Cube Cutting Flake Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker13

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I smoke a lot of Flake tobacco. In several reviews of such I've come across the advice to "cube cut" the flake. What, exactly, is this process? Does one simply take a knife and cut the flake into squares? As I write this out it sounds like a very stupid question, but I'd like to pin it down once and for all.

As always, Many Thanks for the help

Cube cutting flake tobacco is just another alternative to rubbing out the flake.  To cube cut flake tobacco I just use a scissors, cutting across the flake.  The cubes aren't necessarily perfectly uniform, but it does the job.

If I am dealing with a whole flake and I want to cube cut it,  I'll tear it into strips lengthwise and cross cut the strips to make small chunks that are something close to cubes. You really just want small even pieces that you can use to gravity fill your pipe. This process helps when you're dealing with firmly pressed, stubborn to light flakes like FVF or certain McClelland VA's.

DrumsAndBeer":mlpbhx84 said:
If I am dealing with a whole flake and I want to cube cut it, I'll tear it into strips lengthwise and cross cut the strips to make small chunks that are something close to cubes. You really just want small even pieces that you can use to gravity fill your pipe. This process helps when you're dealing with firmly pressed, stubborn to light flakes like FVF or certain McClelland VA's.
Right on!! That's also what works for me, especially the gravity fill and I don't over press the cube cut flake in the chamber.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Big G":61ga7h75 said:
Cube cutting flake tobacco is just another alternative to rubbing out the flake.  To cube cut flake tobacco I just use a scissors, cutting across the flake.  The cubes aren't necessarily perfectly uniform, but it does the job.
Yes!

I find it's best to let the flake dry out a bit before taking the scissors to it.  I only do this with chunky flakes or those which are  hard to light.........FVF for instance :)  and.....1792 :roll:  

But, I still prefer whole flakes, fold and stuff because (a) it tastes better and (b) it burns slower

To each his own, though...you kiss your wife the way SHE loves

Yep, snip, snip with scissors to a size that's right for the pipe bowl. It's often good to wait for the flake to dry out before taking the scissors to it.

It's not all that different in practice than cutting across the grain in a lesser cut of meat. If the meat is a little chewy or on the tough side without marbling, cut it in smaller pieces and across the grain to find tenderness. The Asians are masters of this; knowing how to cut meat to get optimum flavor and experience. You might think you're eating a top shelf piece of meat in that dish, but in fact, they just knew how to cut that inexpensive flank steak. So when you're cutting that flake tobacco in cubes, you're essentially doing the same thing.

Brewdude ":gwfyo2ga said:
I've come to embrace the cube cut on FVF. No other method seems to work for this one, and I also dry it thoroughly. Works well for me.
I agree, that's the method I use when FVF is enjoyed in one of my Chubby or pot style pipes. The taste is more enjoyable with no harshness and burns evenly.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

DrumsAndBeer":ak8sezqu said:
If I am dealing with a whole flake and I want to cube cut it,  I'll tear it into strips lengthwise and cross cut the strips to make small chunks that are something close to cubes. You really just want small even pieces that you can use to gravity fill your pipe. This process helps when you're dealing with firmly pressed, stubborn to light flakes like FVF or certain McClelland VA's.
+1
This is word for word exactly what I do, especially the gravity fill.

Just adding to the chorus--cube cutting is the only way to go with damper flakes, and especially true plugs. The funny thing is I actually tried cube cutting even before the old fold-and-stuff--the first tin of tobacco I ever bought was Peterson's Perfect Plug, and needless to say I was flummoxed when I cracked it open. A quick search online suggested cube cutting it so that's what I did...and promptly launched myself into orbit!

Looking back on it, I suspect the tobacconist's suggestion to start with 3P may have been a sick joke! That or the pipe equivalent of throwing a kid into the deep end of a pool to teach him how to swim...but by crikey I learned how to swim!

GrampaGrossbart":e5482z9i said:
Just adding to the chorus--cube cutting is the only way to go with damper flakes, and especially true plugs. The funny thing is I actually tried cube cutting even before the old fold-and-stuff--the first tin of tobacco I ever bought was Peterson's Perfect Plug, and needless to say I was flummoxed when I cracked it open. A quick search online suggested cube cutting it so that's what I did...and promptly launched myself into orbit!

Looking back on it, I suspect the tobacconist's suggestion to start with 3P may have been a sick joke! That or the pipe equivalent of throwing a kid into the deep end of a pool to teach him how to swim...but by crikey I learned how to swim!
At some stage of my life, I was a big Peterson tobacco fan and wanted to try all their blends.  The only blend not available in SA was PPP.  Ordered 3 tins from the USA and paid a LOT of money for it. Smoked one bowl of it and realized this is not for me :evil:

With our next pipe smoker meeting, I took it along and gave it to the guys to try. Not a single one of them smoked through a whole bowl :lol:

Then a friend of mine, living in Johannesburg, asked whether I knew where he could find PPP. I sent him the whole lot., free of charge.  A while later, he sold off some of his tobacco stock and I bought a couple of tins.  He sent me back the 2½ tins of PPP, free of charge, as a little gift   :lol!: