Deer Tongue

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite deer tongue blend is H&H Old Tartan from Pipes and Cigars. I have also tried C&D's Crooner but found it so hard to keep lit that I didn't care to smoke it anymore.

Smokey

If anyone decides to gather wild deer tongue, dry it completely, and use a food chpper to turn it into very small flakes. When adding it to a blend, start by using 3-5%, up to about 10-12.5%, and make sure to mix it very well with your tobacco of choice. It really isn't meant to be sprinkled on top of a bowl, as it will turn bitter. While many folks sait tastes somewhat like vanilla, other only get an herbal sence.

As for Crooner, All cube cuts contain a lot of hidden, inner moisture. You need to dry it quite a bit for it to stay lit. And you'll need to use the gravity fill method.

John, thanks for the advice on Crooner. I did use the gravity fill method but did not dry it out, which is probably where my problem lies. I'll have to give it a try next time I smoke it.

Smokey

Being near the great North Woods of Wisconsin, I pictured you guys chopping up bits of venison and blending it with your favorite tobacco! :lol!:

As I recall, one , maybe two of the old Edward's blends back in the '70s were supposed to have "Deer's Tongue" in them. I can't recall which blend(s) they were, maybe some of the brothers who used to smoke some of their blends might remember.

it just sounds cool enough of an ingredient to have in a pipe tobacco that i'll probably get some so when some one asks me...

"What are you smoking?"

I can say

DEER TONGUE!

gotta be the best tobak for deer camp ...right?