Confession

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dramatwist

Reaction score
In private, I smoke Penzance and other English blends.

In public, aromatics.

I am happy to be finally out of the closet.

Best,

Keeping the good stuff for yourself. I can't say I blame you.  :D 

Dramatwist":ax3ahvcd said:
In private, I smoke Penzance and other English blends.

In public, aromatics.

I am happy to be finally out of the closet.

Best,

AAAARRRGH! You traitor!   :fpalm: :lol!: 

AJ

I say we hang 'em high, and smoke his Penzance, too!

:lol!: 

There's really nothing wrong with aromatics, in or out of the closet. Most of the flavorings are quite agreeable to me and they taste fine. The trouble is that they don't taste like tobacco. Almost all of them improve, to my palate, with the addition of rather large amounts of PA. It's amazing how much you can dilute them and still taste and presumably smell the toppings. Just an observation.

Here's a confession of my own: I prefer OTCs, or at least Middleton OTCs, to just about anything.  I base that, not on conscious choice, but on the apparent quantity consumed versus "the good stuff." It isn't a cost issue with me, it's just that there seems to be a proprietary casing or something underlying their blends that I crave. Open a can of Kentucky Club Mixture, stick your nose in, and tell me that doesn't smell good. Dunno. I certainly appreciate Penzance and McClelland and C & D delectations, etc., but can't actually say I crave them. It must be the propylene glycol and floor sweepings combination that floats my boat. There. I'm out of the closet. Feels good, a heavy weight off my chest.  ;)

I smoke post 2012 Escudo and like it. :fpalm: 
I don't know, maybe I got a couple of real bad tins of it last year.
That's my only excuse and I'm sticking to it. :suspect: 

Cartaphilus":zspaufkm said:
I smoke post 2012 Escudo and like it. :fpalm: 
I don't know, maybe I got a couple of real bad tins of it last year.
That's my only excuse and I'm sticking to it. :suspect: 
Or someone at Escudo, Inc. read your posts here.  :lol:

Nothing wrong with a good aromatic backy in my books, so long as the flavouring isn't too sticky in the blend, not a fan of fruit flavoured blends but that's just me, I do enjoy the odd aromatic and am certainly not uncomfortable in doing so.  :sunny: 

Lately, I've been smoking more aromatics, especially when my wife is around...but it seems to come and go as a preference.

The only aromatic I have tried is Grousemoor. A friend purchased it for me, and I thought it only right to give it a whirl. It was lovingly described in one review as similar to "eating lemon cake at your grandmother's house where the smell of old wood, and time linger." After trying it, I tend to agree... if your grandmother is/was a medical marijuana grower. The botanical/lemon combo in this guy come across to my tastes like a funky herbal cough drop. All this makes it the more strange to consider how many bowls I've gone back for.

I usually smoke virginias, burleys, orientals (or blends thereof), the occasional English/Balkan, and sometimes reach for an aromatic.

My aromatic of choice ATM is Hearth & Home Landmakr Series: Manor Heights. Tastes like a Manhattan with two cherries. Delicious.

I'm jealous that you're a Bi-Smoker (he he). I've tried and tired English blends but I only love my Aros. Go figure.

Funny confession. I smoke non-partially. To me it's just like choosing the right wine for the occasion. Most have their place. I definitely don't get hung up on trying to master one blend. Variety is the spice of life.

I know for sure that with a non partial palate I miss out on truly understanding the depths of an individual tobacco, but I guess I'd rather have a broader spectrum of likes with a shallower understanding, than a mastery of a few. To each is own. Enjoy what you enjoy!