Doblone d'Oro and Brunello Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsu92john

Reaction score
Anyone else tried these new Savinelli offerings? I've been smoking them daily for the last several days, and I have to say that so far I'm impressed. While it takes time to really get to know any tobacco, at this point I could easily see myself wanting to keep both of them on hand. Both of these are medium-strength tobaccos that could be all-day smokes for most.

Doblone d'Oro 
"The choicest Virginias, Burleys and dark fired Kenyan leaf are enhanced with an impeccable addition of spicy Perique, then aged to perfection before being spun into enticingly beautiful, zesty coins. A delightfully vivacious and flavorful smoke."
This looks a little bit like a darker Three Nuns--small, somewhat haphazard coins with lots of loose bits scattered around. The taste is what I imagine ODF would taste like with an infusion of Perique, peppery and smoky rather than sweet. It's quite satisfying.

Brunello Flake
"An impeccably structured blend. Featuring a foundation of sweet, tangy Virginias and cool burning Burleys, a dash of Macedonian leaf is added to round out the mixture and add a hint of the exotic. The different leafs are then aged as one, in order to marry and harmonize flavor, prior to being pressed into a tantalizing flake."
This consists of broad, thin, floppy flakes similar in appearance to Klondike Gold or 4th Generation 1931. The aroma on opening the tin was very pungent and apple-ciderish. The taste is sweet and tangy, with the Burley component adding body. There may be a light topping at work here, but I wouldn't put money on it one way or the other.

I'm interested in knowing what others think of these.

I'm working my way through a tin of Doblone d'Oro right now. Not bad! A VaPer more in the style of 3 Nuns. The Perique is there, but the dark fired seems to really set the tone. Nothing like Escudo at all. I haven't tried the Va. flake offering yet, but I was pleasantly surprised by the Doblone, so it might be pretty good, too.

Git sum!  ;)

I'm seriously considering added a tin of each of these to my next tobacco order. Thinks for the input.

I haven't tried the Doblone d'Oro yet, but I've been smoking the Brunello and enjoy it. A rather sweet, mellow Va. I'll be posting my review of it soon.

Thanks for the reviews. Wasn't aware of these blends, but will certainly give them a try. I'm particularly  excited about the Perique in the Doblone D'Oro. Hope it is similar to the Villiger blend that was discontinued (Cocktail Hour, I think it was).

Well, I've finally tried them both. The Brunello is great but didn't strike the right nerve for me. The Dublone D'Oro is also really good and squarely punched that requisite nerve for me. I have a new infatuation with it now.