Dad Passed Away

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
Well Brothers, my Dad passed away a few days ago. In sharing this with you all, I realize how much I appreciate this community. I'm glad to have friends like you to be able share this with. About 6 years ago I lost my Mom to Pancreatic Cancer, and now I've lost my Dad to Leukemia. I just got back from a two-day drive from Michigan where we said our final goodbyes. It's odd, at only 37 years old, to think that my parents are no longer a part of my life.

But this post isn't about a loss. I'm totally at peace with my parents passing. I grew up knowing full well where they'd go when they passed away, and now I have no doubts that they're in a much better place than I.

I want to share a thing or two about Dad. Dad always had a fascination for watches and pens. Among other things, I believe I got my interest in watches and pens from him. But with a growing family, I've had to squelch my desire for things that I would call "expensive luxury items".

When I graduated from High School, one of the things Dad gave me was a Pelikan fountain pen. I used it until it physically fell apart. I love writing with a good pen. A few months ago, I tried to replace that pen with a cheap one, but like they say, "you get what you pay for." It failed me within just a few weeks.

Well, for as long as I can remember, Dad had what I believe is the quintessential fountain pen...the Mont Blanc Meisterstuck 149. I had always admired it and wanted to get one just like it. With my brother being less interested in pens, I did get one just like it! In fact, I found that Dad had a full set, Fountain pen, Ball point pen and Pencil. I don't think the fountain pen had been used in 10+ years. But with a very little bit of effort, I got it writing perfectly. As cheesy as it may sound, I like to send off my pipes with a hand written note of thanks. Now I get to do that with a very special pen.

Thanks for listening. Here's a pic of the set.

Pens-M.jpg

Sorry about your dad. Having things in common is a great way to remember him. Don't fret about quality writing instruments, they can always be repaired. My Pelikan 140 from 1955 is in the shop for a new plunger seal. Then it will be good for another 50 or so years.

Carlos":w862qafu said:
Sorry about your dad. Having things in common is a great way to remember him. Don't fret about quality writing instruments, they can always be repaired. My Pelikan 140 from 1955 is in the shop for a new plunger seal. Then it will be good for another 50 or so years.
Ha, if broken were the biggest problem with my Pelikan, I'd be good. Lost is the main problem. I lost it somewhere after college never to be seen again. I think this 149 could be the last pen I'll ever need. No way I'm losing this one :D

Sorry for your loss brother. May the pen bring you some happiness & fond memories of your father.

Most sorry to hear of your loss, Growley. But there does come a time where it's a kindness.

Onward & Upward !

:face:

Yak":enweblgh said:
Most sorry to hear of your loss, Growley. But there does come a time where it's a kindness.

Onward & Upward !

:face:
In this case, you couldn't be more right. His "life" was quickly becoming not much of one.

Condolences on your loss, and many long years of use with your father's writing instruments.

I'm sorry for your loss Brian. It is the days I dread, losing my parents. It does sound as if you and your dad are a peace and you will see eachother again someday. You're in my thoughts brother.

As cheesy as it may sound, I like to send off my pipes with a hand written note of thanks. Now I get to do that with a very special pen.
I never thought that was cheesy, but another word that ends in sy - classy. I'm sorry to hear about your father, ever time you use that pen, you'll think about him.

condolences, dude. sounds like your'e takin' it all pretty well. hope i'm able to do the same when my dad's time comes.

be well,
doody

Mr. Doody":ywszdr9e said:
condolences, dude. sounds like your'e takin' it all pretty well. hope i'm able to do the same when my dad's time comes.

be well,
doody
Thanks. I am taking it pretty well. I've had time to prepare. I know it's different for everyone, but for me, the time helped.

Sorry about your loss, but I'm glad you have good memories of him

Fr_Tom":1co9lznr said:
It is different for everyone, but it is never easy. There is always unfinished business with fathers. You are on my heart and in my prayers.
I love that statement, "There is always unfinished business with fathers." Very well said.

Please accept my most sincere condolences on your loss Brian. May you always have great memories about your Dad and may they comfort you in the days ahead.

I lost my Pap almost 10 yrs ago, and his stamp is firmly upon my soul. Never a day goes by that I don't think of him or am reminded about his positive influence.

Losing a parent is one of the greatest heartbreaks in all our lives.

:cry:

Cheers,

RR

Brian,
I just saw your post about your dad and say that my thoughts are with you for his passing. I lost my father back in '97 and to this day, his memory and presence has been with me daily. We weren't real close till the last few years of his life when we started talking for real. I'm glad we did but even so I was not as ready for his leaving as I thought I would be. It's good you have something of his to use on a daily basis as this will help. I know, as I have 6 pipes of my fathers that I smoke regularly. Take some time and grieve, it's what's supposed to happen. I'll say a prayer at Mass for him tomorrow.

Mr. Doody":d3lse7tk said:

be well,
doody
I'll echo this.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss Brother. Thinking of you & yours.

Condolences brother. I'm very sorry to read of your loss. Your post really struck a chord with me.

Fraternally

Jers