Confused about Petersons (and other stuff)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jordies' right - Proper English is the best bargain out there - Oriental Supreme also super

Proper English is their pinnicle (as far as english goes)...

I also groove on English Luxury but will be the first to admit most will see it as far inferior to Proper English..

Yak":k13d0271 said:
Yo, Hug --

Just hold it stem-down and blot the moisture bead with a kleenex.

80Ss rule ! Had my first transcendental experience with one -- brand new -- in 1975. Looking at it on my desk as I type this.

:face:
I'll give that a try next time.

UPDATE:

Well, here's the story. While I was looking at the very nice pipe jhugget recommended, I saw a pipe I liked even better - much much better. Fell in love with it better. Thing is, it was twice the price. So, do we buy pipes at twice the price as pipes that are already very nice and fulfill what we'd decided was what we want, just because we like the looks?

While I was pondering this question, which I'm sure I'm not the first on this forum to consider, this happened.

IMG_2111.jpg

Long story short, my internet went out. When it came back, the first pipe - the one jhugget recommended - was GONE. Obviously a sign the weather gods wanted me to get the other pipe!

So, I'm waiting for delivery on what was described as a Peterson System De Luxe with Sterling Silver (999) (P-Lip) (1999). If they haven't taken it down, you can have a gander here:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/ireland/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=66424

Color me anxious, nervous - and excited.

Sorry but I have a Peterson bent Bulldog and a Nording Signature billiard. I prefer the Nording. Why? Because it seems to be a cooler, more flavorful smoke with the same t'baccy and it's much lighter in weight.

And you just had to wait until I dropped $100+ to make that comment. -_-

j/k dude I was going to get this shape no matter what anyone said, probably. It's the shape I like the most in the brand I like the most, and a military, too.

It was -destiny-.

Don't sweat it, you did good. Just remember you've already been told that there's no "perfect" pipe. I'm pretty sure your new Pete will play well with the other hundred pipes in your collection. ( And if you're thinking that you don't have a hundred pipes....just give it time...) ;)

Going back to the QC issue. Every bent system Pete I have had a draft hole that was too high. This can make the pipe smoke "wet". Easy enough to fix with pipe mud if it bothers you ( it did, so I did) but that's what the "trap" is for.

In my admittedly limited experience, the best Petersons smoke as well as the best pipes, period. But the not-so-good ones are for any number of reasons, incapable of offering a top class smoke. So hopefully yours satisfies - it's certainly a beauty.

Dakki":2y2wspoj said:
And you just had to wait until I dropped $100+ to make that comment. -_-

j/k dude I was going to get this shape no matter what anyone said, probably. It's the shape I like the most in the brand I like the most, and a military, too.

It was -destiny-.
Peterson 999 shapes, especially when complemented with a silver band are really attractive. I have only 1 999, though not that 1. It's a chubbier version sans band from the 70's- a Dublin and London which I actually bought from a board member here a few years back and remains 1 of my favorite pipes. Smokes just fine. Actually own and enjoy a number of Nordings but on a pipe by pipe basis, some Nordings I have smoke equally well some less so, but none smoke better. Own about 12 Petersons and not a bad smoker in the lot, but obviously an individual pipe may vary for an individual smoker for any number of reasons. earl

As you can see from my avatar I'm a Peterson's fan. I've been smoking them for 40+ years and still have the first one I ever bought (and it still smokes great). I've got about 30 pipes in my regular rotation now and a dozen or so are Pete's, and all of them are great smokers or they wouldn't still be here. The p-lip is great for when you can't afford to drop a pipe (like in the middle of a trout stream). Just one old man's VHO.