h said:
Looks like a few others have been down this road. The tins I have are stored in a very comfortable environment without excessive humidity, so the problem must lie in the tin ....
Yep, you are quite right. I have had this happen with perhaps a half dozen or so GLP tins from before 2005. The worst one was a few months ago with an 8oz. tin of Cairo with a 2005 date code. I noticed an orange stain soaking through the label and then two spots on the bottom of the tin. Upon opening and dumping out the contents, I found that the rust on the inside was just terrible, but the tobacco was fine. The small rust spots on the bottom poked right through when I lightly probed them with a toothpick! Into jars it went.

This is not a problem with exterior storage conditions, rather it is one from the inside out. Fortunately, the problem was fixed about 4-5 years ago with the new lined tins, but this does draw into question the long-term cellaring potential of the older ones. With the prices folks are paying for older GLP / F&P tins on eBay nowadays, there may be some serious tears shed down the line!

The problem seems to be worse with those blends topped with alcohol: Haddo's or Barbary Coast.

Sooo glad they switched tins.

Buddy

I went through my GL Pease stash and here is what I found

2 tins Renaissance
1 tin Haddos Delight
1 tin Caravan
1 tin Samarra

All 5 tins had a small pin holes on the outside and rust/dry tobacco on the inside (sigh!) :cry:
The good news is that I now have 5 plastic lids that I can put on some tins that I didn't have lids for!
I will be checking the remaining stock frequently.

Today is "Inspection day" for the stash!!! I'll report any findings. Thanx for the "heads up!" FTRPLT

"Upon further review," the majority of my tin inventory is A-OK! I did find two 7 oz./200 gm. tins of Balkan Sasieni (stored in the back of the cellar, totally forgotten!!!) that did not pass the "smell" test! They are now under glass! I do have an old (not sure how old, but old) C&D Yaller Dawg (Syrian latakia) with some outside rust, but no discerable tobacco "smell" to it. I also "discovered" two tins of DH London Mixture (Orlik) and tins of DH EMP and Durbar (Murray) that had quietly been forgotten! :cheers: FTRPLT

Guys, this is a problem that has been known to exist for years. Actually, I first found rust in my GLP and Captain Earle blends as far back as 2005. Others have reported this problem years ago. I am going to take a huge loss with Renaissance, Haddos, and Ten Russians. That's why I don't put anything made by C&D in my cellar. :cry:

Danish_Pipe_Guy":oh8nmx22 said:
After reading your post Danny I looked through my tins and found a rusted tin of GLP Tribute. I opened the tin to find that it was totally dry and the bottom of the tin was caked with rust :( So sad!.....
Garrr just checked my few. 1 of my Tribute's had rusted through on the bottom also but another was fine. Popped the tops on a couple other old Pease blends that were ok also. Into mason jars they went and vacuumed sealed the tops. Should be good for the long haul now. Only 1 bad out of 4 tins that were all 9-10 years old.

well looked over my small collection of tins no rust on the outside of any yet. In a similar vein I have three "tins" made of the cardboard coated with metallic stuff (an older bourbon street, a Sutliff no 5 and a Spilman Mixture), should i transfer them to mason jars or leave them be?

Seems the problem is contained to GLP tins. I looked through nearly 100 Hermit Tobacco Works tins from the early 2000's yesterday and found no sign of rust at all. I will keep an eye on them though.

I've made a painful decision to sell off all of my GLP tins made before 2005.

I wouldn't be too sure about the Hermit tins. I had an older tin of Ten Russians that had rusted through just like the GLP tin. Keep a close eye on them.

I wish they still used the vacuum sealed foil bags. They seem to age the best IMHO. At least Cumberland seemed to age best in them.

Danish_Pipe_Guy":z9bu11bw said:
Now I am going to have to go check my GLP Tribute that I had put back for posterity.

Justpipes":5jpd7pat said:
Danish_Pipe_Guy":5jpd7pat said:
Now I am going to have to go check my GLP Tribute that I had put back for posterity.
Mark, I called and spoke with a major player in the estate tobacco biz for quite a while yesterday. He confirmed to me that he's had problems with tins of Tribute especially. Check yours. If you see any orange spots on the tin or hear the tobacco rattling around transfer the contents to a mason jar pronto!

Danish_Pipe_Guy":nanvzgns said:
Mark, I called and spoke with a major player in the estate tobacco biz for quite a while yesterday. He confirmed to me that he's had problems with tins of Tribute especially. Check yours. If you see any orange spots on the tin or hear the tobacco rattling around transfer the contents to a mason jar pronto!
On a side note, I was able to rehydrate the bone dry baccy in my rusted out tin of Tribute. I figured it wouldn't be very good but decided to rehydrate it anyway. After about 24 hours of being in a bowl covered by a damp towel, it was at a good level of hydration so I packed a pipe to test it out. Boy was I glad I decided to revive this stuff! It still was packed with flavor and smoked awesomely. I've never had Tribute before and this stuff probably lost some subtleties from being dried out for who knows how long, but it was a delicious, unique smoke nonetheless. :tongue: