Deer Tongue

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowflyingpenguin

Reaction score
I recall that years ago I could get tobacco blended up here that had deer tongue in it. I hadn't seen blends with it it for some time (perhaps I wasn't looking in the right places?) . I recently ordered a small amount of a blend with it from 4noggins as a change of pace from my regular v/p rotations. I have been noticing a lot of chatter about the coumarin content and issues with it by the FDA. Anyone know much about this? Is the deer tongue a spice that will ghost my pipes and should I dedicate pipes to my "test" run?

along the same lines...what the hell is deer tongue?

bruins":t5nijsqb said:
along the same lines...what the hell is deer tongue?

As I understand it, deer tongue is a wild growing plant that adds a vanilla flavor to tobacco.

Deertongue will ghost your pipe, I'm somewhat fond of Capitol Stairs (Hearth and Home) and Crooner (Cornell and diehl) and you can smell the deertongue and taste it on pipes evan after a good cleaning.

LV9":a63lnnov said:
Deertongue will ghost your pipe, I'm somewhat fond of Capitol Stairs (Hearth and Home) and Crooner (Cornell and diehl) and you can smell the deertongue and taste it on pipes evan after a good cleaning.
Cheers for the info! I'll use a couple of cobs I have until I determine that I want to sacrifice any of my meerschaums or briars.

20070703_pioneer_museum_deer_head_640x480.jpg

Damn Valky, your'e a Legend bro!!!! How the hell is that for a pic!!!
Looks Like Broom's after all that plumbcake you gave him

I think it is a bit late to collect that plant here.. I shall make it a point to wander in the many pine forests here next year.. I will collect a good amount and dry it out good and see if I can blend some in the proper type of tobacco and let it age.. This will take some time but it may be worth the try.. Thanks for the post info.. :cheers:
Chuck..

I'm surprised that there isn't a more extensive use of other plant material for flavoring instead of just extracts. There's a lot of smokable goodies out there that could lend awesome flavors to our leaf or even tobacco free pipe blends.

Crooner was my favorite, summertime cube burly for years. Then I got one bad batch of it (it happens) and haven't smoked it in perhaps 8 to 10 years. I need to give it a spin again next spring when the temps warm up. I thought that bit of deer tongue added a nice "tang" and subtle sweetness to the cubed burly.

The one downside to Crooner, and I find this with a couple of the Uhle's blends as well, is when you mix cube cut burly that burns slow to any kind of flake cut, the flake cut burns up quickly and I have little half-burned burly balls buried in the ash at the bottom of the bowl. It doesn't ruin the whole smoke, but I seem to prefer that the components of the tobacco be of a somewhat similar cut and size so they burn in unison. Just a minor annoyance for me, but something I've noticed with these mix blends. With Crooner I found that the deer tongue was rather noticeable early in the bowl, but disappeared by half way through. This cut/burn differential might be an explanation?

Natch

ZeroContent":23yy2ypg said:
I'm surprised that there isn't a more extensive use of other plant material for flavoring instead of just extracts. There's a lot of smokable goodies out there that could lend awesome flavors to our leaf or even tobacco free pipe blends.
You know it is funny that you say this- I thought about the same thing last week -why don't more pipe tobaccos use mint or bay or rosemary or pine or smoke fat even? It just seems to me that we could at least have a wild variability here, don't you?

B

ZeroContent":9g8hsf0t said:
Deer tongue.

My Gold Nugget Mixture from 4noggins has about 10% deer tongue in it.