Do you actually rotate?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't rotate or rest my babies in a formal manner, and having around two dozen pipes (three dozen if you count all the Brissitt bowls for my Kirsten pipes) I can smoke a straight Va. three pipes in a row and use different pipes each time. However, after I smoke and clean a pipe, I leave the stem out and put it back in the pipe rack upside down (hanging upside down for air flow) and in a day or three when I'm looking for another pipe to fill, I partially replace the stem and return it to its normal position. It seems to allow me to give them at least a day or so rest before I use them again, and don't have to think about it.

I like not thinking. :mrgreen:

Natch

Hey guys, what would happen if I smoked the pipe I smoked today tomorrow?

PipedJimmy":bhci818v said:
Hey guys, what would happen if I smoked the pipe I smoked today tomorrow?
The Tobacco gods will freeze your lips to that pipe and it will have to be surgically removed. Scarring you both mentally and physically for life.

Yes, I have a rotation scheme that ensures that each of my pipes are smoked once a month at the most. It used to be once every three weeks, but now reached the month due to some recent aquisitions. It's what works the best for me.

mentally and physically?! I'm not sure I could take that lol just wanted to know whether it would have any detrimental effects on the pipe, I'm breaking in a new Savinelli which fits a sh*t load of tobacco in it and it would be a shame to leave it to rest.

I've dedicated pipes to english, balkans, VaPer's, drug store burleys, etc or a single go to blend for the sake of ghosting. Mississippi Mud and Mixture 79 get their own pipe because they are loaded with ghosts. On average, a single pipe sees no more than one smoke a day. The same pipe rarely gets smoked more than twice a day since I like a variety of tobaccos during the day.

I dont have the opportunity to smoke every day. So I have no rotation at all , I just pic the pipe i feel like smoking and enjoy.
At times the same pipe may get smoked a couple days in a row.
I have seperate pipes for english blends though. Evan if I did smoke daily I wouldn't have a set rotation. It seems more enjoyable
to smoke the pipe i want on any given day.

Joe :pipe:

I have no set rotation. Like others I kind of grab the pipe that best suits the blend I feel like smoking. I tend to smoke that blend (and pipe) for the rest of the day. If smoking more than one blend that day then I usually change pipes at the same time. Afterwoods I usually let the pipe rest a day or two. The exception would be my meerschaums, which I mainly smoke English blends in and have been known to smoke them a couple of days in a row before giving a rest.

No particular rotation either, I just make sure they get @ least a day's rest (preferably two) between smokes. Speaking of smokes, it's about time fer a bowl!

I decide what tobacco I am going to smoke, then select a pipe that fits my mood at that moment. I always rest my pipes...
That's exactly what I do, and that's what I call a rotation. It would never occur to me to smoke a given assigned pipe on a given assigned day.

To truly rotate n amount of days you would have to create a doc that says when the pipe was last smoked-too much work for me.

I try to rotate at least 3 days, but I'm sure that when I search my memory for when a pipe has had sufficient rest, those pipes that have had 2 days blur with those who have had 3 or 4.

alfredo_buscatti":1m3k4ezh said:
To truly rotate n amount of days you would have to create a doc that says when the pipe was last smoked-too much work for me.
It's a simple project in Access. Just use conditional formatting - if last smoked date is <date()-7 then turn the background in the field light green.

Buddy

alfredo_buscatti":tkte2lup said:
To truly rotate n amount of days you would have to create a doc that says when the pipe was last smoked
It isn’t that complicated. Simply have the pipes in order and smoke the next one in line. I know how often I smoke, therefore it’s easy to know how long it takes before reaching the end and start it over again. I have three “carrousels,” one for orientals & latakia blends, another for VA & VA/Per, and the other for burleys, and take a pipe from the corresponding group depending on the desired type of blend (yes, I also choose the blend first, then the pipe). There are enough pipes in each to ensure that each pipe is smoked once a month at the most, at my present smoking rate. That’s it.