Cuba Libre!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sobx

Reaction score
Like smoking a cloud.

Cuban.jpg

Wow! Nice! What that cost? Last time I shopped Habano’s I was blown away by the “confident” price. They were always expensive but the new co-owners of Habano have expanded the market and doubled the price.

Wow! Nice! What that cost? Last time I shopped Habano’s I was blown away by the “confident” price. They were always expensive but the new co-owners of Habano have expanded the market and doubled the price.
Save your money. IMHO, Nicaraguan cigars are as good as any Havana. Cuba has not recovered from the Soviet pull out of financial support, leaving tobacco growers short on fert, cheese cloth, etc. Padron, Davidoff, and others has them beat, hands down.

Save your money. IMHO, Nicaraguan cigars are as good as any Havana. Cuba has not recovered from the Soviet pull out of financial support, leaving tobacco growers short on fert, cheese cloth, etc. Padron, Davidoff, and others has them beat, hands down.
According to what I was told by a very experienced guy in the tobacco industry, I'll second this. He advised looking for Nicaraguan cigars made from tobacco grown in some of the valley areas like Estelli. I've never had what I knew to be an authentic cuban cigar, so couldn't compare, but the Estelli ones were excellent. I now mostly just smoke pipe tobacco, but love blends with a bit of cigar leaf.

According to what I was told by a very experienced guy in the tobacco industry, I'll second this. He advised looking for Nicaraguan cigars made from tobacco grown in some of the valley areas like Estelli. I've never had what I knew to be an authentic cuban cigar, so couldn't compare, but the Estelli ones were excellent. I now mostly just smoke pipe tobacco, but love blends with a bit of cigar leaf.
I have a box of 25 Cuban Romeo & Juliette Churchill in my humidor - a military friend picked them up in the desert back in 02 or 03 - and they are not very good, nor have they gotten better with age. In 2018 when I was in Victoria, Canada I visited the Cuban Cigar Shop on Fort Street which was very "old world". The owner was German (I figure got out of East Germany) and the burl wood cabinets were gorgeous. One of my favorite cigars is the Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona and he had a case full. I purchased one for $44.00 Canadian. Well, I smoked it at my grandson's first birthday this past summer. I was disappointed - would rate it in the 80s. I have a box of 25 Hoyo de Monterrey Toro Grande in my humidor. Made in Honduras that are wonderful and full bodied. You know the Communists are good at destroying everything they take over.