Corn Cob pipes!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one in straight stem is still my go to cob. Very low cost and I can make a bowl last an hour.

ctrygent.jpg

Blackhorse":dtqexysq said:
Mars has the natural version in stock for the same price.

I know cause I just ordered one.

http://www.marscigars.com/corncob-freehand.aspx

Under the Product Options...marked "Finish" it's listed at "Natural/Rough".

Price with flat rate shipping is something like $28.

I ordered one earlier in the week too, but mine was the Finished version.
Same price and all...

I have one bent MM Diplomat for Virginias, mild VaPer's and one straight for Irish Flake and stronger Virginia blends. I'll probably pick up a few more here soon. The Irish Flake could use a shallower bowl. I also use a filter if my tongue starts getting burnt.

The next briar I get will probably be the chamber dimensions of the Diplomats. Diplomats are a great balance for various cuts and folded flakes are right at home in the bowl. Not too deep and not too narrow.

I wish there was a chamber size chart...

Simply put, cobs rock. I have 17 in rotation along with 3 meers and one briar.

But I have convinced myself that I really should have a briar nosewarmer. I have a couple of briar blocks waiting for my retirement. I am going to make a couple of nosewarmers from them.

I just got the Natural Freehand in today. I think they've upgraded their stems. The one on this is much nicer than I remember with my other two Freehands...realizing of course that the Freehand has a vulcanite stem of significantly higher grade than the other pipes.

Nice. So light for its capacity. A winner.

A couple of questions about maintenance and stems.

First, is there a simple hack to fill the space where the filter should be? In other words, I don't want to smoke with a filter, so is there anything readily found at home to fill that space? Any remedies you've developed for yourself? I don't care for a super wide-open draw, so normal air flow would be welcomed. I personally feel a wide airflow diminishes the flavor strength. I see that they sell non-filter stems at the MM website, but I'm not going to place an order for a $.75 stem (unless I have to).

Second, is it common to have to give the tenon a light sanding? When I removed the stem to remove the filter, I had a bear of a time putting the stem back in. Lots of squeaking and resistance. I thought for sure I was going to snap the shank. I eventually got it back together. I'm rather impressed with how tough the pipe is, but I'd rather not put that much force on it again.

1. Just don't put the filter in. Smoke away. No need to add anything.

2. Put the stem in the freezer for an hour. Really.

3. A very...VERY light sanding should be fine. The sanding mantra is: easy to remove, very very hard to replace.

4. Nose Oil helps, over time.

Why ruin what is in effect a slight reverse calabash chamber? I just control the draw by tamping pressure. I'm amazed by how well pipes designed for filters smoke without them, or anything else stuffed in the space. At least all mine do, Savinellis, an Il Ceppo, a Dr. Plumb, cobs, etc. But everyone has their preferences. That's mine.

Is the pipe new? Yes, those bits can be really tight, but should loosen with use. When broken in, the fit becomes perfect in my experience.

If you buy bits, get the bits the pipe came with. In other words, if the pipe had a filter, you want the bits for filter pipes, even if you don't use a filter. I'm pretty sure one won't fit the other. I buy them by the dozen. One of the advantages of a cob is that you can chew hell out of the bit and just toss it when it becomes silly looking.

MM Cobs are a favorite for this guy.  Most of them have new stems and my favorites are diplomats and then Mark Twain.  I have been enjoying them since the '70's and if I lose one it is not as big a loss as a briar.  Value per dollar spent is very high.  Just my $.02 from an old fart who is close to a dollar.

Stinger

Zeno Marx":azss76lz said:
A couple of questions about maintenance and stems.

First, is there a simple hack to fill the space where the filter should be?  In other words, I don't want to smoke with a filter, so is there anything readily found at home to fill that space?  Any remedies you've developed for yourself?  I don't care for a super wide-open draw, so normal air flow would be welcomed.  I personally feel a wide airflow diminishes the flavor strength.  I see that they sell non-filter stems at the MM website, but I'm not going to place an order for a $.75 stem (unless I have to).

Second, is it common to have to give the tenon a light sanding?  When I removed the stem to remove the filter, I had a bear of a time putting the stem back in.  Lots of squeaking and resistance.  I thought for sure I was going to snap the shank.  I eventually got it back together.  I'm rather impressed with how tough the pipe is, but I'd rather not put that much force on it again.
I always have a stick of lip balm at hand in my smoking den. A little rub of balm on the tenon is all you need. I also use the balm on my vulcanite stems to prevent oxidisation. Works like a charm

SpeedyPete":7ctlriaz said:
I always have a stick of lip balm at hand in my smoking den. A little rub of balm on the tenon is all you need. I also use the balm on my vulcanite stems to prevent oxidization. Works like a charm
Nice solution, and that stuff never goes bad. You could have the same Chapstick in your kit for 30 years.

tiltjlp":sqnx2mcs said:
Blackhorse":sqnx2mcs said:
Mars has the natural version in stock for the same price.

I know cause I just ordered one.

http://www.marscigars.com/corncob-freehand.aspx

Under the Product Options...marked "Finish" it's listed at "Natural/Rough".

Price with flat rate shipping is something like $28.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that.
I usually order cobs by telephone from MM, and they can tell what models are available in natural finish. I have Mark Twains and Diplomats in natural. Very light and cool smoking. No need for filters. Packing is easy peasy. Good idea to pick up a spare mouthpiece or three.

For those well versed in cobs, which Missouri Meerschaums have larger bowls? If you dig around, it seems all the bowls are from .6-.8 inner diameter. That doesn't seem like much variation. I'm new to the cob. I only have one cob, a MM Legend (.7" inner diameter). I'm not looking for something massive. If the Legend is a group 3, I'm looking for a group 4 or even 4.5. The Legend is just a tad smaller than I'd like. Also looking to keep the cost under $10, which is why I'm not opening it up to the custom lines or custom makers. Still inexpensive, but just a wee bit bigger bowl capacity.

ps-not interested in the MacArthur or more flamboyant shapes.

Zeno - just go to a vendor site like Mars and check out the variety of cobs offered. The ones with the larger bowls will invariably be the more expensive ones. These also have the hardwood plug in the bottom of the bowl which is a good thing.

Also...go to the MM website (https://corncobpipe.com/) and look up the pipes yourself. The complete specs are listed at the bottom of the “description” page for each.

The process of doing your own research rather than depending on hearsay lets you know the data is correct...and it allows you a review of the different offerings. Both are good things.