college speech on proper care of pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiperCub

Reaction score
yup, just like it says, i'm going to do a speech on the proper care of pipes, and cover a bit of history. so i'm gonna cover the basics, how to clean and store it, just wondering if you guys had any other ideas as far as what i could cover. the time limit is 5 to 7 minutes long, and i may record this..just because..

First rule of public speaking: Know your audience.

I hate to say it, but a speech about the proper care of pipes might be totally misplaced for the demographic you're speaking to. Do they have pipes they need to maintain? Why not instead explain something about what sets pipe smokers apart from others that use tobacco products. I'd wager a lot of those kids have never even seen someone smoke a pipe, well at least a tobacco pipe.

I'm old enough to remember when smoking a pipe was part of being a "college man", and professors still smoked their pipes in the classroom :shock: ! Sounds cool; good luck with it!

Why not adapt the presentation of the enjoyment and benefit of the pipe, rather than a direct how-to to the wares? Not sure what the rules are for your presentation, but I think people's curiosity could be piqued a bit more if you made it a personal account of which you're willing to share the intricacies. Tell them why you smoke a pipe rather than how. Show them the rituals, the feeling, the joy you receive from it, maybe some message about how they're under fire from over-taxation and regulation due to being swept out the door with cigarettes.

There's a number of things you could do that might have more impact.

8)

Consider this --

Use the opp to put a friendly face on the use of "demon tobacco." Combine the methods of proper pipe care with caring for a steady, reliable always willing old friend. You could progress from the rough and ready 'cob to a polished billiard. In doing so, you snatch the masks from the hordes of antis- and reveal the pinched wretches beneath.

Kyle Weiss":fovdboog said:
Why not adapt the presentation of the enjoyment and benefit of the pipe, rather than a direct how-to to the wares? Not sure what the rules are for your presentation, but I think people's curiosity could be piqued a bit more if you made it a personal account of which you're willing to share the intricacies. Tell them why you smoke a pipe rather than how. Show them the rituals, the feeling, the joy you receive from it, maybe some message about how they're under fire from over-taxation and regulation due to being swept out the door with cigarettes.

8)
This, but make sure to bring a few packs of pipe cleaners so you can let the class make pipe cleaner animals during everyone else's presentations.

kaiser83":dpo2quts said:
Kyle Weiss":dpo2quts said:

8)
This, but make sure to bring a few packs of pipe cleaners so you can let the class make pipe cleaner animals during everyone else's presentations.
:lol!: :cheers:

PERFECT.

8)