Do any pipemakers other than Peterson offer the P-Lip?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JM":inndzdwp said:
Here's a good picture of a Vauen p-lip variant (looks same as a Pete). I'm not a fan myself,tried it on two different Peterson pipes (Killarney & Aran). They just have too tight a draw for my tastes.
plip-vauen1.jpg

Some series made by Vauen are available with the Peterson (P-lip) bit. I'm a fan of the style myself, having suffered from vicious tongue bite on certain occasions.

I have a Peterson Standard System with the P-lip, and like it quite well. And several Vauen's with the style, and am pleased with the performance of all. If I have a complaint with the Vauens, it is that they have sharp edges on the entry surface of the bowls. A little 320 or 400 grit sandpaper solves that problem.

With the Vauens, typically I don't use the filter, unless it is very strong tobacco with a high 'vitamin N' content. The charcoal cuts that back a bit.

forsooth":xk1yjm14 said:
Thanks for the info. I've got 3 or 4 Wellingtons, and they seem to be quality pipes.

However, their "P-lip" isn't really a P-lip, because the air hole comes straight out of the bit, rather than having Peterson's upturned flair in order to direct smoke toward the roof of the mouth.
Ha! I've got a Wellington I've had for 40 years or more and never noticed that, but by golly, you're right. Duh!

The Dr. Grabow Omega is a p-lip style...it works well and for $30 I think it's a good deal...

I recently obtained Dr's Omega from Ebay, and it's my first p-lip (and military bit) pipe.
I'm a clencher, and this pipe is the only one I have that I'm comfortable having just hanging from my teeth. (Others I firmly clench.)

I have an estate Oldenkott with p-lip. I have no any idea of it's age as Oldenkotts aren't into business any more.