Costners Pipe in Hatfield & McCoys?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Undertaker

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the previews to the History channel mini series of the Hatfields and McCoys? Kevin Costner plays Devil Anse Hatfield, and he seems to be smoking a pipe in most of the teasers. Anyone have any clue to the maker? Or type? I personally like it.

Dont know what kind of pipe it is but Im also looking foreward to watching it.

Yeah I would have to agree with the short cutty pipe. Kinda reminds me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kduuhwhh0ZQ

On another note. Devil Anse Hatfield is my aunts great great great grandfather. Frank Phillips is my great great great uncle. I have seen a few of my relatives get killed in the show. It is pretty amazing what they have done with this show, historically is it pretty accurate even down to the characters they have playing people, look very much like the old family photos my parents have of the actual people.

JVickers43":kiq61vhl said:
Yeah I would have to agree with the short cutty pipe. Kinda reminds me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kduuhwhh0ZQ

On another note. Devil Anse Hatfield is my aunts great great great grandfather. Frank Phillips is my great great great uncle. I have seen a few of my relatives get killed in the show. It is pretty amazing what they have done with this show, historically is it pretty accurate even down to the characters they have playing people, look very much like the old family photos my parents have of the actual people.
That is absolutely wild!! I'm truly enjoying the show. I thinking the casting of Costner and Paxton are spot on. Every time I see him spark up his pipe I get the urge to do the same!!

Brewdude":d2h08yv9 said:
tech2576":d2h08yv9 said:
Brewdude":d2h08yv9 said:
History Channel is one that I don't get on my basic cable bundle.

I'd love to see it.

:cry:

Cheers,

RR
Right hear -

http://www.history.com/shows/hatfields-and-mccoys/videos/hatfields-and-mccoys-part-1#hatfields-and-mccoys-part-1
Thanks but my computer cannot deal with videos. So no youtube for me!

And yes, I've tried.

:no:

Cheers,

RR
What! Your good old Commodore 64 that you upgraded to handle DOS won't play videos?!? I'd take it back and ask for a newer model! :lol:

Natch

Natch":7ihdmolc said:
Brewdude":7ihdmolc said:
tech2576":7ihdmolc said:
Brewdude":7ihdmolc said:
History Channel is one that I don't get on my basic cable bundle.

I'd love to see it.

:cry:

Cheers,

RR
Right hear -

http://www.history.com/shows/hatfields-and-mccoys/videos/hatfields-and-mccoys-part-1#hatfields-and-mccoys-part-1
Thanks but my computer cannot deal with videos. So no youtube for me!

And yes, I've tried.

:no:

Cheers,

RR
What! Your good old Commodore 64 that you upgraded to handle DOS won't play videos?!? I'd take it back and ask for a newer model! :lol:

Natch
No. The problem seems to be my OS and flash compatibility. I'm not tech savvy at all, and a few local computer geeks couldn't get it to work. And I'm not inclined to switch my OS for various reasons.

I'm OK with this too. If I had access to youtube I'd spend even more time in front of this damn computer than I do now!

:p

Cheers,

RR

We mostly fight that feud on the basket ball court these days. But.

My mother and father split up when I was 2, mostly because of her disapproving parents and a man changed by a war he never wanted in a country called Vietnam. My mother met the brother of a friend named Jacob Hatfield and shortly there after he became my step father. Jacob was the grandson of Jonse Hatfield, the great grandson of the devil himself. I remember him as a giant of a man, loved children. Drank way to much and did enough drugs on a nightly basis to knock an elephant out (it wasn't as stigmatized back then). He had a very good job as some kind of miner in Colorado and he loved my momma. Unfortunately he WAS Jonse Hatfield grandson and liked the ladies a bit to much for my mothers liking. She left him in the middle of suicidal threats and acted like those other women so long ago and came back home to Kentucky after getting mixed up with those Hatfield. Ironically when we got home mom bought our furniture from McCoy's Furniture.

Tried to explain it to my son when we watched episode 3 last night. He kept asking which of the women were Mamaw Carol. At one point after being quite for a bit he said "mamaw married a killer!"

I knew some Hatfields and some McCoys,I also have a friend that his related to the Dalton gang. Often the fued of Hatfields and McCoys still lingers a bit because one would say something about their history to piss the other off and the next thing you know they was beating the crap out of each other. I had so much history , good and bad, around me that it was sickening because of course the teachers would often pound it into our heads. It wasn't until after school I could finally appreciate it for its worth.

The pipe that Devil Anse smokes reminds me of a pre republic Peterson cutty.

yeah it reminds me of a pre republic peterson cutty with the cantered bowl but its more like an apple. Did they have an apple? Also the stem looks seriously thin.

I too wnt to know what this is. but regardless Im going to make one JUST LIKE IT.

haha

Hatfields-McCoys-06-Kevin-Costner-401x600.jpg

cleaned up the image a bit to make it easier to see....

2nga1ro.jpg

Devil Anse's pipe is probably similar to this one. It's an all-briar cutty made for War of Northern Aggression re-enactors. I purchased it from a sutler several years ago, back when wearing heavy, sticky wool and running around with 60 pounds on my back in the dog days of July and August was still fun. The softy pipe bit was my idea. I tend to chew the ends of all wood pipes.