CUSTOMER SERVICE AT IWAN RIES? (UPDATE)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shop at the store and the owner, his wife and son are always there. They're a great shop with a great selection but it is a very busy old line B&M's the internet is neglected at best. I would call and ask for Kevin and tell him what's going on. I agree if you can't keep up with something drop it or get someone dedicated full time to the online part of the biz.  :shock: 

I understand everyone's point off view here and in no way am I asking anyone not to do business with them. I understand that when one goes in person and not contacting them over the phone (as I did) or email that most will be cordial on a face to face basis. Although this in itself can be taken either way as good or bad. If you've never had a problem with them, then by all means continue to do business with them. I'm sure the owner doesn't know how some are being treated.
I was just pointing out my problems with them in hopes to help someone else avoid a headache. I don't expect anything out of anyone else that I wouldn't demand of myself.

As for a letter, this may be a good idea but, being disillusioned by so many other businesses
treating customers this way nowadays I doubt how much weight it will hold.
That and I'm only one person, one letter and I think it'll be just scoffed at and circular filed.
But, I'll give it serious thought.

The letter idea may not be as futile as you may think Ron. Last year I had a 'too do" with an individual at the Pharmacy at a local Target store and wrote a letter to Target Corp. Customer service as well as the Pharmacy conncsessionair and not only got a reply by phone but got a written response from Corp Customer Service and a nice phone conversation from the Pharmacy folks as well. This all surprised me and you might want to give it some thought !

Just to put a turn on this thread - I have never had a problem with SmokingPipes!  :D 

I made a point to find them the last time I was in Chicago. Customer service was exceptional!

Having been in business for 22 years, my most loved clients are the ones who have been gracious when we have made mistakes or have had growing pains.

There are clients who have been loyal the whole time we have been in business. I am greatly indebted to them for allowing me to be human.

Sorry to hear of your situation Ron. I buy from them only once a year in person at the Chicago pipe show. Chuck Levi the owner is an amazing buisnessman and would be greatly hurt to hear of this treatment to any patron. Apparently there is a big difference between face to face transactions and those over the internet or telephone.

docwatson":hu13ezqk said:
Sorry to hear of your situation Ron. I buy from them only once a year in person at the Chicago pipe show. Chuck Levi the owner is an amazing buisnessman and would be greatly hurt to hear of this treatment to any patron. Apparently there is a big difference between face to face transactions and those over the internet or telephone.
Ya know Doc, maybe I've made a mountain out of a mole hill but, I reckon maybe I've tired of how many businesses are turning this way, this is not the first time I've come across this.
There's been four counting them that have this, "Your taking up my time" attitude on the phone and I reckon this is me sharing my frustration. A letter explaining my experience with them to Chuck will be in the mail today.

Ron,
You have NOT made a mountain out of a mole hill. I feel exactly the way that you do. If they don't have the time to sell me a product, I don't have the time to give then my hard earned $$. end of story, and it is best to let them know and that you will pass the word. Word of mouth (message) is huge today in the manner that we do business.

Ditto what Doc said. Btw, your sending a letter to Chuck at IR will only serve to help them---and all of us--- because it will make them be more mindful of every customer interaction. This forum and others like it give an individual customer more "punch" since we can highlight great encounters and bad ones to fellow enthusiasts

I won't deal with them again. I have sent emails on two occasions with questions regarding my order. No replies. Once they get yer money...

flyguy":4lx3phuc said:
I won't deal with them again.  I have sent emails on two occasions with questions regarding my order.  No replies.  Once they get yer money...
I too sent 2 emails and they finally answered them the day the package was delivered.
Too late to do anyone any good. And I seriously doubt my letter will do anything except to provide them with a few good laughs but, we'll see.
I don't have much faith in people, I've learned they'll always do whats good for them and not the group.

Cartaphilus":mc8uf513 said:
I've learned they'll always do whats good for them and not the group.
Uh Oh. Sounds like you're leaning a little bit left there, Cart.  :lol: 

Rad

Rad Davis":tsiuwgju said:
Cartaphilus":tsiuwgju said:
I've learned they'll always do whats good for them and not the group.
Uh Oh.  Sounds like you're leaning a little bit left there, Cart.   :lol: 

Rad
If I lean any further I'll fall down.

[/quote]
If I lean any further I'll fall down. [/quote]

:lol!: :lol!: 

I get where you're coming from! I don't have money to piss away with someone that couldn't care less if they get my business. Granted my business doesn't amount to much but they should make some kind of effort. I gladly pay more to be treated like my business matters. Don't give up on the letter Ron stranger things have happened.

...my .2 ...I've been to their shop a number of times over the years and if you're not one of the regulars, well...I wasn't mistreated but their attitude was less than professional...

My father took me by their shop in 1963 to look for a 1951 gp 4 Dunhill shell billiard...they had advertised some "new old Dunhill stock" and I was fortunate to find one. My father paid $38. for the pipe and when we said we wouldn't be buying anything more...it was as if we were dismissed and should leave.

Some times I've been treated quite well and at other times, less so. As has been said, not earning my business won't do anything to their business but it satisfies me... :cheers:

you can actually remember that much detail from a visit when you were 10 years old?

Bullwinkle":s9909xw7 said:
you can actually remember that much detail from a visit when you were 10 years old?  
...you bet I do...However, I was 13 at the time and any trip I took having to do with pipes, I remember quite well...

PeterD":cw2pnxlh said:
Bullwinkle":cw2pnxlh said:
...you bet I do...However, I was 13 at the time and any trip I took having to do with pipes, I remember quite well...
you list your age as 62.. 62 from 2014 means you were born in 1952 and 1952 from 1962 seems to come out about 10 +/- for month of year. but even at 13 that's quite a talent. any chance you know Marilu Henner?

Sorry to hear of your travail. In my last IR order one item was omitted -- A cheap, clear plastic breast pocket tobacco carrier with a built-in sifter. Old style and better alternatives available, sure, but a nostalgic item for me. I phoned IR and was told by a polite, informed woman that they were in stock, but had stains on them that had bled from the packaging ink. She promised to send one as soon as the replacement shipment arrived. A couple of days later a blemished one arrived in a #10 envelope with a note explaining that this was the pick of the damaged litter and there would be no charge. As promised, the replacement arrived a week or so later. So IR made nothing on that transaction, but I was favorably impressed with their willingness to make good effort to correct my minor problem. My .02 -- Training telephone reps is a constant battle. That's why we've all heard the message -- "This call may be recorded for training purposes." Phone reps can be clueless how they come across to callers when they try to be folksy or funny. It's a job that requires training and frequent refreshers. Screwing up can have major consequences since customers are quick to take their business elsewhere these days, and internet message boards are readily available to broadcast customer dissatisfaction. I agree that a note to IR may at least turn this into a learning experience for someone there. I think this problem could have happened anywhere, except possibly Nordstrom, which doesn't cater to pipers, unfortunately. I hope you're shown more respect next time, Brother.