Disappointed :(

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boulder&Briar

Reaction score
Well unfortunately I am not at NASPC show in Columbus right now. I feel defeated and really disappointed. Being that i have a full time job (45-50hrs a week) three children and a wife that works evenings, i have very little time to make pipes in the evenings and usually only have 6 hours or less on saturdays and sundays. I worked my ass off to go to this show, staying up till 2&3 am some nights working on pipes, and was even up till 3am last night doing some finishing touches. I woke up at 6am and showered, shaved, grabbed a cup of joe, a granola bar and was ready to drive 2.5 hours to attend the show. I then realized I didn't have any business cards left, not even a sign of any sort for my table.  Ok, no big deal I'll just get on the pc and print some stuff up. I figured I'll get there by 9-9:30 and be alright. Nope. New PC  doesn't have the same print program I had on my last one. I go online to Avery print and make my card, go to print it and it says I need adobe reader to be able to print it. Ok I'll just download it and wa-la! Nope, Internet quits working. Now I'm getting mad. So I decide I'll just wing it and use the last  few of the cards I hade from last year and put out a sign up for pipe update mailing list. I get out to the car, load everything up, get in and............. Wife left the interior light on and the battery was dead. It was at that point : 8:30 and by the time I would have been able to get the car up and running and get on the road it would be 11-11:30 before I got there. So let's see, $60 in gas, $60 for the table if it was still even available for me, no business cards, 3hrs. of sleep, and not feeling confident in anything at this point and asking myself if there's a reason for keeping me from going, I decided to swallow my pride and stay home ith my family a try to still have a good day. I really feel like I failed though. I should have been more prepared, and had everything done and ready to go a week ago :/ I feel even more like an idiot for pushing myself so hard and letting it take me over for the last month every spare moment I had. I have a few pipes I will post in the Town Crier when I get the opportunity to take the pictures and such. Now I'm going to curl up take a nap, and spend the rest of the day with my wife and kids and enjoy the things I'm already blessed with.  Sorry for long rant :sleep:

We are totally in the same boat with limited time to make pipes. I run out to the garage and put in 10 or 15 minutes a couple of times a day. IF I'm lucky and everyone goes to bed at a reasonable hour I MIGHT get another hour or two in at night....if I'm not too tired.

Sorry you missed the show. The KC show is the only one I have attended and I'm not going to get to go to another one this year, or Chicago next year. It will be KC in June before I am able to make another show. Maybe next fall after my little one is weened I will be able to start making the show circuit. I would be totally pissed too, if I had a show that close and couldn't go at the last minute.

Head up young man......ya do good work and that's always something to keep out in front of ya.

I hear you bro. Sorry about your difficulties. I understand a little about how you feel. I haven't turned on my lathe in 3 weeks because my "real" job has been taking up all my free time lately. I'm starting to get pipe making withdrawal.

Keep on pluggin' away. Perseverance is the key in this business. Take a time out, get up, dust yourself off, and keep forging ahead.

No need to apologize for the rant either. We all need to vent from time to time.

Thanks for the kind words Scottie and Jesse, I'm definitely in need of a time out/ mini vacation. I have a stone carving job I start next weekend and will take up a couple of weekends but its guaranteed money. After that I'm taking a much needed break. I just don't like feeling like like I'm missing out on the opportunity that the shows offer. It's the best way to market yourself as a pipe maker. Things happen for a reason though sometimes and maybe I just need to reflect on things and be better prepared for next year and hone my skills in the meantime. Even if it takes 10 years to be a successful pipe maker, I will do so.

Boulder&Briar":iixmya6r said:
Even if it takes 10 years to be a successful pipe maker, I will do so.
That's the spirit brother, things don't always work out, but positive vibes, determination and patience pays off in the end.

Sorry to hear about your disappointment, hopefully your day turns around, sir! 8) 

B&B, It sounds like you weren't suppose to go, almost like something was keeping you at home for a good reason. 2 1/2 hour drive on a early Saturday morn can be dangerous, it may have saved your life or lives of others. I have always believed there's a reason for everything. Think back, to have that many things happening against you at that moment is not part of the norm. I'd be thankful for my family and having a good job that supports them well. There are many who don't have what you have and wish they had just a small part of what you have. As far as a pipe show, there's always the next one.

Sorry it didn't happen for you Buddy, I'm with Ron on this one chap, the fates were compelling you to remain at home and no doubt for good reason, I for one am very happy you listened to them, something truly horrible must have been lurking in the shadows and you have avoided it, that much at least is cause for celebration. Hopefully everything lines up properly next year chap, by then you will have an array of pipes ready that will blow everyone's mind, stay strong my friend, it'll all work out if you make the right moves as my Da' was fond of saying. :sunny: 

Thanks guys, and I believe there has to be a blessing in disguise, cause lord know I put in my best efforts to make it happen. But now I sit at home and I'm about to have a great day with my family and celebrate the day and all of it greatness. Going to put up a new swing for my kids now. Have a great day my friends.

i hear ya, dude. so sorry you didn't make it :-(

a wife, two kids, four cats, one dog, one house, three businesses. FML!

you should post the pipes in the marketplace here - maybe you can sell 'em all without having to pay for gas and cards and all that good stuff!!!!!! not the same as being at the show, but it's a good outcome!

xoxo,
doody

Good practice for when times get really annoying. ;)

You do nice work; so the real losers are those who don't get to see or buy one of your piopes. Poor Bastards! :)

Boulder&Briar":8fv3wbtq said:
Now I'm going to curl up take a nap, and spend the rest of the day with my wife and kids and enjoy the things I'm already blessed with.  Sorry for long rant :sleep:
Sometimes we need a reminder on exactly what blessings we have but we don't often stop to heed it.

Cartaphilus":1s6ifhqb said:
B&B, It sounds like you weren't suppose to go, almost like something was keeping you at home for a good reason. 2 1/2 hour drive on a early Saturday morn can be dangerous, it may have saved your life or lives of others. I have always believed there's a reason for everything. Think back, to have that many things happening against you at that moment is not part of the norm. I'd be thankful for my family and having a good job that supports them well. There are many who don't have what you have and wish they had just a small part of what you have. As far as a pipe show, there's always the next one.
Enjoy the break...I've found that the harder you push against life, the harder she will push back.  I agree with Cart., may have saved yourself from something really unfortunate.

Wife and kids, count your blessings!

B&B....I feel for ya'!!! There are just those days when everything just turns to sheeeit; no matter what we do!!! Old saying we had in my Air Force days..."Some days you get the bear; some day's the bear gets you!!!:twisted: Hang in there, bud!! FTRPLT

So sorry to hear about the disappointment of not making the show. I know how frustrated you must feel at the moment. It looks to me that you are doing the important part of not dwelling on woulda/coulda/shoulda. Lesson learned, now off to enjoy your family. Good on you!

Sorry to hear this man. Upside to it is we, the great unwashed masses (ok I am speaking of myself) will get the chance to purchase more of your pipes when you post them in the Town Crier :face: 

Sorry your plans fell through brother! I find these things generally happen for a reason. Much better to just chill with the fam. than to tempt fate. Hope things work out better next time!

Jim

I'm sorry the fates conspired against you, brother.

It really speaks to what a stand-up guy you are that A. you recognize upfront that priority #1 is providing for your family and B. in the time that you you do have, you're still bound and determined to make your pipemaking dreams work.

No excuses, no entitlement, no whinging--that's the kind of person I want to do business with. All the best for the future, man.

Really crappy luck brother - you have my sympathies.

Sounds like you did the right thing and were able to pull the plug and walk away from possibly further frustration.

Fraternally

Jers

Thanks again babes :) and gentlemen for the kind words. And Doc, your statement is the exact description of the burning ember in my heart and soul, much like the ember in a packed pipe that makes everything around produce the wonderful and flavorful smoke we all love and enjoy. My body like the pipe, taking all the abuse for a lifetime of enjoyment :cheers: 
I had a great day with my kids while my wife got some much need R&R. My daughter (10) and my baby boy Liam (8 mths) took a nice hike through the metro parks and watched the sunset while also watching the deer in the field hanging out with a single coyote. Blew my mind to see that.