Deer Tongue

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern Neil

Reaction score
Anyone here have any experience with Deer Tongue?

From what I have heard, it will add a natural vanilla flavor without the need of casing or flavorings. I ordered some from 4Noggins to play with, and it came as a literal powder. Not sure how to use this stuff. Can anyone offer any advise?

My only experience with deer tongue was in a blend by C&D called Crooner. It started off rather pleasant, but it got me to feeling a bit unwell by mid bowl, and it wasn't a strong tobacco as I recall.

My only experience with deer tongue has been when I shoot a deer and then follow the bloodtrail, I always find the deer with his tongue hanging out. It has never occurred to me to try and make use of the deer tongue, even though I can tell you that pig tongue is pretty good on a cracker, but I think it is necessary to mix some lips and peckers in with it to round out the flavors, so I never went to the trouble.

Dutch said: "but I think it is necessary to mix some lips and peckers in with it to round out the flavors"

Really? The lips don't sound too appetizing, but the peckers turned me off right away...not a pecker person.

For a change, I won't try hijacking... :shock: 

My guess is it get mixed in well and then steamed or heated to marry its flavor.

pepesdad1":mjvqdzi3 said:
pepesdad1 said:

Really? The lips don't sound too appetizing, but the peckers turned me off right away...not a pecker person.
Well I suppose we all have our "shortcomings".:fpalm: 

Sorry Walt I just couldn't let it go by.:oops: 

AJ

Yeah, that would be my shortcoming. Was thinking of a snappy comeback...but ...nothing.

Not sure at what percentage to mix it or how to apply it. I have had one experience with deer tongue. It was in a blend that Rich Gottlieb makes called Mojo. I remember thinking it was pretty good. I didn't realize I was smoking anything but tobacco until I looked it up on his site. This was a sample he sent me with an order I placed, so I wasn't seeking it out. If anything I was happy to get some free tobacco. :D 

If I find out I have unknowingly been smokin peckers, I am going to be pissed.

Dutch":8rd8tr0a said:
My only experience with deer tongue has been when I shoot a deer and then follow the bloodtrail, I always find the deer with his tongue hanging out. It has never occurred to me to try and make use of the deer tongue, even though I can tell you that pig tongue is pretty good on a cracker, but I think it is necessary to mix some lips and peckers in with it to round out the flavors, so I never went to the trouble.
Funny post of the day. :lol:

Back to the tobacco ingredient, though...I have some Russ O blend with the deer tongue in it, but haven't yet cracked it open. I have no idea what to expect.

8)

Storm_Crow":uy2llryc said:
My only experience with deer tongue was in a blend by C&D called Crooner. It started off rather pleasant, but it got me to feeling a bit unwell by mid bowl, and it wasn't a strong tobacco as I recall.
Tried some of this once. The DT was very present and did have a sort of vanilla character. Found out that it'll ghost a pipe something fierce too.

:silent: 

Cheers,

RR

Kelhammer":asr3ehoy said:
If I find out I have unknowingly been smokin peckers, I am going to be pissed.
You'll have to get a special pipe carved out of peckerwood for that.

Haha, this thread went off course :)

I guess my issue is with the "powder form" that the Deer Tongue came in. Can this be blended with tobacco normally, or does it require a special process? Or should this have been more of a ribbon cut and the batch I got is bad / to dry?

I know this is a rare condiment, but I figured the question is worth a shot.

G. L. Pease has that blog where he answers questions. Might be worth a shot. He's an outgoing guy and capable of a better response than we can provide.

I really enjoy deer tongue herb. I live near The Tobacco Barn and Tom "the mix-master" adds deer tongue to cubed barley for me. I have watched the process and its about a teaspoon of deer tongue to 4 oz of barley. You need to give the bag or tin a shake before loading your bowl becasue the deer tongue is a small dried leaf which breaks into small flakes. This blend is similar to Crooner (which I have never tried) but would like to for comparison. My wife always comments on the room note. Give it a try!

If you have it in a powder form you could cold steep (tea bag or coffee filter) it in whiskey or vodka maybe. Then spray it on lightly and letting it dry out a bit before committing to the jar. Kinda like making a herbal booze infusion. Don't heat it or you would end up with an herbal booze explosion.

I found Crooner to be harsh and very herbal, not much vanilla taste at all. It sure wasn't for me, and the people around me when I tried to smoke it absolutely hated the smell. How Bing Crosby smoked it, I dunno, but despite what the claim is, I doubt it was the only blend he smoked.