Coming to America - need help

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alandadp

Reaction score
Me and ‘my dearly beloved’ are flying to Orlando at the end of this month to celebrate her XXth birthday (clue – the XX represents a significant, and fairly high, number) at the ‘House of the Mouse’  :roll: (her choice, only our 7th or 8th visit).
I need help – I want to buy some American tobaccos while I’m there, I have problems getting our own best blends in this country let alone yours – you damn Yanks seem to be smoking it all  :evil: .
My present favourites are Robert McConnell’s Scottish Cake, Rattrey’s Old Gowrie and Marlin Flake, MacBaran’s HH Acadian Perique and 7 Seas Regular, Torben Dansk Black Velvet, Dunhill  Nightcap and DNLR, Orlik Bullseye and Golden Slices, and  Condor Long Cut.
Given that, any suggestions on which American blends to buy would be greatly appreciated.
Also, does anyone know a decent pipe shop near Orlando (I will have a car but ‘the dearly beleved won’t want to go far on a tobacco hunt  :roll: ) Google hasn't been that helpful.

Cheers
Adam

your best bet would be to find what you like on some of our domestic web sites and have them shipped to the hotel. a call to the front desk to let them know that a package is coming would do the trick if it showed up a day or two early. you also save on local sales and tobacco taxes this way.

Thanks, that makes sense, now just got to pick the tobacco :scratch: and the website  :scratch:

I agree with jefe's advice.  Take a look at 4noggins, smokingpipes, and mars cigar to get started.  There are many other good places to look if nothing there appeals!

+1 for 4noggins! they do a BOB discount, and its the ONLY place to get Mr. Patton's blends. He has some of the BEST burleys. Storm Front is a personal recommendation!

jefe1037":mk6r6580 said:
+1 for 4noggins! they do a BOB discount, and its the ONLY place to get Mr. Patton's blends. He has some of the BEST burleys. Storm Front is a personal recommendation!
I also thought of the 4Noggins house blends, but I'm unsure how customs would regard untinned tobacco. Anyone have any idea?

All the above advice is what you need to know.

DON"T buy in a FLa. B&M...taxes here will eat you alive. 4-Noggins is my choice as Rich is very accommodating.

I have been using 4noggins and Smokingpipes, as well as Pipes and Cigars to get Fusilier’s Ration. I will suggest grabbing 8 ozs of Cornell and Diehl’s da Vinci, Sutliffs Private Stock Blend #5, and Drew Estates “Meat Pie.” All are Latakia based and delicious. Anything from McClelland’s Frog Morton line is also desirable.

Adam,

Orlando resident here. I can only +1 the recommendations to order online and have shipped to your hotel. Florida's state tax on pipe tobacco means that tins are about twice as much at a brick and mortar store here as what you will pay online. There are no specialty pipe stores in town. Ol' Times Cigars in Casselberry (~35 minutes from Disney) carries a small selection of well-chosen tins and has a wall of inexpensive pipes.

Of course, there was actually a tobacconist on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom once upon a time. I bought a cigar or two there (and smoked them in the park!), but I kick myself that I never bought one of the "Walt Disney World" stamped pipes that they used to sell.

You mentioned that you wanted some suggestions on some American Tobacco, and that you like MacBaren HH Acadian Perique. I would highly recommend GL Pease Cumberland. It is a great natural tobacco in a similar light to Acadian Perique.

jefe1037":12qzxnp8 said:
Yes, this!! Can't go wrong with any of them IMHO. And be sure to enter BoB on the discount code box for 10% off. I don't think it's case sensitive.

Cheers,

RR

jefe1037":th13f930 said:
your best bet would be to find what you like on some of our domestic web sites and have them shipped to the hotel. a call to the front desk to let them know that a package is coming would do the trick if it showed up a day or two early. you also save on local sales and tobacco taxes this way.
This was my first thought upon reading your original post, Adam. This way you can get some good tobacco while taking part in a quaint yank pipe smoker's tradition we have of Dodging State Taxes by Ordering from Elsewhere. If you decide on 4 Noggins, you really must try the Storm Front. For some reason it seems uniquely American to me, perhaps because the blender (a fellow BoB, BTW) created it specifically for cobs.

All of the above is some good advice but has left out one of the PREMIER AMERICAN blenders, McClelland's out of Kansas City!!! As well as having a wide variety of bulk blends/mixtures available ( from MANY e-tailers ) they are the PRIMO American Virginia blenders (JMHO ) and I HIGHLY recommend two, their Virginia Woods for a ribbon cut Red Va and Blackwoods Flake for one of THE BEST Red Va flakes. My preferred e-tailer is smokingpipes.com and they carry the COMPLETE selection of blends/mixtures McC does. Give 'em a look over and try some!! :bounce: :bounce: 

I would also recommend Patton's Storm Front from 4- Noggins as well as either Crossroads or Oriental Dusk. If you really like Turkish notes try Captain Earle's 'Honor Blend' - a solid plug...or Cornell & Diehl's 'Riverboat Gambler' or 'Oriental Silk' from the same maker. You're also in the right preference profile for McClelland's "Dark Star".

My favorite Brit goodies are Warrior, G&H No. 7 Broken Flake, Dark Flake Scented, etc. and I really enjoy any if the ones I suggested. Good luck & bring lots of money to leave in the colonies! lol

Blackhorse":mpg9mthn said:
Good luck & bring lots of money to leave in the colonies! lol
'My dearly beloved' will be dealing with that side of things :)

Speaking of your "dearly beloved", when you said it was her XXth birthday I assumed those were roman numerals and took you for a cradle robber.  :p 

George, surely you know only a bounder would reveal a lady's name  :evil: 
She's 60  :!: 
Which leaves you this question: Am I a bounder or is 'my dearly beloved' not a lady :?:  :lol:

alandadp":1p71cjcc said:
George, surely you know only a bounder would reveal a lady's name  :evil: 
She's 60  :!: 
Which leaves you this question: Am I a bounder or is 'my dearly beloved' not a lady :?:  :lol:
Sounds like she's what we call a "Cougar", "older lady", "younger man" Sounds good to me  :twisted: :twisted: 

McClelland Frog Morton anything
McClelland Blue Mountain
Two Friends English Chocolate
Mac Baren HH Syrian
McClelland Syran Three Oaks

alandadp":vgojb4bi said:
Reminds me of that old line, "That's no lady, that's my wife."  :p