Confessions of a closet Virginia hater

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichaelM

Reaction score
I've seen plenty of posts and reviews stating things like "I can stand latakia" or "I can't tolerate burley." But never do I recall anyone saying that they don't like Virginia. Well, I've come to the difficult realization that I don't like Virginia!
I've commented elsewhere about how BurPer blends are much more agreeable to me than VaPer blends, and I've also mentioned my dissapointment with 5100 Red Cake. On the latter, I get the sweetness and the grassy hay, but I also get a horrible tartness that is just annoying, and the other flavors are so subtle that it is just blah (In my opinion). But I keep reading these glowing reviews of Va tobbaco, so I figure I must be mising something.
After research and deep contemplation over many bowls of burley, I decided to try two last ditch blends. I bought some HH old dark fired, and some Dark navy flake. The minute I saw these blends I knew that these would be the ones to get me on the path to Va enlightenment. Dark pressed spicy smelling goodness. Well, after about 3 bowls of each, and I know this is going to get me labeled a heretic, I find them no different from 5100 RC! Bland tangy blah.
So I am done. I have spent my last dollar on straight Va tobacco. I still enjoy blends that feature Va, but not prominently. I confess, I don't like it. But I still have to wonder if I'm alone. Where are the others who find these tobaccos boring? Step up and be counted! I know I may be in a small minority, but am I really alone?
Mike.

Well we are each wired our own way, and there's definitely a whole lot of body chemistry involved too boot.

To me, most straight burley blends from SWR to the C&D Burley Flakes taste bitter & entirely unpleasant. They also burn the Bejesus out of my tongue. Dark Fired stuff aside, there are very few straight burleys that I can smoke.

I use ta could but, it seems I also don't care for straight VA's anymore.
I use to like DF but, for some reason I've just lost my taste for it and every other I try seems to be bland and ho hum lately. Maybe I'll revisit some later on but, right now
it just doesn't do a thing for me. God help me if I ever lose the taste for Escudo. 8)

I agree with D & B... Most burley just doesn't work for me. I guess burley is to me what Virginia is to Mike. And that's the beauty of this whole endeavor - I'm not smoking what he's smoking and vice versa. As long as we're happy pipe-men.

I used to not like straight VAs. I remember my first bowl of Christmas Cheer 2013. Holy crap! It was awful. Hot, tonguebite, and just nasty. I started trying other blends, burley, latakia, etc. As I learned to smoke slower and drier baccy, my tastes swung wildly and then settled on VAs,Va/Pers, and oriental. Latakia is good, when I am in the mood, or it is blended well (not the leading flavor). Burleys just don't sit well with me. I try and try. I will pull out the burley blends i have and try them from time to time to see if I can smoke them without bite. Maybe eventually.

Don't worry if you don't like VAs. Everyone has a different pallate. And tastes seem to change for no reason. Just look at the people that like that old granny soap called lakelands. (I have some Kendals that I like) :lol!: Or love Tabolaka. Blech! Anyways, it is all good. If you have VAs you want to get rid of, you have my addy. Ill send you the burleys. :twisted: :twisted: I am actually glad there are people that don't like VAs. It means there is more for me. :lol!:

Old Nate":qe1sfxob said:
I agree with D & B... Most burley just doesn't work for me. I guess burley is to me what Virginia is to Mike. And that's the beauty of this whole endeavor - I'm not smoking what he's smoking and vice versa. As long as we're happy pipe-men.
I think Nate sums it up nicely!  And I agree that we all should just enjoy what we like.  I just find it interesting that Virginia seems to be almost universally liked.  But at least I don't see a future where I have to fight anyone for the last burley blend.  However, the last tin if Escudo might get ugly :p
Mike.

DrumsAndBeer":wy5nayc3 said:
Well we are each wired our own way, and there's definitely a whole lot of body chemistry involved too boot.
I've always felt like I'm left out and missing the fun of trying new things but I learned many years ago that I'm a very sensitive one trick pony. The only tobacco I can stand is a light to medium English/Balkan. Same with cigars a light to med with a Conn shade wrapper. On top of that my pallet is simple and I really don't get the complexities of smoke so a bowl of some vintage BS isn't that much better than a bowl of the aged bulk PSBS, EMP or AM Pipe that I have in the cellar.
I guess to look on the bright side this has saved me the cost of TAD and have put it into the pipe collection. :shock:

MichaelM":bsq8mggj said:
.... but am I really alone?
Mike.
YEP! You da Lone ranger ! Your name has been put on THE LIST and soon ALL your pipes will clog up and turn sour and all your wooden matches will not light anymore." VE HAF WAYS OF DEALING MIT PEOPLE LIKE YOU "  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I've given it more thought and if you stay convinced of this infatuation with Burley, ALL your pipes will turn to $3.95 blisterpac Yellow-Bowls with tar encrusted stingers that won't pass a cleaner and the will begin to look like those "Codger" pipes with so much cake barely a #2 yellow pencil will pass down into the bowl !! It's sad, so sad :( :( :( :twisted: :twisted:

Tobacco whore here. I like any blend that tastes like tobacco. To my tasting apparatus, virginias do seem a bit more on the cigarette side of things, whereas the burleys tend toward the cigar side. This makes the burleys a touch easier to "get," speaking only for myself, of course. I don't yet "get" FVF, for example, a blend I probably will never buy again. Yet I love Escudo, though it took me a while to reach that state. And I wish to hell and back that they still made Balkan Sobranie No. 10, with the cigar leaf. But in general I would say I prefer the burleys, if I had to choose. They just seem more "pipey."

I learned to like straight virginias almost entirely through the assistance of the McClelland company, if it's of any help. They dance circles around the Brits, in my opinion. Hard to believe anyone couldn't like their products.

Just an off hand suggestion but perhaps you should try a Virginia / Turkish. A lot of Virginia smokers don't care for them but you might. Plus the Turkish tobacco will likely cut the tartness as you perceive it. And if you would like to get closer to your comfort zone, there are Va/Tur blends with burley and or perique. Just a thought.

I'm with Richard...I like almost everything and smoke anything that looks and smells interesting to me. I'm fairly new to the pipe, and have been discovering new likes and dislikes as I move from OTC tobaccos to harder to find fare. You fellas have turned me on to more blends than I can probably smoke in a year of two of puffing. But my list grows...kudos to you brothers who turned me on to Navy Flake. Its great!

I don't care for straight Va that much, but for that matter, I don't care for straight burley either. I seem to like mixtures of at least 3 tobaccos, usually burley, Va, and one or more condimental tobaccos.

Old Nate":lagpbc5z said:
Smoked a bowl of Red Cake tonight. Happy to be a Virginia lover!
I love Red Cake too. Add a bit of perique and you have one of the best VaPers available

SpeedyPete":8wmqngjm said:
Old Nate":8wmqngjm said:
Smoked a bowl of Red Cake tonight. Happy to be a Virginia lover!
I love Red Cake too. Add a bit of perique and you have one of the best VaPers available
Also add some stoved Virginia and it'll raise it a notch. Good for a change of pace.

I have to admit Mike that my palate isn't discerning enough to appreciate some straight Va's but I am definitely a Va' junkie in some respects, so long as I have some blending Perique to toss in the mix I can turn any Va' into something wonderful to my tastes.

Although you don't get along with Va's I wouldn't let that make you feel at odds in any way, some folk love Pasta and some folk hate the stuff, nothing wrong with being on either side of the fence. Bur/Per works for me too, that Solani Aged Burley Flake rubbed out and mixed with equal parts blending Perique is absolutely astounding.