Do Spirit Toppings (rum, etc.) Ghost? (Pipe Dedication)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Tkach

Reaction score
If a navy flake is composed of VA and Perique, but has a noticeable rum topping, would you smoke it in your VAPer pipe or dedicate a separate pipe? Would you keep one pipe for spirit-topped blends regardless of constituent tobaccos (GLP Navigator has Kentucky), or have separate pipes for rum-topped VAKY and rum-topped VAPer?

I've never experienced any ghosting issues with rum or whisky topped blends. Even after multiple bowls in a row. I don't think it's significant enough to influence the cake. In fact the spirit character seems to burn off rather quickly in my experience.

My 2c anyhoo.

Cheers,

RR

I've tried MANY of the supposed Rum TOPPED ( as opposed to CASED which ALL tobaccos are in their production to make smokeable).Navy blends over the years and really not found ANY that added much Rum flavoring except the old Player's Navy Cut flake that used to be sold over here back in the early '70s . And with the heat from the burning tobacco ALL the alchol and rum flavoring burned off during the smoke. The ONLY blends which I have found to really "ghost" any pipes I have when smoked have been the "Lakeland" style of blends as well as outright fruit flavored Arometrics such as many of the "Cherry" blends. But I probably have burned out my palate over the last 50 years of smoking so what would I know  :twisted: :twisted:

So I take it you like the fruit ghosting, Monbla. Tomato is a fruit, you know! :D

It seems like I should be OK smoking these in the same pipes I would anyway, which is what I plan on doing. MacB's Navy Flake will go in a pipe I've smoked VA-Bur Cavendish blends in to good effect!

Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream will ghost a briar badly. It's topped with Cognac.

Thomas Tkach":r3wia32y said:
So I take it you like the fruit ghosting, Monbla. Tomato is a fruit, you know! :D

It seems like I should be OK smoking these in the same pipes I would anyway, which is what I plan on doing. MacB's Navy Flake will go in a pipe I've smoked VA-Bur Cavendish blends in to good effect!
I know tomatoe's are a fruit, but NONE of my pipes have ANY tomatoe ghosting, really nothing but good straight fermented Flue Cured Va flavors :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":13hn2dfi said:
Thomas Tkach":13hn2dfi said:

I know tomatoe's are a fruit, but NONE of my pipes have ANY tomatoe ghosting, really nothing but good straight fermented Flue Cured Va flavors :twisted: :twisted:
Funny, I thought there tomatoes in ketchup! ;)

Thomas Tkach":fttz8hul said:
monbla256":fttz8hul said:
Thomas Tkach":fttz8hul said:

Funny, I thought there tomatoes in ketchup! ;)
Like you said there ARE tomatoes in ketchup! But NO ketchup in McC's tobacco !! :twisted: :twisted: But to make everyone happy Greg Pease and Mike McNiel don't know what they are doing or say and ALL Red Va's have ketchup in them :twisted: :twisted:

Back on topic: BD says no ghost, DaB says cognac ghosts, and Monbla says his input is not good because his tongue is shot. It looks like we've got a tie.

Some will ghost a pipe and some will not. Navy Flake won't. Most rum and whisky blends won't.

Thomas, I don't know for certain that Cognac ghosts, but Bagpiper's Dream surely does. I also smoke Pembroke which is a cognac topped English. No ghost there, other than a subtle sweetness from the booze and the Latakia of course.

Thomas Tkach":2bpuhup4 said:
Back on topic: BD says no ghost, DaB says cognac ghosts, and Monbla says his input is not good because his tongue is shot. It looks like we've got a tie.
:lol!: :lol!: :cheers: :cheers: