Cutting a pipe bowl?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluecow

Reaction score
Little background. Been smoking a pipe for about 40 years. A pipe is my preferred nicotine delivery system. I'm not sitting for extended periods of time gazing at my navel and taking a long-drawn-out smoke. Yes I inhale. 5 min. break smoke a bit and back to work. Before you find fault, I grew up around hard working pipe smokers that did the same. Farmers, Lobstermen, Loggers and the like.
SO. I picked up a used Savory's Argyll Smooth Billiard for next to nothing, great draw, nice pipe. BUT IT'S HUGE! Anybody ever cut down a Billard to a Pot? Or, have I lost what few marbles I have left?;)
Thanks

Can it be done...Yes. Have I ever done it...No. Would I do it to a Savory's Argyll...Nope!!! Topping a billiard doesn't make the result a pot; just a shorter billiard. Just fill your pipe, smoke for your allotted 5 minutes; then set it aside to rest & relight on your next break. Other option is to find yourself a smaller pipe!! JMHO...FTRPLT

Or only fill it half full???
1000001011.jpg

It's your pipe, do as you like. But if it were me I'd consider just finding a smaller pipe. You could sell it, or just rack it in case your preferences change. JMO.
One thing that might influence the decision is that according to my reading, this pipe could have been made by Dunhill. I have a Savory's Argyle prince shape, that is a great smoker.

Little background. Been smoking a pipe for about 40 years. A pipe is my preferred nicotine delivery system. I'm not sitting for extended periods of time gazing at my navel and taking a long-drawn-out smoke. Yes I inhale. 5 min. break smoke a bit and back to work. Before you find fault, I grew up around hard working pipe smokers that did the same. Farmers, Lobstermen, Loggers and the like.
SO. I picked up a used Savory's Argyll Smooth Billiard for next to nothing, great draw, nice pipe. BUT IT'S HUGE! Anybody ever cut down a Billard to a Pot? Or, have I lost what few marbles I have left?;)
Thanks
Any pictures?

Thanks
Find a pot on eBay an estate so it's broken in. I am a pipemaker and I wouldn't top a billard with its unique shape.