cookies

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
1) yes, I know it is the way of the world.
2) no, it's not something I give a lot of thought. I don't don a tin foil hat too often and conspiracy spiral.

I'm not a big fan of websites hitting me up with an email moments after I click off their site, asking me if they can answer any questions or "did you see anything you liked?" If they do it often enough, I go into my browser settings and set it to delete the cookies when I leave the site. It's not something I like to do with businesses I appreciate or if they're something I want to support and am generally OK with tracking, but there's a breaking point too. I find it to be too aggressive of a business model.

Further, while I theoretically would like to help other users, I'm not a big fan of writing reviews for websites for free. After all, you are working for them on some level if you're helping encourage their customers to buy something. If I write for you, maybe give me a discount or a coupon or something. It's also questionable whether you're also being used to pepper review sections with real life experience amongst purchased review bots, so how believable are any of them?

It's just this tipping point for me. I'm supporting you by spending my money with you. I'm glad to do it, but then you're going to hound me with daily sales, wanting reviews, watching what I do on your website, and this overall feeling like it's no longer just a pleasant shopping experience. I've receiving more emails from you than I am my own circle of friends and family, and that's a problem in my opinion. You're pushing me to exclude you, and since technology can also be used at my advantage, I guess you give me no other choice than to avoid you until I need you.

Hey Zeno, use some tech to your advantage and install a decent ad blocker.

If using a crap browser that doesn't really support them, looking at you here Chrome, switch to one that does.

Far fewer emails and web spam related shite from all my browsing that way.

Hey Zeno, use some tech to your advantage and install a decent ad blocker.

If using a crap browser that doesn't really support them, looking at you here Chrome, switch to one that does.

Far fewer emails and web spam related shite from all my browsing that way.
It's one of the very few reasons I like Chrome. You can go into your cookies settings and have it delete site and related 3rd party cookies when you exist the website or close the tab. So you don't have to wipe all your cookies and cache clean in order to get rid of that one single site's cookies. Nevertheless, it already recognizes my IP and is sending me an email because I visited the site and didn't buy anything. So I basically only use Chrome when shopping. Otherwise, I'm on Firefox or Brave (built on the Chrome code, but as freeware and some little features here and there not on Chrome).

I should mention that this is a tobacco site that I'm complaining about here. I go look up their price on Sutliffe tobacco X, and within five minutes, I have an email "you just visited the site. can we help you with anything?" Yeah, I don't like that at all.

1) yes, I know it is the way of the world.
2) no, it's not something I give a lot of thought. I don't don a tin foil hat too often and conspiracy spiral.

I'm not a big fan of websites hitting me up with an email moments after I click off their site, asking me if they can answer any questions or "did you see anything you liked?" If they do it often enough, I go into my browser settings and set it to delete the cookies when I leave the site. It's not something I like to do with businesses I appreciate or if they're something I want to support and am generally OK with tracking, but there's a breaking point too. I find it to be too aggressive of a business model.

Further, while I theoretically would like to help other users, I'm not a big fan of writing reviews for websites for free. After all, you are working for them on some level if you're helping encourage their customers to buy something. If I write for you, maybe give me a discount or a coupon or something. It's also questionable whether you're also being used to pepper review sections with real life experience amongst purchased review bots, so how believable are any of them?

It's just this tipping point for me. I'm supporting you by spending my money with you. I'm glad to do it, but then you're going to hound me with daily sales, wanting reviews, watching what I do on your website, and this overall feeling like it's no longer just a pleasant shopping experience. I've receiving more emails from you than I am my own circle of friends and family, and that's a problem in my opinion. You're pushing me to exclude you, and since technology can also be used at my advantage, I guess you give me no other choice than to avoid you until I need you.
I was hoping this was about Christmas baking. That aside, I agree with you, it is intrusive but at least there are still ways to limit the intrusion.

My favorites are “Sunbacles” just like Grandma Helga used to make. Basically butter, sugar, flour, etc. To me, they spelled Christmas!

IMG_7636.jpeg

I'll agree with the frustration of sites that pop up a box that says "Would you like to leave us some feedback by taking a 5 minute survey?!" within 3 seconds of entering the site. Half the time, I haven't had enough time to formulate any feedback because I haven't even seen the site yet! At least wait until I've completed a transaction to ask!

Edit: P.S. chocolate chip cookies. My gal just made a batch, but we found a mouse had gotten into our baking flour. The only flour we had (in sufficient quantity) was gluten free flour. They were the worst cookies she's ever baked, we both agreed. Don't buy gluten free flour unless your health truly necessitates it. We only had it on hand for her teenage niece, who has since apparently been cured of her celiac disease.

My favorites are “Sunbacles” just like Grandma Helga used to make. Basically butter, sugar, flour, etc. To me, they spelled Christmas!

View attachment 14116
Those look so good!

My grandmother made shortbread cookies about that size for Christmas each year. They never lasted long enough for a photograph. So good with strong coffee!

Thanks for the little boost in spirit :giggle:.

I mostly "surf" using Opera on an Android phone. It has an ad blocker, etc., and I rarely get this kind of unwanted email. I also have tried Duckduckgo, Firefox, and Brave. It is completely annoying to realize you are being watched.
As far as real Christmas cookies, a favorite is Boston, then oatmeal raisin and old fashioned sugar cookies with the shapes and colored sugar.