Do you actually rotate?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout Bum

Reaction score
Greetings, fellow pipesters. I have in my humble collection: three Petes, one Stan, two Ashtons, a Boswell, one Rinaldo, a Nording, and a basket pipe that LL turned into a superlative smoker. I do not smoke every day, but maybe four or five times a week, sometimes only one time a week. (With a new baby, I now smoke outside... and with a new baby, my free time is limited. But when I can get a smoke in, I find it to be even more fulfilling, in that it is kind of more of a treat, as opposed to just something to do...) Ya, so, to get to the point, I do not "rotate" my pipes, per se, but instead decide what tobacco I am going to smoke, and then select a pipe that fits my mood at that moment. I always rest my pipes, though some might get smoked twice, or once in a while, three times in a week. How many of you Brothers out there straight up rotate through your collection? If you do, does the pipe of the day in your rotation dictate what tobacco to smoke? (ie a virginia/flake in your smaller pipes, and English/burley/others in your larger pipes) Just curious, and thanks in advance to all who respond.

Not an "organized" rotation,
but I rest my pipes for a couple
of days after smoking em.
Some get smoked every three days,
some get neglected.

I don't rotate my pipes. I tend to smoke a pipe many times in a row until I want a different one. I haven't found that there is any affect on flavor by doing so, but I know others believe that they do.

...but if you believe rotating is essential and you need more of my pipes to fill out your rotation, then I do indeed believe that rotation and rest is essential!

:pipe:

Jeff

No I pick up what I brought with me...

I grab between 2-4 pipes before I hit the road.. I smoke then for roughly 1 week, sometimes up to three (I forget to grab them out of the truck sometimes)..... When I'm home I grab which ever one is calling me.

Rotations are fer the mentally ill..... "Its Wednesday, time to smoke the Castello Searock billiard" "Its Thursday time to smoke the Nanna Pipe" "Oh joy, its Friday, time for the Ashton, again"

That kinda predictability will make you old.... Live a little my Brothers, smoke Saturdays pipe today.. You wild and crazy guy you....

I don't do a rotation per se but I do pick the pipe for the tobacco I am going to have. I only have 2 pipes dedicated to specific tobaccos but have pipes for Virgina only, Vaper only, English/Balkan only, and if I smoke an aromatic it is in a meer. I tend to pay more attention to tobacco rotation than pipe rotation. I do have enough pipes that assures about a week's rest between smokes. I typically smoke 3-4 bowls per day and use 3-4 pipes per day. I don't think that what I do is necessary. I just like a good, clean pipe and of course the more rest you give them the more often one gets to indulge in PAD. :twisted:

No literal rotation here, I've got a small collection and I decide which pipe and tobacco at the time I decide to have a smoke. ...

I have a pretty good rotation, just go down a different row on my racks that week; however, I don't let this stop me from smoking a particular pipe if I feel like it.

First of all, congratulations on the new edition to the family.

I have about 14 pipes that I smoke religiously. Those pipes change at times with the addition or subtraction from my collection. Over the course of about two weeks I'll smoke all of those at least once. There are usually specific tobaccos I have for each pipe, though I tend to forget some times. The pipes are more or less categorized, informally, based on what I'm doing. So if I'm working at my desk, I need something light that won't slow me down. If I'm writing a lot, I tend to smoke about three or four pipes constantly, rotating them. After that, when I'm relaxing, I'll go to the other heavier pipes. I find as the years have gone on, that I'm pretty consistent with that behavior.

Even' All, No rotation, but if smoking Vas. those pipes get the work, same goes for Lat. and Burley pipes but having so many pipes it's still a crap shoot, Ken :lol!: :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

My wife tells me sometimes to "Sit on it and rotate!" whatever that means.

Winslow :sunny:

Winslow":vu26k1ou said:

That came to mind when I saw the heading, great minds think alike eah?
Maybe it's got something to do with lap dancing? :twisted:

I usually try to give a pipe a day or two off at least, there are some favorites I smoke daily for several days then move on to another. No real set pattern, I'm like P_B on that, don't believe in getting anal about such things. I have two pipes dedicated to Aro's and two to VA's other than that it's a free for all.

My pipes are more or less dedicated to tobaccos - usually a specific blend. So I choose the tobacco & then the pipe that fits. Some pipes (like the GBD's dedicated to FVF) are smoked almost daily. Others see monthly duty or less.

Winslow":3fahxip9 said:

Don't do it!! That shit hurts! :shock:

I probably do something similar to you. What tobacco is the first choice. That limits my pipe choices. I then pick what fits the mood. But I am careful not to smoke the same pipe 2 days in a row, unless I am traveling and only have a limited set of pipes with me.

-Andrew

I am a relative newbie. I have fewer than a dozen pipes. I usually smoke at least 2 or 3 of them in a day. I probably go through at least 6 bowls and often - especcialy when fishing or golfing - enjoy a dozen or more bowls in a day. I don't consciously rest or rotate any although some get more use than other. Am i doing something wrong or damaging my pipes by not deliberately 'resting' pipes?

If you clean them and let them dry between smokes, they'll be absolutely fine. Briar is hard to kill.

Oh yes, I will smoke 2 or 3 different pipes in a day to let them cool and not get so sour between smokes. Today, 2 Petersons, a Dunhill, and a Savinelli are out...

MisterE":m2d5g0o8 said:
Oh yes, I will smoke 2 or 3 different pipes in a day to let them cool and not get so sour between smokes. Today, 2 Petersons, a Dunhill, and a Savinelli are out...
Because you're smoking several pipes a day, you're fine. If you were smoking the same pipe all day (which I have done plenty of times), then you have to give it a good week's rest.

No real rotation, but I try not to smoke the same pipe more than once a day. I have 10 pipes, and smoke about four bowls a day. One of my pipes is dedicated to latakia and very heavy VA blends, in the other nine I smoke light-heavy VAs, and this represents my tobacco preferences pretty well. Never cared to have a formal rotation, I just pay attention to when my pipes get bitter or start to burn out.