Corn Cob pipes!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, after smoking briars for the last 18 months or so (and loving it!), I have finally tried a corn cob pipe - Wow! What a great smoke from a pipe that was literally around $5 new. I knew they had a big following but having tried them now I am pretty impressed.

Cob on, brothers! :king:

I am pretty sure marscigars.com has the BEST prices on cobs, but if you want to try a variety you can also go direct through MM and get their grab bag http://www.corncobpipe.com/product.php?productid=16207&cat=0&page=1 which is an awesome value. I even had a diplomat in my order.
Cobs are the most under rated pipes out there and provide one of the best smokes possible, glad you are enjoying them as well brother.

Yup, they're the best value around for having a pipe on the go. Worst case if it gets dropped/broken/lost/etc. you're not out much. Besides, some of them smoke really well too.

These stories are all too common. Despite all the advise to the contrary, I waited nearly a hear before I picked up my first cob and my first pouch of OTC burley. I still kick myself for waiting so long.

IMHO every pipe smoker should be required to smoke at least one pouch of Carter Hall or Prince Albert through a cob before he's allowed to move on.

Everyone knows that burleys smoke well in cobs, but I think it was Shane who turned me on to smoking FVF in a cob. That was a good day.

Cob + PA are a great combination. I think I might load a bowl for a little later.

Nothing like "buttered popcorn" from Squadron Leader (which I think has a fair amount of Burley in it) in a cob. 8)

Heres a question for you, lads; the cobs I bought have filters in them - if I want to remove this filter, do I need to buy some kind of adaptor?

Cheers

unwelcomeguest":4sslzku6 said:
Heres a question for you, lads; the cobs I bought have filters in them - if I want to remove this filter, do I need to buy some kind of adaptor?

Cheers
Nope just smoke em without. Careful though at the bottom of the bowl, When I broke in my second on little bits of burning stem would hit my tongue on occasion. There is a dang good thread Stickied on here about break in for cobs.

I'll save tiltjp the trouble. :lol:

http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer

Read that...it's packed with good stuff.

Also, speaking of packing, there's a way to "draft pack" the cob (as I call it) to get the airway feeling just right when you smoke without the filter (which I recommend). It might take some tries to get it just right for your smoking style, but if done properly, you won't get mouthfuls of ash, and you won't have to monkey around with any adapters, pieces of pipe cleaners, and other things that I tried, and at least for me, were more trouble than they were worth.

8)

I typically rotate through the cobs randomly. If I have tongue bite, I will intentionally grab a cob and smoke it with the filter in.

Maybe it takes away some fullness of flavor, but it makes a world of difference with the steam that comes towards the end of a bowl.

Blackhorse":b2u4s5fj said:
there's a way to "draft pack" the cob (as I call it) to get the airway feeling just right when you smoke without the filter

...waiting for the other shoe to drop.
So... How do I "draft pack" my cob? I tried smoking without the filter last night and I did get a bit of ash in my mouth near the end of the bowl.

Blackhorse":z0ieq60p said:
I think 'draft pack' refers to filling the bowl to the top, packing it down until the draw is slightly restricted, then topping it off, and packiing it down gently.

8)
That's exactly the way I was taught to pack a cob.

Steveaux":riaemy2t said:
Blackhorse":riaemy2t said:
I think 'draft pack' refers to filling the bowl to the top, packing it down until the draw is slightly restricted, then topping it off, and packiing it down gently.

8)
That's exactly the way I was taught to pack a cob.

Yup, that way you still get the restriction and don't have to mess with the filters. I've been doing that for years, and I see no reason to change now.

What BH said (although I missed a shoe, I guess)... draft packing is kind of an innate thing I eventually did as I fumbled about with my first cob.

Man, I'm hoping for a Bulldog Cob to come out next year. The future looks hazy, but I'm still hoping. :D

8)