Daughters & Ryan Picayune (aka D&R)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
I've been so obsessed lately that I felt it deserved its own thread. After hydrating to normal pipe tobacco level, it's been my favorite smoke. Because it has been so windy and cold, I've been exclusively smoking it out of a MM corn cob Legend. I will say this: if you fear ghosts, possibly consider dedicating a pipe to it. I feel odd saying that, because I haven't dedicated a pipe to a tobacco maybe ever, but I've found that it really makes a pipe stink as it is resting on the rack. The whole room reeks, so I've been putting the cob in an airtight plastic container after I give it time to rest and dry. I plan to start toying with blending with some of my VaPer blends. I don't know why it is so unique, but I genuinely feel it is. For lack of a better notion, it strikes me as having a true tobacco flavor. I know I'm not, but I feel like I'm ripping a leaf off the plant and smoking it right then and there. Wholesome or pure or something.

my travels with it so far as I posted in Jim's Revised D&R Blends Reviews thread

Zeno Marx":w4hrofci said:
RE: Picayune

This might be the heaviest blend I've ever tried. I don't know if it is just incredibly strong or if it is also harsh as hell. I did humidify it a bit before the experiment. Because it was originally a cigarette blend, I rolled a cigarette for a trial go. Admittedly, I'm not much of a cigarette smoker, but I've never wanted to cough out a lung like I did here with Picayune. I don't even think my very first cigarette of my life had me coughing so much. I had to laugh. I am looking forward to trying it in a pipe. What little flavor I could manage beyond the hacking, it was like a cigar. I mean, more like a cigar than a cigar. I'll come back with the pipe.
Zeno Marx":w4hrofci said:
RE: Picayune revisited...this time with a pipe

I ran into the same, dry mouth feel as when I smoke C&D's Big N' Burley. Picayune has a very tiny, buried, sweet hint to it though. I also marked, because Picayune is so strong, that even when the wind blows a little diluted smoke back into your breathing zone, you quite notice it. I have to say that this stuff surprised me in the pipe. I thought for sure it was going to be just as unsmokeable as when I tried a RYO. Not as cigar like as I anticipated, either. It was a decent smoke. Not much in complexity or great flavor, but entirely smokeable. I think I'll throw in some Two Timer next time to see if that adds another note. A smart blender could probably make something nice out of this. I don't happen to be much of a blender, so I won't be looking too hard at being that person. I have a couple things I'm thinking to throw at it, but that's it.

Zeno Marx":sr85ohhw said:
I've been so obsessed lately that I felt it deserved its own thread.  After hydrating to normal pipe tobacco level, it's been my favorite smoke.  Because it has been so windy and cold, I've been exclusively smoking it out of a MM corn cob Legend.  I will say this:  if you fear ghosts, possibly consider dedicating a pipe to it.  I feel odd saying that, because I haven't dedicated a pipe to a tobacco maybe ever, but I've found that it really makes a pipe stink as it is resting on the rack.  The whole room reeks, so I've been putting the cob in an airtight plastic container after I give it time to rest and dry.  I plan to start toying with blending with some of my VaPer blends.  I don't know why it is so unique, but I genuinely feel it is.  For lack of a better notion, it strikes me as having a true tobacco flavor.  I know I'm not, but I feel like I'm ripping a leaf off the plant and smoking it right then and there.  Wholesome or pure or something.

my travels with it so far as I posted in Jim's Revised D&R Blends Reviews thread

RE:  Picayune

This might be the heaviest blend I've ever tried.  I don't know if it is just incredibly strong or if it is also harsh as hell.  I did humidify it a bit before the experiment.  Because it was originally a cigarette blend, I rolled a cigarette for a trial go.  Admittedly, I'm not much of a cigarette smoker, but I've never wanted to cough out a lung like I did here with Picayune.  I don't even think my very first cigarette of my life had me coughing so much.  I had to laugh.  I am looking forward to trying it in a pipe.  What little flavor I could manage beyond the hacking, it was like a cigar.  I mean, more like a cigar than a cigar.  I'll come back with the pipe.
RE: Picayune revisited...this time with a pipe

I ran into the same, dry mouth feel as when I smoke C&D's Big N' Burley.  Picayune has a very tiny, buried, sweet hint to it though.  I also marked, because Picayune is so strong, that even when the wind blows a little diluted smoke back into your breathing zone, you quite notice it.  I have to say that this stuff surprised me in the pipe.  I thought for sure it was going to be just as unsmokeable as when I tried a RYO.   Not as cigar like as I anticipated, either.  It was a decent smoke.  Not much in complexity or great flavor, but entirely smokeable.  I think I'll throw in some Two Timer next time to see if that adds another note.  A smart blender could probably make something nice out of this.  I don't happen to be much of a blender, so I won't be looking too hard at being that person.  I have a couple things I'm thinking to throw at it, but that's it.
Very intriguing...
I have toyed with the idea of trying some D&R blends and this makes me consider it more

Fight'n Hampsters":u6brtfug said:
Very intriguing...
I have toyed with the idea of trying some D&R blends and this makes me consider it more
I honestly don't think anyone into the components would be disappointed. They might not like it, but it wouldn't be akin to drudging the bottom. Once hydrated, everything about it performs and feels like a quality tobacco. I know people throw all kinds of labels at D&R. Some might be deserving. I haven't tried but maybe 25% of them, so I'm not going to get into that battle. Honestly, if you had to grade by quality, I'd put this above Lane Ltd and a lot of the C&D blends I've tried.

If you ever get a yen for a smoke to inhale...D&R is THE quintessential blend. IMHO there is nothing as good.

BTW...do you know that Mark Ryan is roundly credited with saving Perique tobacco?

Oops!  Dang grammar AI.

The blend is Three Sails.  Gawith Kendal Gold is also epic.

———————————

I’ve got a shitload of rolling supplies, gear and tobacco that I’ll never use. Two primo rolling machines, boxes and boxes of tubes, about every D&R blend...plus others. I’d sell ‘em for a really good price plus shipping. I should go and make a list.

Mark Ryan brought some perique cigars to Chicago a couple years ago. Was just about the finest cigar I had ever smoked. I think I stuck the nub in a pipe and smoked it to ash.

Blackhorse":f93tsp3u said:
If you ever get a yen for a smoke to inhale...D&R is THE quintessential blend. IMHO there is nothing as good.

BTW...do you know that Mark Ryan is roundly credited with saving Perique tobacco?
I had heard that. I am very grateful! ;)

Carlos":2h06klzw said:
Mark Ryan brought some perique cigars to Chicago a couple years ago.  Was just about the finest cigar I had ever smoked.  I think I stuck the nub in a pipe and smoked it to ash.
Would love to try one of those!

I am about to finish my second pound of Picayune. I like it a lot too and think it is something anyone should try if they like perique. I smoke mine in the house. I was bringing my wife a cup of coffee the other day, she asked what I was smoking. I told her Picayune, and she said, "That really smells great!"

Fr_Tom":6u1wn9w0 said:
I am about to finish my second pound of Picayune. I like it a lot too and think it is something anyone should try if they like perique. I smoke mine in the house. I was bringing my wife a cup of coffee the other day, she asked what I was smoking. I told her Picayune, and she said, "That really smells great!"

Now, if I was bringing my wife a cup of coffee(and I do that a lot)while smoking my pipe, she would have said the same thing except she would have left off the word, great! :shock: :lol: :lol:

Corncobcon":skoh8x2l said:
Fr_Tom":skoh8x2l said:

Now, if I was bringing my wife a cup of coffee(and I do that a lot)while smoking my pipe, she would have said the same thing except she would have left off the word, great! :shock: :lol: :lol:
Ha!

Fr_Tom":hz3itpfa said:
Have you , or anyone else tried Rimboche sj? I wonder how it compares to Picayune. I am a little concerned about how often the N strength comes up. I dont want a blend that will give me a headache or make me nauseous but I adore Perique.

Fight'n Hampsters":3u1lqpt6 said:
Corncobcon":3u1lqpt6 said:
Fr_Tom":3u1lqpt6 said:

Ha!
Classic! :lol:

Cheers,

RR

Fr_Tom":15qgw6vb said:
The last time I tried Picayune it was in a white pac with 20 non filter cigs in it !! They made non filter Camels or Pall Malls seem supper mild and smelled to high heaven when burning !! If this D&R 'baccy is the same as was used in the cigs I can't understand how it will be any better in a pipe !! :twisted: :twisted:

I guess lots of recent attempts have been no good. Latest reviews at tobaccoreviews are a few one-stars.

Don’t listen to Monbla, he was smoking factory Picayune “little cigars” I gave him...not intended for inhaling. But ya can’t tell him anything (lol). He inhaled and didn’t like ‘em. The reviews on the website are from guys that wanted it to be something it’s not. In the form you buy it from a current vendor it is designed as a roll your own shag.  It may have been cut a bit more coarse to call it pipe tobacco and get around the ban on selling RYO shag online, or taxing it heavily, or whatever.  Its a VERY fast burn in a pipe. If you use a rolling machine and first class filtered tubes designated “full flavored” and roll it into a proper cigarette you will end up with a very fine product indeed. Just a bit stronger than the classic and wonderful Three Sails. If you smoke it in a pipe...use a Cob, pack it tight and sip it slow. It works fine.

Fight'n Hampsters":vmjxcmuy said:
Fr_Tom":vmjxcmuy said:
Have you , or anyone else tried Rimboche sj?  I wonder how it compares to Picayune.  I am a little concerned about how often the N strength comes up.  I dont want a blend that will give me a headache or make me nauseous but I adore Perique.
Oops - late response here...

I have never tried it. I claim it would be good.

Blackhorse":i4ilweja said:
If you use a rolling machine and first class filtered tubes designated “full flavored” and roll it into a proper cigarette you will end up with a very fine product indeed. Just a bit stronger than the classic and wonderful Three Sails.
That's interesting. I've rolled both with JOB 1.0 in an old stainless Rizla. I would have never associated the two. The Pic about killed me (as stated above). I'm surprised the filter helps and changes it that much. I like it well enough to give that a try. For sure.

I also pack it tightly in a cob. It's a preference, but I have also smooshed it good in a briar and enjoyed it there as well. I think I just really like the stuff. I do have a testy time keeping it at humidity. It likes to give up its moisture. I assume that is a good thing insofar as maybe not having toppings or minimal toppings.

I've been experimenting with combining it with Big N' Burley, but so far, I haven't found a worthwhile mixture.