Deluxe Navy rolls and Escudo. What say you?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
I just got a tin of Dunhill Deluxe navy in after I traded a tin off. I have yet to try this, but I am wondering if it is the same thing as Escudo. There are lots of opinions online. I have not tried either but really want to. Just cracked the tin of Dunhill and the aroma is exquisite. I am really looking forward to trying it tomorrow. If they are not the same then what would you say the differences are? Would it be worth it to have both?

tarheel7734":ouzhthxr said:
I just got a tin of Dunhill Deluxe navy in after I traded a tin off. I have yet to try this, but I am wondering if it is the same thing as Escudo. There are lots of opinions online. I have not tried either but really want to. Just cracked the tin of Dunhill and the aroma is exquisite. I am really looking forward to trying it tomorrow. If they are not the same then what would you say the differences are? Would it be worth it to have both?
Just relying on tin notes will tell you the difference, although they both have a very pleasant smell. That and the older Escudo had a more pronounced tin scent then it does now.
I smoke both, rotating per month Escudo, one month DDNR and so on and, I can safely say
there not alike. Oh! maybe just a little because there both coin and are Vapers but, DDNR has more of a fresh hay note to it while Escudo is richer and creamier with a heavier note. Hard to really explain with my limited vocabulary but, I can assure you there is a difference.
Some say there the same just because there made by the same machines but, that's were it stops. I've been smoking Escudo to long not to notice a difference. ;)

I really would like to try a tin of Escudo. Maybe my secret santa will send a tin. Think my baccy budget is gone for the rest of the year and maybe untill feb or march.

You know what opinions are like (everyone has one). Mine is that I think they're the same, though I've smoked a lot more Escudo than I have DDNR. All I know is that the coins are exactly the same diameter and thickness. They are apparently produced in the same factory, even in the same room and on the same machines. Someone on the Interwebs did an experiment with pH strips and found that they have exactly the same acidity.

Back around the turn of the millennium, there was a rumor that Escudo was going out of production. DDNR was supposedly the same thing under a new name at that time.

The tins even have an identical little curlicue flourish on the label!

If they're not the same, they're so close as to defy at least my ability to tell them apart.

Haven't had DDNR but if they're the same, Escudo is the better buy bc it's usually about $5 cheaper. Cart is right about the creaminess of Escudo... I think that's what I like most, how rich Escudo tastes to me.

Old Nate":99cti0oo said:
Haven't had DDNR but if they're the same, Escudo is the better buy bc it's usually about $5 cheaper. Cart is right about the creaminess of Escudo... I think that's what I like most, how rich Escudo tastes to me.
I am glad you are enjoying it. My desire to try it was why I sent it to you. I won't ever send anything I wouldn't want for myself. I will have so.e soon enough to try thanks to a member here.

Escudo is one of the baccys that you want to always have on hand. It's a keeper!

While they do look almost exactly alike, I can tell a difference in the taste, too. I prefer the Navy Rolls, because it's earthier, slightly sweeter and unlike Cart, I think it's a little less grassy. I don't think it was meant to replace Escudo as was suggested because it's been in production for years. There was a time it was not available in the US (late 1990s through mid-2000s), but that had nothing to do with Escudo's production. I wonder if the variance topping makes the difference? Or maybe the proportions of the tobaccos are tweaked some how?

First off, Deluxe Navy Rolls  was a Murray's developed blend for Dunhill introduced by them in the early '90s. By this time Murray in Ireland was making ALL of Duhill's tinned blends sold by rretailers world wide. Dunhill only "blended" tobacco at it's stores in London, New York, Paris and the few others they had in the US. Later in 2000 ALL Dunhill's blends were bought by STG in Denmark and Dunhill began getting out of the tobacco product buisness. "Dunhill" is today a brand owned by STG in Denmark :twisted: But as far as Escudo goes, here's some very interesting info on it from that excellent site of the Dutch pipe smoker in Holland. I'm sure this is all "old News" to Ron but others here might find it interesting ! :twisted: :twisted:

http://dutchpipesmoker.wordpress.com/2014/02/11/escudo-the-vaper-king/

Nice article, monbla. I think he summed it up pretty well at the end... A straight forward, simple smoke, that makes you feel like you're coming home every time you crack a new tin.

JimInks":ti1qopdz said:
I wonder if the variance topping makes the difference?
This could well be the case. I need to try the DDNR again, I guess, to see if it's more different than I remember.

Resurrecting an old thread. I currently rate Escudo as my favorite tobac right now and am currently smoking a tin from 2013.

I just order a tin of DDNR and am looking forward to a comparison.

I'll post my 2 cents in about a week.

well I just popped open a tin of Deluxe Navy Rolls and in comparison to a 2 yr old tin of Escudo I can say that visually the DNR are more red in color and a bit darker. The aroma in the tin is much stronger than Escudo and more pungent.

Here are my tasting notes:

Sweet pungent aroma. More red than Escudo. Stronger in flavor deeper and heavier more pepper and pungenty. Escudo is more mellow this is more direct and in your face. Similar profiles but this smokes hotter but no tongue bite. I prefer Escudo but 2yrs of age may make the difference

I would say that NO they are not the same. Escudo is sweeter and more mellow where the DNR is stronger, has more pepper burns hotter (but still no tongue bite) with a heavier sweetness. DNR is Escudo on steroids but I wonder how much of a difference the 2 yrs of aging makes.

As of right now, the price difference isn't worth it for me. I'd take Escudo over DNR but we will see as I smoke down the tin.