Do any of you guys in South Africa know...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Proudly South African, and yes LL, none of us seem to be ungentlemanly in this regard, so I second that!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 3 cheers!

The intent of the law is to prevent others from illegally profiting from using your work. This website doesn't even have any advertising, let alone anything to sell. The picture is not even being used to promote the site on search engines or anything like that. If the artist tried to sue for using the picture, she would have to prove some kind of monetary damage and that someone profited by using the picture or damage to her reputation took place. If she can't prove that, the case would be thrown out. We are simply appreciating her fine photography, something that fits well within Fair Use laws. Passion for Pipes, on the other hand, actually does have a merchandising section, so he probably does need permission since (though I am sure this isn't true, this is how the lawyer would portray it) it could be construed that he is using the picture to draw readers to his site in the hope that they will buy something from him.

Carlos":7vqm1jrx said:
Piet, you shoot a Hoyt or just wear the hat? I was always a Ben Pearson shooter myself.
Proudly American Carlos!!!
Yes I do shoot Hoyt.
I am a Recurver by trade and now shoot the Nexus with CX 900 limbs @ 37 pounds. I have shot two national and 9 provincial medals with this setup!!
My compound bow, is used for hunting only not target and it is a lazer tech, @ 75 pounds!
Know about Pearson but they are scares around these parts.
Here the compound bows that feature are:
Hoyt
Mathews
Bear
Bowtech
PSE
Martin
I think here in RSA Hoyt and Mathews have taken more game than anywhere else in the world!!!

Carlos":g0hl0e8t said:
Piet, you shoot a Hoyt or just wear the hat? I was always a Ben Pearson shooter myself.
Not to hijack this rapidly evolving post, but in just under two weeks SWMBO and I are going to spend a couple of nights in Ben's "old" cabin. His son owns the farm (1400 acres I think) and has built two more, very unique cabins on it. He's also quite a bow hunter himself.

Check out the cabins: http://www.longbowresorts.com/

Just over an hour drive for me and quite secluded.

Natch

holy crap, natch! that's awesome. what a great time you'll have. i'm jealous big time!!! probably too cold to swim in that.

Natch":qfr6eyfb said:
Carlos":qfr6eyfb said:
Not to hijack this rapidly evolving post, but in just under two weeks SWMBO and I are going to spend a couple of nights in Ben's "old" cabin. His son owns the farm (1400 acres I think) and has built two more, very unique cabins on it. He's also quite a bow hunter himself.

Check out the cabins: http://www.longbowresorts.com/

Just over an hour drive for me and quite secluded.

Natch
Oh Man Natch, that looks cool bro,
Mudd......... bowhunt and fish!!!!!!! Natch we are coming over to your place to discuss travel plans bro!!

Muddler":wipltbx9 said:
What a brilliant image. I was hunting in the Karoo - the area this man hails from - a few years back. They have a rich heritage of pipe smoking (not all of it tobacco). Of course my pipe made me instantly popular with the local farm hands, one of whom asked if I had a spare pipe for her (yes, her). Of course I did. On another hunt, in another part of the country, I came across an old man who was smoking a Keyser which had burnt through & which he had repaired with duct tape. Said it smoked just fine. I offered him one of my pipes but he refused saying he only smoked Keysers (which, by the way are really bad pipes) & since he could not afford a new one, this one would do. Well, I have a Keyser sitting here at home waiting for my next trip into that area.

Pipe smoking is very much part of the SA history. I remember seeing a picture of a young Nelson Mandela with a pipe in his mouth. Sadly, I did not save the picture & have been unable to find it. Our previous president, Thabo Mbeki, is a pipe smoker. Guess we're in good company.
Yup, photo of http://pienaar.info/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/robert_sobukwe_141.jpg and http://pienaar.info/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/thabo_mbeki1-150x150.jpg smoking a pipe. With the anti-smoking campaign, every picture of Madiba smoking a pipe is probably destroyed.  :D