Delusion?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
puros_bran":5fxet2i9 said:
Who says a cob doesn't have a long lifespan?
Sorry, should've worded it differently. Sure a Cob can have a long lifespan, as I have a one that is 9 years old. But in general they don't last as long as a Briar or a Meer.

Rob_In_MO":a0y88a6q said:
puros_bran":a0y88a6q said:
Who says a cob doesn't have a long lifespan?
Sorry, should've worded it differently. Sure a Cob can have a long lifespan, as I have a one that is 9 years old. But in general they don't last as long as a Briar or a Meer.
Hmm...generalities for this subject have too many variables.

Briar is only as good as what lurks (or doesn't lurk) beneath the surface, and the ability of the smoker to care for it during & between smokes.

I think...in general...cobs get treated like throwaway objects and have gotten a poor stigma. If someone is aware of a cob's strengths and weaknesses, and minds their smoke, I'd bet a humble MM could last as long as any briar.

I wouldn't know personally.. I refuse to smoke a cob (ok a few times I have but is was dark and no one was around). Hillbilly stereo types haunt me. BUT I've seen some crusty old cobs I know are at least Vietnam Vintage.

I will give it this.. bang for the buck they can't be beat.

puros_bran":yjljwjc5 said:
I refuse to smoke a cob (ok a few times I have but is was dark and no one was around). Hillbilly stereotypes haunt me.
Well Brothers, now we all know what to bomb PB with! :twisted:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/myhnAZFR1po" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rob. I haven't really smoked in three and a half months. Bombing me with anything is kinda ridiculous.

puros_bran":rmc4pyl5 said:
Rob. I haven't really smoked in three and a half months. Bombing me with anything is kinda ridiculous.
Watch out, PB. The last time you said something like that, we had you dying of cancer and your stuff all divided up. :lol:

puros_bran":5wienekl said:
...I'm sure there's something we can bomb you with that you'd appreciate. It'll take some work, but really, eff you PB. 8)

Well, I remember that my math professor once said: "I'm not rich enough to buy cheap things".
As one of his student, I just want to add something: ".. and I don't have enough times and nerves to buy cheap things".

And Rick Newcombe has written in his book "In Search of Pipe Dreams" something like that: You have 100 pipes, 100$ each. You could sell 10 pipes to acquire 1 high grade pipe for 1000$ and I guess that you will love the high grade pipe and smoke it most often.

Totally agree! After over ten years of smoking and intensive collecting I can say that I could not find a better way than his to express my experience.
In fact, I gone even further in that I sold all my low and mid grade pipes to acquire 10 high grade pipes. I could not be more happy with my decision.

Kyle Weiss":fw7l20zr said:
puros_bran":fw7l20zr said:
...I'm sure there's something we can bomb you with that you'd appreciate. It'll take some work, but really, eff you PB. 8)

Maybe we should Bomb PB with a couple of good Aromatics - to lighten his mood. :twisted:
He has been kind of a grouch ass lately. Maybe it's because Kyle hasn't been posting as much... :mrgreen:

Thanks to everyone who replied.Now for the confession,most of my new pipes are meerschaum and the briars are estate.The reason for this post was to find out what the owners of expensive briars felt about them.I collect meerschaum because of the light weight ,artistry and smoking qualities.For 1000 dollars you can get a high quality briar or up to 10,depending on size,beautifully carved meeschaums.I do not regret my choice but I understand that not every one will agee with me.The posts about artisan pipes interested me and nudged me a little way to their point of view.Whatever you smoke enjoy it and I hope you find your perfect pipe.Pipeman1947 :pirate: :pirate:

He Jim. I forgot to ask.
Did you see who won the NCAA Tourney? Ain't it great to have THE Champions back in their rightful spot.

puros_bran":xtrffy2j said:
Also.

Sixten told a story about carving two pipes from the same block and down to the micrometer keeping them as close to identical as he could. One smoked far better than the other.

Apparently even spending 10-15k is no guarantee.
This is awesome because it sums up this whole argument pretty well: A pipe either has mojo or it doesn't. A great $50 pipe is equal to a great $300+ pipe. And a great $5 cob from Rite Aid is better than the lot because it only costs $5 :p I'd wager that 90% of what makes a pipe a "good" or "bad" or "outstanding" smoker is in our heads. But that is fine!

If you spend more it is because you are assuming the factory/artisan will do their best to properly construct the pipe and to source good quality briar to make it. Of course if one likes the shape, the bit etc. then much of one's value and enjoyment is derived from the overall style and/or brand.

My personal rule: if I think the pipe is nice/cool/handsome and it passes the basic construction standards then I'll buy it. Some smoke okay and some smoke wonderfully. there are many very expensive pipes that I would like to own but the price for me will dictate whether or not I want it that bad.

And I give as much love to my cobs and GBDs and W.O. Larsens yadda yadda as my Dunhills and Ashtons and Heeschens yadda yadda

I'm not sure why I'm contributing to this topic since this has come up so many times in the past but I'm going to anyways since I think there is general over site when it comes to this debate. Some folk eluded to it but at the end of the day it comes down to the individuals perception of value. Some folks find it very hard to see the value in a $80,000 car while others have no issue. Does the $80,000 car do a better job getting from A to B than a $15,000 car? Maybe its more comfortable, or better made but it won't change the fact that's its a mechanism to get you from A to B.

Having said all that, the fundamental question relating to the topic will never be answered due to the perception of the individual. Pipes are simple tools, a block of wood, a couple of holes and some plastic or rubber - kinda hard to screw that up. Now having said that companies like Castello take great pains in selecting and aging their briar - min of 10 years before they even touch it. History has shown that the older the briar the better the smoking qualities. Other companies hardly age their briar at all or put them through some process to boiling and curing. I can assure you that a 10+ year air aged briar will be better in every way than one that has not been aged (construction aside).

Now the crux. If you smoke crappy aromatics tobacco, guess what? The type of pipe you smoke it in doesn't matter. Smoke it in a boot if you want, chances are the pipe is going to make very little difference to the performance of the blend. Now the flip side, take a VA flake such as FVF, sure it will smoke fine in a lot of lower end pipes but it will really shine, and I mean really, in a properly aged and constructed pipe. My first ah-ha moment smoking pipes didn't arrive until I tried FVF in an estate Castello. Harmony. Just like cigars, sure there are some good cheap smokes but again, the expensive Cuban's are the standard. Sure there are some not so good Cuban cigars but overall you are getting something good.

Its an endless debate when it comes to this hobby that has no right answer however, like anything in the world of Capitalism, you get what you pay for.

puros_bran":bea6g5rx said:
He Jim. I forgot to ask.
Did you see who won the NCAA Tourney? Ain't it great to have THE Champions back in their rightful spot.
No, I didn't see who won the NCAA. I quit keeping up with college basketball after the SEC tourney.

Jim

It's getting kinda thick in here, IMHO.

If having pipes that are "artisanal" gets you off, go for it. But if the goofy shape adds to how well they smoke & taste, your imagination's supplying that part. (Of course, any pipe you really like, that's probably happening with. There's just some other trip going on with it).

Same if what does it for you is white dots on their stems (or white bars or whatever).

Of the dozen that get smoked here, THE pipe is an old Parker billiard. LL exorcised the unclean Lakeland spirits that were haunting it and made it a proper stem of lucite with the airway matched to its drilling. That pipe + Embarcadero = utopia. Its peers are named Bewlay, Loewe, Peterson, Castello, Drury Lane, Charatan and "Made in Denmark." A couple "names" in there, but only because they're very. very good smoking & tasting pipes (some after receiving LL attention).

Things have gotten crazy with pipes these last few years. But still, you can do better spending < $100 for an oldie but goodie you like & another $80 having LL turn it into a lucite-stemmed dream machine. Plus, it'll likely be well-seasoned briar by now & already broken in.

This year's "project pipe" is another Parker billiard (both straightgrains) -- a group 6 this time. Flea Bay cost was < $20. By the time Dr. Dave and LL work their magic with it, maybe $125.00 And as good as anything ever gets at 10X that.

:face:

IOW, the pipe + the trip = contentment.

There's probably nobody objective enough to eliminate the trip aspect entirely -- after all, that part of us is part of what enjoys the pipe in the first place.

But get it minimised, and a Parker or a Bewlay stand on an even footing with a Dunhill or a company era 4-Dot.

What separates the best modern pipes from the older ones is the airway through the stem. Tweak that and the advantage goes to maturity.

:face: